Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 09:09 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I saw an add at a highway bill board on I-95 heading into Newark stating that Newark NJ gets 40 million visitors a year, by the local tourism bureau. Newark NJ of all places. Wonder how many of those are airport "transit" visitors because Newark Liberty also happens to be the largest United Airlines hub on the east coast.
I can't give you any more +1's so here's a virtual +1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 09:22 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Seriously though, how often do you meet someone from another country whose dream it is to visit a Canadian city? Not just being polite, as in ''Oh, you're from CanadianCityX, that's so nice. I've always wanted to go there''… but in a way that you could tell it was actually sincere that it was a real life goal or travel goal to see a particular Canadian city.

I've been all over the world and met people in innumerable places from youth hostels to international conferences. People have mentioned stuff like the Rockies to me and I totally believe that quite a few Japanese women really aspire to visit PEI.

But aside from that, it's gotta be pretty rare, especially when it comes to our cities.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:04 AM

Actually in the US a lot of people want to visit Montreal and Quebec City for the novelty I presume. I know that it was high on my list after many had said how nice it was and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Others have Vancouver on their bucket list, mainly for the skiing I presume.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:38 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
How does this morph from Toronto/Chicago into a Toronto/Montreal debate?

In terms of tourism, Toronto isn't a particularly interesting place. We should get over that. Numbers of visitors don't mean much because many are business or connections or family-related. Frankfurt probably has more "visitors" than many places 5 times more interesting. Toronto is not particularly exciting or beautiful to visit even among boring North American cities. I can understand people who fly 8000 miles to Canada to appreciate the natural beauty, but the cities? hell no. We have livable cities, but not fascinating ones. In terms of travel, I would still recommend Chicago over Toronto. Chicago is way more impressive in terms of architecture and photo-shoots. Toronto, not so much. Do I think Chicago is a "better" city? No. Don't tell me Toronto has so many neighbourhoods. Every large city has different neighbourhoods. God, it is hard to find a city which doesn't call itself "a city of neighbourhoods". Most people go to cities to see history, architecture, landmarks, and Toronto doesn't shine in any of those. Many cities in south America are far more interesting than Toronto.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:38 AM

298 posts, read 276,940 times
Chicago is a big populated city with 9 million people in the Chicago metropolitan, Toronto only has 6 million.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:42 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
Chicago is a big populated city with 9 million people in the Chicago metropolitan, Toronto only has 6 million.
we have been through this.
Having 3 million or 6 million people living in those dead suburbs with nothing but trees, houses and strip malls full of Walmarts and CVS doesn't matter.

Suburbs DON'T matter. Actually, the less suburb, the better. Both cities and farmland can be beautiful. Suburbs are fugly.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Actually in the US a lot of people want to visit Montreal and Quebec City for the novelty I presume. I know that it was high on my list after many had said how nice it was and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Considering the majority of tourists come during non-skiing season, I don't think so.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:

These are the cities I've heard people mention - though not that often TBQH.

I suppose Montreal and Quebec City have the outlier (man bites dog) thing going for them as "French" (sic) cities in a part of the world where logically there shouldn't be any.

Vancouver has this kind of mystique as a kind of shiny emerald (well, maybe that's not the right colour) city nestled on the coast between the mountains and the sea.

In none of these cases does this represent anything as compelling as Rio or even Sydney, but there is a certain allure for some people, to the point that it's come up on occasion.

I've never actually heard in all my travels (or foruming) someone from abroad say it was a "bucket list" type of goal of theirs to visit Toronto, Ottawa or any other Canadian city.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
These are the cities I've heard people mention - though not that often TBQH.

I suppose Montreal and Quebec City have the outlier (man bites dog) thing going for them as "French" (sic) cities in a part of the world where logically there shouldn't be any.

Vancouver has this kind of mystique as a kind of shiny emerald (well, maybe that's not the right colour) city nestled on the coast between the mountains and the sea.

In none of these cases does this represent anything as compelling as Rio or even Sydney, but there is a certain allure for some people, to the point that it's come up on occasion.

I've never actually heard in all my travels (or foruming) someone from abroad say it was a "bucket list" type of goal of theirs to visit Toronto, Ottawa or any other Canadian city.
Well, my bucket list was to visit the Montreal Jazz Fest. Vancouver doesn't interest me, we have our share of West Coast cities like San Francisco and Seattle that give that "maritime with mountains" feel.

The mountains of Canada may be a lure to me but then again, Colorado/Wyoming and other mountain states in the US have all that and more (you don't have anything remotely similar to Yellowstone).

The real lure of Canada is Quebec and possibly the East Coast Maritime Provinces (Nova Scotia/Newfoundland) and Vancouver (for some).

I think the lure of Toronto is for immigrants wanting a foothold in North America, international businessman and women, and provincial Canadians that want to experience the big city but don't want to leave the country.

Toronto is far better than most US cities like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, etc... IMHO, but can't hold a candle to NYC, LA, Boston, SF, Miami, etc...

Old 07-08-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Well, my bucket list was to visit the Montreal Jazz Fest. Vancouver doesn't interest me, we have our share of West Coast cities like San Francisco and Seattle that give that "maritime with mountains" feel.

The mountains of Canada may be a lure to me but then again, Colorado/Wyoming and other mountain states in the US have all that and more (you don't have anything remotely similar to Yellowstone).

The real lure of Canada is Quebec and possibly the East Coast Maritime Provinces (Nova Scotia/Newfoundland) and Vancouver (for some).

I think the lure of Toronto is for immigrants wanting a foothold in North America, international businessman and women, and provincial Canadians that want to experience the big city but don't want to leave the country.

Toronto is far better than most US cities like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, etc... IMHO, but can't hold a candle to NYC, LA, Boston, SF, Miami, etc...
Yeah, I've certainly heard of some people saying they want to move to Canada and that the place they might like to settle in is Toronto... but that's not quite the same thing that we're discussing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto