Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,670 times

Advertisements

Lol, someone made a video about this very subject (NSFW language):

Goose Goose Duck: Everyone in T.Dot wears the same damn coat - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Why are they so big? lol

Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
I couldn't care less what kind of coat someone wears and I really don't understand why anyone else would care either!!!!!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:40 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I couldn't care less what kind of coat someone wears and I really don't understand why anyone else would care either!!!!!
Such anger for someone who doesn't care about the subject.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Such anger for someone who doesn't care about the subject.
That's not anger in any way shape or form. it's "Meh", who cares.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I think it's a combination of several things:
  • the jackets are not overly attractive (especially the bomber style), which plays into unreasonable demand
  • they are extremely overpriced, avg $600-800, the price not based on actual value but designed to make buyer feel "elite"
  • originally built for extreme weather (mostly dry cold, not optimal for rain or excessive moisture), the relatively "balmy" TO winter is overkill
  • no one would buy it without the crest because the sole intent is to IMPRESS others. Is the value in the actual features of the coat, or in the little crest stitched to the sleeve? Remove it and see how fast they sell. The price would have to drop severely, which tells you all you need to know.
The jackets are simply what practical folks would call pretentious. Everyone is guilty of self-pampering and falling prey to branding and marketing. But the sheer en masse herding to buy these jackets is amusing to those of us who have seen similar trends come and go over the years.

It just gives the impression of people trying too hard. In a city like TO, where people are always accused of scrambling for an image of sophistication and trendiness, it gets noticed more, especially by those visiting from away.

Much harder to feel "elite" or "special" or "original" when everyone else has the same thing. So what else did they get for their hard-earned (debt) money? Meanwhile, Canada Goose rakes it in and laughs, their marketing dept cracking another bottle of champagne while congratulating themselves on a job well done.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No, a winter jacket is never worth $650. Don't jump for the bandwagen unless you are loaded.
The $650 price tag is really the only reason they are popular. Toronto certainly does not get cold enough to necessitate the purchase of one of these. They were designed for survival use in the polar regions, not for urban "trendsetters" who want to show the world that they have more money than brains.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,249 times
I've owned a Canada Goose coat now for the last three years and I can definitely say it was a worth while investment. I went for the Expedition parka and whilst that may seem a little extreme, on those really really cold days there's certainly no other jacket you would have to keep you warm.

Some people have commented on the fact that they're overpriced. I would suggest doing some research into how the jackets are made. If you think Canada Goose is overpriced then check out Moncler and Nigel Cabourn jackets.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
I think it's a combination of several things:
  • the jackets are not overly attractive (especially the bomber style), which plays into unreasonable demand
  • they are extremely overpriced, avg $600-800, the price not based on actual value but designed to make buyer feel "elite"
  • originally built for extreme weather (mostly dry cold, not optimal for rain or excessive moisture), the relatively "balmy" TO winter is overkill
  • no one would buy it without the crest because the sole intent is to IMPRESS others. Is the value in the actual features of the coat, or in the little crest stitched to the sleeve? Remove it and see how fast they sell. The price would have to drop severely, which tells you all you need to know.
The jackets are simply what practical folks would call pretentious. Everyone is guilty of self-pampering and falling prey to branding and marketing. But the sheer en masse herding to buy these jackets is amusing to those of us who have seen similar trends come and go over the years.

It just gives the impression of people trying too hard. In a city like TO, where people are always accused of scrambling for an image of sophistication and trendiness, it gets noticed more, especially by those visiting from away.

Much harder to feel "elite" or "special" or "original" when everyone else has the same thing. So what else did they get for their hard-earned (debt) money? Meanwhile, Canada Goose rakes it in and laughs, their marketing dept cracking another bottle of champagne while congratulating themselves on a job well done.
This thread is funny! Loved the video!

But I don't think the jackets look bad ... there is a "hip" factor in there ...

In his book, The Tipping Point, Canadian writer Malcolm Gladwell explains why clothes/ brands/ accessories become popular ....
Wasn't there a time when every girl in Toronto was carrying a "TNA bag"? And why does every person at a hipster coffee shop always have a Macbook?

Even Globe&Mail did an article on this!
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...7839/?page=all

Old 10-10-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Wasn't there a time when every girl in Toronto was carrying a "TNA bag"? And why does every person at a hipster coffee shop always have a Macbook?
During my high school days in the late-80's it was FAR-WEST jackets, when GORE-TEX was the latest advancement in cold-repellant technology. Sold for hundreds of dollars back in the day, now hanging on used and vintage racks for $10 a piece.

The best part about Macbooks is how the Apple logo glows ever so slightly, lest someone NOT know you are hip enough for a Mac. Again, sell a Macbook without the logo and see how it sells. Most people don't buy the specs, they buy the image associated with the product.

The worst are teens wearing those low-quality HOLLISTER and ABERCROMBIE t-shirts. Rags they paid good money for so they can be walking billboards. Same with COACH bags and their prominent branding plates, and the new POLO and LACOSTE shirts with logo crests so large they now take up half the shirt.

We all do it. Just sometimes fun to call it out and mock it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto