Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2022, 10:29 AM

9,906 posts, read 6,617,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
Thank you. But I was hoping for a list of projects that are actually under construction. Very few of those are under construction.
Under construction in Houston

TMC3
Levit Green
East River Phase 1
Terminal D expansion/renovation
River Oaks District expansion/renovation
Skanksa building by Discovery Green
Montrose Collective (might be finished by now)
Theatre District

That’s what I can think of off the top of my head. TMC3 obviously the biggest of them all with East River second (they’re arguably entire neighborhoods). It’s good that HOU & Dallas were already going through a construction boom before FIFA World Cup. Hopefully they’ll add some more as well between here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 10:33 AM

6,698 posts, read 9,955,792 times
Quote:
Only in your imagination...

I'd really like to see a list buildings that are currently under construction...
What’s in my imagination?!?

2401 McKinney - approved and will be the HQ of CBRE
McKinney and Lemmon - approved and waiting for construction
2999 Turtle Creek - planned Mandarin Oriental Hotel
23Springs - U/C with the demolition of current office buildings. Bank of the Ozarks have signed on as lead tenant
Maple Terrance - mixed used development that’s U/C. Crane is already up.
2811 Maple - U/C current structure demolished
The Quad - U/C
Harwood No. 14 -U/C with Haynes and Boone as lead tenant
Parkside Uptown - planned
McKinney and Boll - construction was just announced on May 2022 in the DMN. It’s expected to start later this year
The Vivante at Turtle Creek - planned
2500 Cedar Springs - planned
Four Seasons Turtle Creek - approved with construction starting soon

Old 06-27-2022, 10:38 AM

679 posts, read 276,130 times
Under construction in Houston

TMC3
Levit Green
East River Phase 1
Terminal D/E/FIS expansion/renovation
River Oaks District expansion/renovationnot sure anything is under construction here
Skanksa building by Discovery Green
Montrose Collective (might be finished by now) Yes, essentially finished
Theatre District (Lynn Wyatt Square for the Performing Arts)
Texas A&M Complex in Texas Medical Center
Baylor College of Medicine/St. Lukes McNair Campus
Parkside Residences at Discovery Green
Houston Methodist Centennial Tower

Old 06-27-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
What’s in my imagination?!?

2401 McKinney - approved and will be the HQ of CBRE
McKinney and Lemmon - approved and waiting for construction
2999 Turtle Creek - planned Mandarin Oriental Hotel
23Springs - U/C with the demolition of current office buildings. Bank of the Ozarks have signed on as lead tenant
Maple Terrance - mixed used development that’s U/C. Crane is already up.
2811 Maple - U/C current structure demolished
The Quad - U/C
Harwood No. 14 -U/C with Haynes and Boone as lead tenant
Parkside Uptown - planned
McKinney and Boll - construction was just announced on May 2022 in the DMN. It’s expected to start later this year
The Vivante at Turtle Creek - planned
2500 Cedar Springs - planned
Four Seasons Turtle Creek - approved with construction starting soon
That the rest of your list is either under construction or about to break ground soon (of course "about to break ground soon" is a subject statement subject to lots of fudging; Hence the reason for desiring a list of projects actually under construction; it avoids the question of whether a project with no financing, no building permits and little likelihood of getting financing can really be categorized as "about to break ground soon".

- 2401 McKinney seems like a sure thing; I can't figure out what's holding it up. Nevertheless, it is not yet under construction.
- 2999 Turtle Creek - Not under construction. Not likely to be any time soon.
- 23Springs seems legitimately close to being under construction, but AFAIK is still just clearing the site.
- Maple Terrace - yes, under U/C
- 2811 Maple - Lot cleared. Should see construction soon, but not so far. Let's keep an eye on it.
- The Quad - Yep, U/C
- Harwood No. 14 - U/C
- Parkside Uptown - Planned. Indeed. Announced 2 1/2 years ago and nothing has happened.
- McKinney & Boll - initially announced about 6 years ago. DMN told us then that construction would start in 2017. If I had a dollar for every time a construction timetable given us by Steve Brown was not achieved...
- Vivante at Turtle Creek - obviously not under construction. Have no idea as to its likelihood
- 2500 Cedar Springs - Ditto. Not under construction. Pretty speculative, it seems.
- Four Seasons Turtle Creek - construction not yet scheduled. We'll see.

So, your list of 13 projects includes 3 buildings actually currently under construction.

In fairness, here are a few you left off your list:

JW Marriott - 2000 Ross
Matthews Southwest Apt Bldg @ old Dallas High School: 15-story apartment building
Kairoi Residential Apt Bldg: 12-story apartment building at 2620 Maple Ave in Uptown.
Swexan Hotel: 19-story hotel in Harwood District.

So, together, we've come up with 7 buildings under construction:

Maple Terrace - 22 stories
Harwood No. 14 - 25 stories
Swexan Hotel - 19 stories
The Quad - 12 stories
JW Marriott -
Apts @ Old Dallas High School - 15 stories
2620 Maple - 12 stories

Old 06-27-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
That the rest of your list is either under construction or about to break ground soon (of course "about to break ground soon" is a subject statement subject to lots of fudging; Hence the reason for desiring a list of projects actually under construction; it avoids the question of whether a project with no financing, no building permits and little likelihood of getting financing can really be categorized as "about to break ground soon".

- 2401 McKinney seems like a sure thing; I can't figure out what's holding it up. Nevertheless, it is not yet under construction.
- 2999 Turtle Creek - Not under construction. Not likely to be any time soon.
- 23Springs seems legitimately close to being under construction, but AFAIK is still just clearing the site.
- Maple Terrace - yes, under U/C
- 2811 Maple - Lot cleared. Should see construction soon, but not so far. Let's keep an eye on it.
- The Quad - Yep, U/C
- Harwood No. 14 - U/C
- Parkside Uptown - Planned. Indeed. Announced 2 1/2 years ago and nothing has happened.
- McKinney & Boll - initially announced about 6 years ago. DMN told us then that construction would start in 2017. If I had a dollar for every time a construction timetable given us by Steve Brown was not achieved...
- Vivante at Turtle Creek - obviously not under construction. Have no idea as to its likelihood
- 2500 Cedar Springs - Ditto. Not under construction. Pretty speculative, it seems.
- Four Seasons Turtle Creek - construction not yet scheduled. We'll see.

So, your list of 13 projects includes 3 buildings actually currently under construction.

In fairness, here are a few you left off your list:

JW Marriott - 2000 Ross
Matthews Southwest Apt Bldg @ old Dallas High School: 15-story apartment building
Kairoi Residential Apt Bldg: 12-story apartment building at 2620 Maple Ave in Uptown.
Swexan Hotel: 19-story hotel in Harwood District.

So, together, we've come up with 7 buildings under construction:

The Quad - 12 stories
JW Marriott -
Apts @ Old Dallas High School - 15 stories
2620 Maple - 12 stories
LOL so you’re simply gonna repeat what I already said?! McKinney and Boll is a totally different project than the one 6 years ago. 2811 Maple is U/C..According to this it is. https://base.berkadia.com/wp-content...ine-Report.pdf

23Springs—If they’re demolishing buildings and already have a tenant and funding…there shouldn’t be a debate if it’s starting or not.

Parkside Uptown—there was a thing called the pandemic that put a pause on planned projects. KDC brought this project back to the forefront due to the high demand for office space in Uptown.

What projects have I listed with no funding or filings (not including the planned projects)?

Last edited by Dallaz; 06-27-2022 at 12:45 PM..

Old 06-27-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
LOL so you’re simply gonna repeat what I already said?! McKinney and Boll is a totally different project than the one 6 years ago. 2811 Maple is U/C..According to this it is. https://base.berkadia.com/wp-content...ine-Report.pdf

23Springs—If they’re demolishing buildings and already have a tenant and funding…there shouldn’t be a debate if it’s starting or not.

Parkside Uptown—there was a thing called the pandemic that put a pause on planned projects. KDC brought this project back to the forefront due to the high demand for office space in Uptown.

What projects have I listed with no funding or filings (not including the planned projects)?
LOL indeed. Yes, there are often reasons projects get delayed or never happen, and it happens all the time. Perhaps even more often than projects coming to full fruition. Sometimes, the plans were legitimately interred with by outside sources. Sometimes, the plans were never much more than dreams. That's why I would like to see a list of buildings under construction, not a list of buildings that, with a greater or lesser level of imagination, one can imagine starting "soon", whatever that may mean.

So far, you and I have come up with 7 buildings currently under construction UPDATE: it looks like the Matthews Southwest apartment building at old Dallas High School is open; so we now have 6 buildings under construction:

The Quad - 12 stories
JW Marriott -
2620 Maple - 12 stories

Old 06-27-2022, 01:22 PM

3,169 posts, read 2,058,967 times
Quote:
LOL indeed. Yes, there are often reasons projects get delayed or never happen, and it happens all the time. Perhaps even more often than projects coming to full fruition. Sometimes, the plans were legitimately interred with by outside sources. Sometimes, the plans were never much more than dreams. That's why I would like to see a list of buildings under construction, not a list of buildings that, with a greater or lesser level of imagination, one can imagine starting "soon", whatever that may mean.

So far, you and I have come up with 7 buildings currently under construction UPDATE: it looks like the Matthews Southwest apartment building at old Dallas High School is open; so we now have 6 buildings under construction:

The Quad - 12 stories
JW Marriott -
2620 Maple - 12 stories
Preach. Not sure what is so difficult about asking for a list of buildings actually under construction.

The puffery from the DMN and local real estate interests is so intense and misleading that I tend to ignore it, and - like you - really don't take many of those 'planned' developments seriously until shovels are in the ground.

Most of those projects either never get off the ground, take absolutely forever to get constructed, or are sold as one thing and scaled down significantly prior to construction. Been happening ever since I've been observing real estate in DFW.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
[/url]

I said building permits, not the much-more-amorphous "filings", so I'll go with building permits. These projects, as far as I can tell lack funding and/or building permits:

McKinney and Lemmon
McKinney and Boll
Four Seasons Turtle Creek

So of the 13 you posted:

3 are indeed under construction
7 lack funding and/or building permits (the 3 I list above and the 4 you allowed are only "planned")
3 that look to be preparing for construction (I have no idea as to the status of their building permits)

Old 06-27-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:

The Quad - 12 stories
JW Marriott -
2620 Maple - 12 stories
Initially you asked for what’s going up in Uptown and Turtle Creek. I gave you a rough list of projects and then you asked me for projects U/C. Again, I never said I knew every project that’s currently U/C. Now, we’re including projects in Downtown as well? I list the projects that have a high chance of actually happening. I know all about the real estate projects that never get off the ground, I’m from here. But none of those dead projects actually had real tenants. The ones that I listed actually do! That’s the major difference. I also added a few very recent projects that are still in the planning phase because again the initial conversation was never abt buildings U/C.

Last edited by Dallaz; 06-27-2022 at 02:45 PM..

Old 06-27-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Initially you asked for what’s going up in Uptown and Turtle Creek. I gave you a rough list of projects and then you asked me for projects U/C. Again, I never said I knew every project that’s currently U/C. Now, we’re including projects in Downtown as well? I list the projects that have a high chance of actually happening. I know all about the real estate projects that never get off the ground, I’m from here. But none of those dead projects actually had real tenants. The ones that I listed actually do! That’s the major difference. I also added a few very recent projects that are still in the planning phase because again the initial conversation was never abt buildings U/C.
under construction is what I meant by "going up". I thought that should have been pretty clear. Sorry for the confusion. In any event, even after I had made it abundantly clear I was hoping for a list of what was actually under construction, you obfuscated and continue to do so. For example, not all the projects in your list actually have tenants. You have again demonstrated why I am trying to get to a list of "actually under construction". You clearly think there are more projects that have a high chance of actually happening than I do (and I'd be happy to check back in a year or two to see how many of your list are actually happening).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas