Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 PM

54 posts, read 65,247 times

Advertisements

Honest replies only.....how do local Houstonites(and Austinites for that matter) feel about the huge exodus of job seekers from Michigan and the rust belt coming in the next two years? After that #1 ranking, and Austin's #6, they are the buzz of the Michigan exodus board......somehow I feel that if a huge number of people, far more than even the last few years, moved down like displaced Okies, Austin and Houston would not be thrilled about it.....and it will happen..

Read the BW story, and prepare for another huge bunch of folks....keep in mind that 10,000,000 people live in Michigan........hey, Texas has got jobs for everyone, and welcomes all with open arms, right?

Michigan: Epicenter of Unemployment (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jun2008/db20080623_156900.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index _recession+in+america - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:13 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,672,947 times
If they're looking for automotive jobs in Texas, then think again as GM is cutting back production at its Suburban plant near Fort Worth. Even Toyota (in San Antonio) is cutting back production, AND they're not union.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
OK, I read the article and nowhere did it say that millions of people were planning to come to Texas. Rather, those quoted said that their families are in Michigan and that's where they want to stay.

So, what's the point?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
OK, I read the article and nowhere did it say that millions of people were planning to come to Texas. Rather, those quoted said that their families are in Michigan and that's where they want to stay.

So, what's the point?
Have you looked at city-data's Michigan post?
I could be wrong, but it sure seems like many want to get the hell out of the state.......where they will move to is anyone's guess, but, seeing that
Texas is in the national press 24/7 per its economy, and got a ton of midwesterners displaced from the steel mills in the 80's, its a fair hunch that a large number will end up in Texas.....

My point, if I must elucidate, is, is Texas really prepared to continue to absorb an onslaught of newcomers, possibly a lot more than in the past soon, as the rest of the nation suffers?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
The answer is yes. As Ellis Island once beaconed to the world, so Texas does the rest of the nation (and the world, for that matter) -- "Send us your poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."

Really, we're in a position to do so. More so than any other state. We've got our own energy grid, robust economy, friendly people, tons of land to expand, low government interference, the list goes on and on. I say bring 'em.

Heck, we absorbed hundreds of thousands from Katrina in a mere few days, without batting an eye... 3M+ from the rust belt is no problem.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:00 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwise5 View Post
Have you looked at city-data's Michigan post?
I could be wrong, but it sure seems like many want to get the hell out of the state.......where they will move to is anyone's guess, but, seeing that
Texas is in the national press 24/7 per its economy, and got a ton of midwesterners displaced from the steel mills in the 80's, its a fair hunch that a large number will end up in Texas.....

My point, if I must elucidate, is, is Texas really prepared to continue to absorb an onslaught of newcomers, possibly a lot more than in the past soon, as the rest of the nation suffers?
No, you said to read the Business Week story and prepare for 3 million people to move here. Nothing in the BW story came remotely close to any of your assertions and I highly doubt that there's evidence in the CD Michigan forum to support your predictions of millions moving from Michigan to Texas.

To me, the question isn't whether Texas is "prepared" to absorb millions more people, it's why you're claiming these things?

Incidentally, I was born and raised in the Rust Belt and I'm one of the minority who headed south after graduating from college. All of my family and friends stayed and continue to do the best they can. Most have retrained for other careers and live simply -- that's home and they don't want to move.

In short, what I've seen to be true was echoed by the comments from the folks in the Business Week article. Just about all of my family and friends have talked about moving when times got especially tough but none of them actually did it. Hell's bells, I can't even get them to cross the Mason-Dixon line to come for a visit!

If folks want to come down here and work, more power to them! It just seems to me that you've created a sensationalist post for whatever reason, and with no real facts to back up your assertions.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
No, you said to read the Business Week story and prepare for 3 million people to move here. Nothing in the BW story came remotely close to any of your assertions and I highly doubt that there's evidence in the CD Michigan forum to support your predictions of millions moving from Michigan to Texas.

To me, the question isn't whether Texas is "prepared" to absorb millions more people, it's why you're claiming these things?

Incidentally, I was born and raised in the Rust Belt and I'm one of the minority who headed south after graduating from college. All of my family and friends stayed and continue to do the best they can. Most have retrained for other careers and live simply -- that's home and they don't want to move.

In short, what I've seen to be true was echoed by the comments from the folks in the Business Week article. Just about all of my family and friends have talked about moving when times got especially tough but none of them actually did it. Hell's bells, I can't even get them to cross the Mason-Dixon line to come for a visit!

If folks want to come down here and work, more power to them! It just seems to me that you've created a sensationalist post for whatever reason, and with no real facts to back up your assertions.
Well, it sure seems to have attracted your attention.....maybe if you view it as alarmist you may want to simply ignore this post.....
I still think a ton of them will move out THIS time...if you've read the article, the mich economy is the worst since the great depression........this time
those folks who CAN bail probably will, and I truly pray for the poor folks who can't.....I grew up in an area like that on the south side of chicago, and Im not being mean or calling anyone names here.....just think that many mich folks will decide to leave the state permanently very soon...just to survive, if nothing else....

You might want to check out this thread.....doesn't sound like the folks in this thread are staying put....again, if there is nothing for them there, a move WOULD be a good thing.....

//www.city-data.com/forum/michi...-move-out.html

Will the last person that leaves Michigan please turn out the lights?

BTW, read this thread.......it speaks for thousands in the same situation, and ANY sunbelt state would be an improvement for them, let alone Texas..

"I know people get on here and bash MI and it upsets others but the simple truth is that a lot of people are unable to maintain even the basics for survival. If your doing well with a job in medical, teaching, etc and able to maintain and have a decent lifestyle, that is great because MI isnt a horrible place to live. Im learning that more and more on my research of different areas in the country. We do have some pretty nice things here. Ask someone in Phoenix about their water quality or car plate costs. Or someone down south that deals with busing. Also, Im not into bugs that can kill me or alligators. I cant think of too much that will kill ya in your backyard.

I would like to stay here, I have family and good friends. But I simply dont think I will be able to maintain the basics like shelter, food etc. I know this is a big problem when DTE calls me wanting to work out any payment plans when 2 yrs ago they didnt give a hoot what my situation is. Im also behind on my car payment, the bank looked up my location and said "ahhhhh, your in Michigan." The guy told he has a stack of files on desk for late payments and they are all residents of MI. People that were always on time with their payments but in the past yr everyone seems to be falling into a default.

I dont know what will happen in the next few yrs but I dont think we have seen the worst of it yet."

Last edited by clockwise5; 06-25-2008 at 12:28 AM..

Old 06-25-2008, 05:13 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,054,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwise5 View Post
Honest replies only.....how do local Houstonites(and Austinites for that matter) feel about the huge exodus of job seekers from Michigan and the rust belt coming in the next two years? After that #1 ranking, and Austin's #6, they are the buzz of the Michigan exodus board......somehow I feel that if a huge number of people, far more than even the last few years, moved down like displaced Okies, Austin and Houston would not be thrilled about it.....and it will happen..

Read the BW story, and prepare for another huge bunch of folks....keep in mind that 10,000,000 people live in Michigan........hey, Texas has got jobs for everyone, and welcomes all with open arms, right?

Michigan: Epicenter of Unemployment (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jun2008/db20080623_156900.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index _recession+in+america - broken link)
I really think San Antonio, Houston and DFW will get the bulk of the Michigan jobseekers based on the type of industries they have there

Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 AM

636 posts, read 1,917,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The answer is yes. As Ellis Island once beaconed to the world, so Texas does the rest of the nation (and the world, for that matter) -- "Send us your poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."

Really, we're in a position to do so. More so than any other state. We've got our own energy grid, robust economy, friendly people, tons of land to expand, low government interference, the list goes on and on. I say bring 'em.

Heck, we absorbed hundreds of thousands from Katrina in a mere few days, without batting an eye... 3M+ from the rust belt is no problem.
While I agree that the original post was alarmist, ridiculous, and not based on facts in any way, this one borders on lunacy. It is faulty logic to state that if hundreds of thousands (with government assistance mind you) were absorbed, then MILLIONS would be no problem. Without batting an eye? What a joke! There were myriad problems with Katrina refugees, and they continue today.

Texas should NOT be perceived as the modern day Ellis Island; things change. What was appropriate for the 19th century doesn't necessarilly apply to today. Moving a problem in one part of the country to another doesn't solve the problem.

Talk is cheap; it sounds real good to wax on about welcoming those poor huddled masses with open arms, until you have to foot the bill for them.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:09 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,434 times
I too am a little skeptical that 3 million Michigan residents will move to Texas. But if they do, welcome to Texas ya'll, and you don't all have to move to the big cities either. Out here in West Texas around Midland/Odessa we desperately need more workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas