Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah it really did affect East Waco. My mom is a Paul Quinn Alumni and she remembers the school did wonders for Waco. Attracting blacks from all over the country. She got to travel to LA, OK, CA, and FL with friends from school.

We even almost lost Baylor to Dallas.
Paul Quinn made the right choice moving to Dallas. Only problem is Paul Quinn is a private school. It doesn't get funding from the state like PV and TSU. Why did Texas decide to put two states black state institution in southeast Texas is questionable? There are no public HBCU in North central Texas or east Texas. It’s safe to say that the majority of black students in DFW attend public institution instead of HBCU's. I think UNT enroll like 15% African American UTA was like around 12 %. Etc.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:05 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Paul Quinn made the right choice moving to Dallas. Only problem is Paul Quinn is a private school. It doesn't get funding from the state like PV and TSU. Why did Texas decide to put two states black state institution in southeast Texas is questionable? There are no public HBCU in North central Texas or east Texas. It’s safe to say that the majority of black students in DFW attend public institution instead of HBCU's. I think UNT enroll like 15% African American UTA was like around 12 %. Etc.
Why did the state decide to do that? Do you not know the history of PV and TSU? Plus, there are more Blacks in this part of the state than anywhere else. Most of DFW's students that attend HBCU's come to Southeast Texas. Especially for PV, where the students from Houston and Dallas are pretty much split in half.

And obviously Paul Quinn didn't make the right choice if they are struggling now after moving to Dallas (when they were doing fine in Waco).

Old 04-26-2010, 02:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
How did they make the right choice when they've been struggling ever since day 1 of their move to Dallas??? Dallas is a very competitive city with tons of other colleges and universities; Paul Quinn has too much competition up there. In Waco, all you had was Baylor, MCC, and TSTC.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:17 PM

346 posts, read 739,246 times
Ok as a student at TSU and an african american, I would mos definately say HOUSTON, live in pearland, around many affluent blacks if you know what i mean, check out frenchys on scott street between U of H AND TSU and visit jus oxtails soul food on reed road and you'l get your fix for black culture, lol. It is off the south side of scott street. As for the rest of the city check out herman park, take you kids to the musuem district and the zoo, Ill recomend the musuem of natural science. And ride fannin to downtown, and memorial drive to uptown. Jus come and C the city. also check out space center houston, your kids will love the rocket ships and space crafts im sure, and the kemah boardwalk. Im pretty sure this tour will convince you that houston is the texas city for what your asking.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 17,006 times
Texas has a very long and strong black history and culture and presence. One of the best economies in the United States as well. The answer to your question...OF COURSE it is a good place for American Blacks.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:33 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,542 times
The best cities for blacks in Texas are Dallas and Houston, in no particular order, with Austin lagging pretty far behind. This isn't even debatable. The history and culture there is lacking. There will be exceptions, but the vast majority of black people in Texas would tell you this, and so will the black press, like Black Enterprise, which does a "best cities" list every year. Austin has never appeared on it or any similar lists.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
The best cities for blacks in Texas are Dallas and Houston, in no particular order, with Austin lagging pretty far behind. This isn't even debatable. The history and culture there is lacking. There will be exceptions, but the vast majority of black people in Texas would tell you this.
Yep. Blacks tend to prefer areas like Tyler, Waco, and the Killeen area over Austin.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:45 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yep. Blacks tend to prefer areas like Tyler, Waco, and the Killeen area over Austin.
Unfortunately, this is true. Here in Austin there just isn't that big a black presence. Though, I will say it has gotten better.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:09 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Unfortunately, this is true. Here in Austin there just isn't that big a black presence. Though, I will say it has gotten better.
And will continue to do so. Because many of my high school classmates in Killeen now lives in Austin.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And will continue to do so. Because many of my high school classmates in Killeen now lives in Austin.
Yeah I had a few black friends move to Austin; two moved back to Waco and three others went to Houston and Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas