Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokandyman View Post
Yup... Hey, you said it. Not me. This has nothing to do with every other large city. Dallas is the hot topic of dicussion right now. Not naive, just telling it the way it is.
Don't put words in my mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokandyman View Post
True.. Anyone can do it. But the difference is that Dallas is "thee" standard, and no one can do it like we do it. Excellence personified.... Ya'll like that, huh?
Being tacky is easy. Usually people try to avoid it.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:30 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
LOL @ the bolded sentence. Considering, now that Dallas has an arch too. So so much for being one of a kind! Monkey see monkey do

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
No Dallas has a "Bridge" that just so happens to have an arch in its design....And on top of that the arches are not the least bit similar...at all. So no monkey see monkey do here...it would be equally silly if I said Houston copied St. Louis First with the Chrome Arches in Uptown Houston...and even those are more similar than the "Bridge" in Dallas. The focus in Dallas is on the BRIDGE that cars drive on and interact with, not the arch...In st.Lou the entire focus is on a CHROME arch that u can go inside of.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:45 PM

60 posts, read 133,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Don't put words in my mouth.

Being tacky is easy. Usually people try to avoid it.
Awwww.. I'm sure you all are dreaming about those Dallas lights at night. It's ok... You can tell us lol

Old 08-07-2012, 09:49 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Default Which city has more highrises under construction?

Does anybody know which city out of Houston and Dallas has more Highrises under construction? even if it means that the ground was just broken today?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 PM

686 posts, read 1,168,073 times
I've never seen such a delusional group of people like many Dallasites. Let you all tell it, Dallas is the best thing since sliced bread. It's like you all have no sense of standing about Dallas' stature on the National and Global stage. Meanwhile, everyone I know from other places such as DC, NY, Hou, LA etc who have visited or lived, or currently live there just sit back and laugh.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 PM

60 posts, read 133,480 times
Whaaaaaaaaa lol. That's funny you mention that. The reason being is that everyone I know from here, there, and everywhere sees you all the same way (shrugs). I reckon we're all just tit for tat at the end of the day. Still doesn't change the fact that Dallas has the best skyline though.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
No Dallas has a "Bridge" that just so happens to have an arch in its design....And on top of that the arches are not the least bit similar...at all. So no monkey see monkey do here...it would be equally silly if I said Houston copied St. Louis First with the Chrome Arches in Uptown Houston...and even those are more similar than the "Bridge" in Dallas. The focus in Dallas is on the BRIDGE that cars drive on and interact with, not the arch...In st.Lou the entire focus is on a CHROME arch that u can go inside of.
No that would not be equally silly, it would be just plain ignorant if you were to compare chrome arches at street level that don't even raise high enough to peek at the Uptown skyline to a tall iconic arch that raises to the skyline that they actually took time to light up. The fact that it sits on a bridge means nothing. It does not take away from the similarity to the arch in St. Louis's skyline.

In the end of the day, when I see photos of downtown Dallas, I see an arch relatively close to its downtown skyline which instantly reminds me of the arch in St. Louis's skyline. End of story.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:33 AM

392 posts, read 633,867 times
Quote:
No that would not be equally silly, it would be just plain ignorant if you were to compare chrome arches at street level that don't even raise high enough to peek at the Uptown skyline to a tall iconic arch that raises to the skyline that they actually took time to light up. The fact that it sits on a bridge means nothing. It does not take away from the similarity to the arch in St. Louis's skyline.

In the end of the day, when I see photos of downtown Dallas, I see an arch relatively close to its downtown skyline which instantly reminds me of the arch in St. Louis's skyline. End of story.

You see a similarity? That's like comparing the St Louis arch to the McDonald's arches. Do you want fries with that?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 AM

563 posts, read 910,480 times
Quote:

It's so true it's funny. The arch was meant to appear in the Dallas skyline exactly like the arch in SL. There is absolutely no reason that specific "bridge" needs an arc because it is so tiny and only like 10 feet of the ground. That's like us throwing an arc on one of the many overpasses in Houston or slapping one on the Pierce Elevated. The whole reason was to light it up and display something new in the Dallas skyline and you guys would be insane to say you don't see the similarity or significance between the two. You can google both at the same time and read people from SL talk mess about it and everyone else compare them.

All over the internet is states the intention of this bridge.

"It'll be nice to have something new in the skyline besides Reunion Tower," said Amanda Pounds, 36. "It already looks iconic from Oak Cliff, and it's not even finished yet."
Dallas' Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge has its arch topped off | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

"On Saturday, June 26, 2010, the signature, 40-story center-support-arch was topped-off with a central curved span, providing an additional feature to the Dallas skyline, as it can now be seen from many miles away from several directions."
Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They even put it in the opening credits in the new Dallas tv show. But what had me ROFL was this comment that echos through the metro area (from the first link)...

"It's a historic event for the people committed to this project and for the city," Hutchison said. "It's something that will make the skyline uniquely Dallas."

Does anyone notice a resemblance between Margaret Hunt and a bridge the same designer had already built in Reggio Emilia, Italy?

Image Detail for - Modern Calatrava Bridge In Reggio Emilia Italy Royalty Free Stock ...

Calatrava Bridge in Dallas looks like a knockoff | www.pegasusnews.com | Dallas/Fort Worth

I hate to be mean about this but sometimes I think that is the only way to get through.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM

725 posts, read 1,241,083 times
I'm sorry if this comes across as crass, but I can't even see why this is a debate.

One drive across the Ship Channel Bridge on a clear day will put this entire topic to rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas