Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:50 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,114,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
Where did this list come from? You have a source?

Anyway, found these:

Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com (Houston only city in Texas in the top 5)

Best Cities For Jobs In 2008 - Forbes.com

Best Cities For Recent College Grads - Forbes.com (Houston, DFW, and Austin top the list; SA not on there unfortunately)

San Antonio makes those lists as well. Maybe not that one, but there is always a list every other week.

This is a top list for most job searches, so it's more fact than a opinion made by a Forbes columinst.

look at very bottom.
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/;_ylt=An8ce3EyohlbtDCulkLyfmt3SKIX (broken link)

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 07-26-2008 at 12:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Well, I'm a michigander, and can tell you that a lot of people aren't leaving because they want to, but because they they have to. And it's very common for people to announce their intention to stay put and ride it out.

I'm one of those people. I've lived here my whole life, went to college for teaching, and graduated a year and a half ago.I subbed for a year, and went back to school this summer to get certified in english. I taught myself spanish and track coaching. And still I've had not a single interview in that entire time.Last week, after being turned down for the umteenth time, I decided that if I don't get a job this fall, I'll leave.

I don't want to go. Michigan is my home. My family and friends are here. The great lakes and cool forests are beyond description. And don't get me started on fall and winter...simply gorgeous. Winter has its own quiet beauty...But I'm 27. I'll be 28 in April, and I have to get my life started. I want to teach. I want to pay off my student loans. I want to get married and begin a family. And I can't do that spinning my wheels up here.

And then I hear about Texas, as if it's "The Promised Land" where jobs can be found, and a future can be made. That's probably exaggerated somewhat, but from what I've heard, Texas is still a world different from Michigan. I think I now have some idea how an immigrant feels. Not an illegal, poor immigrant, but someone who has to uproot himself and make his way in a different place. I'm looking at Texas.

Michigan's economy isn't horrible, but for a generation of young people, there isn't much of a future right now. It's very sad. Maybe, God willing, I could return. But then, maybe not.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:33 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Well, I'm a michigander, and can tell you that a lot of people aren't leaving because they want to, but because they they have to. And it's very common for people to announce their intention to stay put and ride it out.

I'm one of those people. I've lived here my whole life, went to college for teaching, and graduated a year and a half ago.I subbed for a year, and went back to school this summer to get certified in english. I taught myself spanish and track coaching. And still I've had not a single interview in that entire time.Last week, after being turned down for the umteenth time, I decided that if I don't get a job this fall, I'll leave.

I don't want to go. Michigan is my home. My family and friends are here. The great lakes and cool forests are beyond description. And don't get me started on fall and winter...simply gorgeous. Winter has its own quiet beauty...But I'm 27. I'll be 28 in April, and I have to get my life started. I want to teach. I want to pay off my student loans. I want to get married and begin a family. And I can't do that spinning my wheels up here.

And then I hear about Texas, as if it's "The Promised Land" where jobs can be found, and a future can be made. That's probably exaggerated somewhat, but from what I've heard, Texas is still a world different from Michigan. I think I now have some idea how an immigrant feels. Not an illegal, poor immigrant, but someone who has to uproot himself and make his way in a different place. I'm looking at Texas.

Michigan's economy isn't horrible, but for a generation of young people, there isn't much of a future right now. It's very sad. Maybe, God willing, I could return. But then, maybe not.
You have a bright future! Well said.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:48 PM

663 posts, read 2,264,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

I wish you all the best. What a beautiful and heartfelt post. So true.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:40 PM

181 posts, read 632,004 times
I understand what you are saying. We are are from Michigan and we never wanted to leave. It was our home and all our famiily and friends are still there. Like many we lost our home and my husband got a job in Virgina and we are living in North Carolina. I feel like I'm in a strange land and nothing seems the same. Many people from Michigan had to leave. When we moved and I crossed the line from Michigan to Ohio I cried.Many people from Michigan moved to the Carolinas and Wyoming I heard. I hope that things get better in Michigan it is a great state and to all the states who welcome Michigan people .. thank you. I remember many years ago people came to Michigan for work. In Michigan the saying is the last one in Michigan turn the lights out.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,235,303 times
I remember the rust belt migration of the eighties. At that time I thought that the Michiganders adapted to living in Texas more readily than those from any other region. They were welcomed then, you'll be welcomed today.

Texas continues to expand its cities and its markets. The migration continues from all points. Welcome home.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying. We are are from Michigan and we never wanted to leave. It was our home and all our famiily and friends are still there. Like many we lost our home and my husband got a job in Virgina and we are living in North Carolina. I feel like I'm in a strange land and nothing seems the same. Many people from Michigan had to leave. When we moved and I crossed the line from Michigan to Ohio I cried.Many people from Michigan moved to the Carolinas and Wyoming I heard. I hope that things get better in Michigan it is a great state and to all the states who welcome Michigan people .. thank you. I remember many years ago people came to Michigan for work. In Michigan the saying is the last one in Michigan turn the lights out.
I am so sorry to hear about your story. Things will get better in MI someday (they can't get much worse!), and hopefully you'll get to return. I hope I do too.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,618,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
If they're looking for automotive jobs in Texas, then think again as GM is cutting back production at its Suburban plant near Fort Worth. Even Toyota (in San Antonio) is cutting back production, AND they're not union.

Yea and no damn unions also!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:37 AM

46 posts, read 269,712 times
My husband and I will be relocating to Houston in about two weeks. My husband is a native Michigander. I know a lot of people love Michigan but moving here from another state seven years ago I saw the writing on the wall fast. Moving to Michigan was the worst move financially I have ever made. Now we are going to have to go to drastic measures to get rid of our house in order to move-but we don't care. And that's a shame-we just want to leave. I never thought I would see the day where my husband wishes he could jump into the car tomorrow and just drive away from his hometown.

I really feel sorry for all the people who have lost their well paying jobs here. But that way of life is no longer possible and I don't know what they are going to do. My mother in law, now retired, was making over $80,000 a year working in sanitation at GM-sorry but that was a ridiculous salary for just housekeeping. But things like that are part of what drove these companies into the ground. I keep hearing people say give it four or five years-no.....more like ten. I expect we will be running into a lot of Michiganders in TX.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,791,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I definitely will welcome Michigan workers to Texas. People mention surviving the Mexican invasion and we'll survive this too. What about the Katrina invasion? I'm not sure we'll ever recover from that.
Why would an "invasion" from Detroit be any different than one from New Orleans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas