Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 07:37 PM

60 posts, read 133,450 times

Advertisements

Ok...there is seriously some delusion going on now... I was just in Detroit a few weeks ago...and no no no... It's decent, but it does not go in the top 10. Sorry. And Houston should be somewhere around the #10 spot. Try this order here...

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Seattle
5. Honolulu
6. Miami
7. Pittsburg
8. Philadelphia
9. Dallas
10. Atlanta

Honorable mention: Los Angeles, Boston, and Houston.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM

392 posts, read 633,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

Top US skylines
1. NY
2. Chicago
3. Houston
4. Honolulu
5. SF
6. Miami
7. Pittsburgh
8. Detroit
9. Seattle
10...... dunno maybe ATL
Moderator cut: orphaned

Interesting that you consider Houston superior to Honolulu and San Francisco, though. That's even worse than equating them to Houston.

Somehow, the idea of millions of tourists flying to Houston to surf in Buffalo Bayou is a stretch for me. Should I take a closer look at the Houston skyline photo?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-09-2012 at 07:13 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Oh yeah, I forgot Philly.

New Top ten:

1. NY
2. Chicago
3. Houston
4. Honolulu
5. SF
6. Miami
7. Pittsburgh
8. Detroit
9. Seattle
10. Philadelphia

Atlanta would come close to ten though

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
S
Somehow, the idea of millions of tourists flying to Houston to surf in Buffalo Bayou is a stretch for me.
you surf skylines??? How odd

Old 08-08-2012, 07:55 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,448,551 times
Quote:
i did not equate anything to anything.

Top US skylines
1. NY
2. Chicago
3. Houston
4. Honolulu
5. SF
6. Miami
7. Pittsburgh
8. Detroit
9. Seattle
10...... dunno maybe ATL
This discussion is about attractive skylines not size.(hence the only way Houston would be 3rd).In Fact Houstn would be close to the bottom in attractiveness. Detroit will never have a better looking skyline than Dallas....Pittsburg either.
My list:
1.NY
2.Chicago
3.Seattle
4.Dallas
5.Atlanta
6.Miami
7.Charlotte
8.LA
9.Austin

Space

10.Houston

Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 PM

392 posts, read 633,628 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot Philly.

New Top ten:

1. NY
2. Chicago
3. Houston
4. Honolulu
5. SF
6. Miami
7. Pittsburgh
8. Detroit
9. Seattle
10. Philadelphia

Atlanta would come close to ten though
No, I want to see a Houston skyline shot that would show tall buildings, beaches, mountains, boats, surfers, the whole 9 yards.

Or a shot of Houston showing a huge orange suspension bridge across a bay, with a nice little fog bank billowing around it.

How about a shot of Houston with an unbroken wall of high rises on a waterfront, a snow capped volcanic cone behind it, and a space needle?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 PM

563 posts, read 910,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This discussion is about attractive skylines not size.(hence the only way Houston would be 3rd).In Fact Houstn would be close to the bottom in attractiveness. Detroit will never have a better looking skyline than Dallas....Pittsburg either.
My list:
1.NY
2.Chicago
3.Seattle
4.Dallas
5.Atlanta
6.Miami
7.Charlotte
8.LA
9.Austin

Space

10.Houston
To A LOT of people the size of a skyline is what makes it attractive or is definitely a part of it. Of course none of you would agree because Dallas is not very tall. I would have the same argument if I were you guys.

In other news... Usain Bolt is one fast mutha...

Old 08-08-2012, 08:10 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,575 times
Default This guy hits it right on the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston1197 View Post
Typical. Overall rate is 22.3% and Class A is 17.8%. This residential conversion claim is funny because you guys have had this high vacancy problem since before 2005. Dallas has always had that "keeping up with the Jones'" mentality and it proves when you build buildings with no one to fill them. Carry on.

Dallas CBD office vacancy nears 30% - Dallas Business Journal

Market Trend: Dallas/Ft. Worth's Office Vacancy Decreases Slightly to 16.1% in Q2 2012 - CoStar Group
Dallas has a bunch of empty buildings downtown. Those glassy skyscrapers have several floors that are empty. This is why Houston is going to continue to grow office space at a faster pace than Dallas. I mean who in their right mind would build more speculative office space in a place that is 30% VACANT?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 PM

60 posts, read 133,450 times
First of all, this article referenced is 3 years old... And vacancy rates topped out in CBD during that time of the recession, amid several new construction completions for downtown areas for Dallas. This was not just in Dallas. Since then, construction has slowed but not stopped, and the economy has started to slowly recover. As of right now, the overall downtown vacancy rate is 26.4%, and class A vacancy (which means newest/best location of office space) is 24.6%. I know for a fact that 2 older office buildings there are currently in a conversion phase from being vacant to 1) a hotel and 2) residential mixed high-end and middle grade apartments. Dallas downtown/uptown is being reshaped into a place to live/visit and not just work, considering the fact that Dallas has to compete with Fort Worth and very large suburbs for office tenants. As the residential continues to fill overtime, the tenants will come back in droves... And you'll see even more skyscrapers going up.....then wonder why Houston's skyline looks virtually the same as it did 10 years before. Just wait and see.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 PM

563 posts, read 910,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokandyman View Post
First of all, this article referenced is 3 years old... And vacancy rates topped out in CBD during that time of the recession, amid several new construction completions for downtown areas for Dallas. This was not just in Dallas. Since then, construction has slowed but not stopped, and the economy has started to slowly recover. As of right now, the overall downtown vacancy rate is 26.4%, and class A vacancy (which means newest/best location of office space) is 24.6%. I know for a fact that 2 older office buildings there are currently in a conversion phase from being vacant to 1) a hotel and 2) residential mixed high-end and middle grade apartments. Dallas downtown/uptown is being reshaped into a place to live/visit and not just work, considering the fact that Dallas has to compete with Fort Worth and very large suburbs for office tenants. As the residential continues to fill overtime, the tenants will come back in droves... And you'll see even more skyscrapers going up.....then wonder why Houston's skyline looks virtually the same as it did 10 years before. Just wait and see.
I think the point of Houston1197 first article was not the numbers but to show that high vacancy rates were even a problem before 2005 and are still a problem today. You guys still argue the residential conversions are making a large impact but the numbers are still the worst out of both cities. Remember, the recession mainly hit outside of Texas while the state remained the most prosperous throughout. This is not an argument you can use for your poor numbers.

Houston's Q2 overall vacancy was 14.5% and in the CBD was 14.3%. Class A for the CBD was 10.9% and suburban was 12.3%. Remind me again who is going to be throwing up buildings long into the future when any new building requires at least 50% of it to be leased before even breaking ground? Houston doesn't have to wait for anything because it is happening now.

Rents have increased tenfold down here and the demand for residential high rises is booming. We are not converting old buildings to residential because they are filled office space. We are constructing tons of new buildings from downtown to Uptown. For an example in 2010 I was pricing the One Park Place high rise in downtown and the cheapest apartment was around $1,300. I checked a few days ago and it is $2,500+. This is happening all up inside the loop with the biggest gentrification to start going down in EaDo.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
To A LOT of people the size of a skyline is what makes it attractive
I agree. Manhattan is 99% unattractive buildings but it is the best skyline in the US just because of the mere massiveness. Dallasboi's list made me chuckle. LOL. clearly an untraveled list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas