Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 01:28 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,092,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by briskwheel View Post
What you need to incentivize public transit is the following:

1. Heavy traffic, meaning it takes 30mins to travel 2mi.
2. Cost. If you need to pay taxes and have to have parking passes and other stickers
3. Convenience. If the subway station is a 2min walk away but you had to park your car in a garage that's 15mins away

Most of America except for maybe NYC, Chicago, and DC don't have these issues so that's why people prefer to drive.

Go to London or Paris for a day and try to get around in taxis or Ubers and you'll quickly realize why most people prefer public transit.

Me personally, I prefer driving because I've had to deal with far too many sketchy people on public transit. But then again, drivers are terrible and put my life at risk on a regular basis, so I'm not sure what's worse.
I've said this before but I like to repeat myself. Transit is successful, defined as having high ridership, in parts of the US because of the failures of road infrastructure, not actual merit of the public transit. Don't get me wrong, I love public transit and has said many times before that I easily got around solely on DART for five or so years last decade. And that was in the suburbs. But, as soon as I got my own car, I never went back because transit is almost never competitive. If New York City's congestion and parking situation was identical to that of DFW or even just Dallas, then ridership of transit would be much lower.

I would love it if Texas' cities had the transit systems of Seoul or Tokyo, but that is only in a world where cost is not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 03:34 PM

34 posts, read 25,794 times
Does not upset me at all. I worked with quiet a number of ignoramuses. No harm done.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:32 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
Quote:
You're right that public transit won't work in Texas or in most of the US. It's because most places were built after cars were invented and weren't built with public transit, biking, or pedestrians walking in mind.

But anything can change and anything is possible.

$6/gal gas might encourage people to write to our elected officials and bring up public transit.
Where is this money for expanded public transportation going to come from? Seems like the lower and middle class will just get shafted even more.

Old 06-06-2022, 05:04 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,351,842 times
Quote:
It would be nice to have some sort of public transportation now that gas prices are almost $5/gal.
Buy a Tesla

Old 06-07-2022, 02:00 PM

100 posts, read 61,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Where is this money for expanded public transportation going to come from? Seems like the lower and middle class will just get shafted even more.
Probably from the same place the money for the roads comes from. A big chunk comes from the federal government. Lower class people don't pay many taxes anyways and could benefit the most from better public transportation.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Probably from the same place the money for the roads comes from. A big chunk comes from the federal government. Lower class people don't pay many taxes anyways and could benefit the most from better public transportation.
Everyone's expenses will go up to fund this. Everyone's. Biden is already wanting more in tax revenue. Texas is a huge state, and the cities are far apart and also have tons of suburban areas. Think about it.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:54 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
Lower class people pay all the same taxes the other classes do aside from income taxes... And some of them do still pay those.

Old 06-08-2022, 06:38 AM

8,354 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Everyone's expenses will go up to fund this. Everyone's. Biden is already wanting more in tax revenue. Texas is a huge state, and the cities are far apart and also have tons of suburban areas. Think about it.
Well, we kind of need more tax revenue because we can't stop spending. Its not just the Dems. Republicans LOVE them some big government and love spending. Its just on different stuff. Unpopular as it may seem, we need to either raise taxes on those who make more than $250K a year and corporate taxes or we need to cut spending drastically. The problem with the later is that our level of infrastructure and services we provide to the citizens is already quite subpar.

Id personally rather spend money for health care for the poor than an extra aircraft carrier or more corporate welfare, but that's just me. Some prefer the other way around.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:09 AM

100 posts, read 61,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Lower class people pay all the same taxes the other classes do aside from income taxes... And some of them do still pay those.
It's even worse for lower income people. Sales tax on items don't really affect middle class or upper class people too much but when you are on a budget, every penny counts.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:11 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirotek View Post
I realize that this will probably upset some people, but oh well. I have lived in several states and all of them have pros and cons but Texas is a perfect example of a state that displays everything that's wrong with America.

The best part of Texas is that there are dozens of highways leading out of it for you to take. Buh bye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas