Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 AM

283 posts, read 1,282,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
somehow I feel that if a huge number of people, far more than even the last few years, moved down like displaced Okies, Austin and Houston would not be thrilled about it.....and it will happen..
Same thing happened in the early 80's in Houston (and probably the rest of Texas) and those thousands of Midwesteners (Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, all over that area) were just another bunch of cars on the freeways. The only reason they were noticed was because of the car plates and nobody really cared as most Houstonians are themselves from some other place. So, we won't shoot (birds or bullets) at you unless you cut us off or drive too slow.

Try asking that question at the Houston forum, address it to the former residents of Michigan now living in Houston and see what sort of reply you get. There have got to be a bunch in the Houston area now so ask them how they were received back then.

When you come down, bring me some pasty. (NOT pasta, PASTY).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:53 AM

430 posts, read 1,359,444 times
Back in the early 80s a lot of MI folks moved to Texas. What else is new.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:19 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,288,113 times
We don't need any more midwesterners here. I've had my fill of them. The people who have hurt me the most and stabbed me in the back were so-called "midwesterners". Sometimes I don't feel like I'm in Texas hearing all their accents!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:55 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,280,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I too am a little skeptical that 3 million Michigan residents will move to Texas. But if they do, welcome to Texas ya'll, and you don't all have to move to the big cities either. Out here in West Texas around Midland/Odessa we desperately need more workers.
Your post is proof of what I've heard; west Texans are much friendlier than most Texans. Posts from other Texans not living in the "west" prove it too.

Bring on the midwesterners; send the Katrina people home or somewhere else. (I guess that wasn't very friendly).

Old 06-25-2008, 03:07 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,549,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I too am a little skeptical that 3 million Michigan residents will move to Texas. But if they do, welcome to Texas ya'll, and you don't all have to move to the big cities either. Out here in West Texas around Midland/Odessa we desperately need more workers.
Good Attitude!

Got to give praise, where there is cause to give it.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:23 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Good Attitude!

Got to give praise, where there is cause to give it.
Yes, send the ones who want to come and work. Big Spring just announced that two industries will shut down leaving 300 workers unemployed. The chamber of commerce and mayor say this is good news to other employers in the area who cannot find enough employees. One of our manufacturers in Abilene laid off 49 people recently, and other companies were there hiring them on the spot. We don't have enough workers for the jobs we have open. Midland and Odessa are in the same boat.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:36 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,391 times
I wouldn't base your assumptions on what some people on the Michigan CD forum posts, that's for sure. I moved to Michigan from Dallas last year. We are born and raised Texans, but got transferred with my husband's job. So yes, we are some of the lucky ones.

Thing is, the Michigan CD forum is FILLED with trolls who come on and only post one flaming post, then they get banned. It is filled with some of the most negative people I've ever heard. But I don't think it's reality, since everyone I know in real life here, is happy. Most of my Michigan friends are born and raised here, and they have no desire to move anywhere else.

I actually notice more people in MI moving to North Carolina and Florida, than anywhere else. If they want to move to Texas, then great...they just better leave room for us when we come back in a few years!!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I remember teh 80's whne alot of peole moved from the notheast. Seems most were from new york then in my recollection. Most wre young tho and really not I know one in particluar who moved down and then a year later his brother. later his father and mother moved when they retired.I expect we will see alot of movement as the global economy changes the markets.The south went thru this decades ago when it was mostly an agricultural economy.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:18 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,631,313 times
Texas has survived the Mexican Invasion, it will survive a Michigan Invasion......at least they're legal!

Old 06-28-2008, 05:53 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Default We're Ready

Yes, I am ready for them. Bring 'em on! We've got seats ready just for you here in the great state of Texas. Come on down here, y'all. We'll feed you with some of the best food possible. We've got great cities waiting for your arrival, along with great weather. Hey, there's a Detroit here in Texas, too! Only thing is, it's smaller and it's in Northeast Texas and they don't build cars there.

But we are ready for you to be here with us. Welcome.....and howdy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas