Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 09:11 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Another factor to consider is that the Quebec provincial government, relative to population (and probably even in total dollars), spends quite a bit more on culture than the Ontario provincial government does.

Most of that spending is done in the province's largest city.

The federal government also often does ''equal'' spending or support for anglophone and francophone stuff, and so given that the francophone market is smaller (in terms of population, not necessarily in terms of eyeballs or bums in seats) the proportional impact of each federal dollar or initiative can also be greater in some cases.
That's a good point.

I was actually surprised by the wide array of cultural offerings in Quebec City as well. Seems like a city that punches above its weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 10:18 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
That's a good point.

I was actually surprised by the wide array of cultural offerings in Quebec City as well. Seems like a city that punches above its weight.
Many locations in Quebec can often have a very strong sense of place that is woven into a cultural storyline that then become well-known across the province (and often across French-speaking Canada). This applies not just to urban neighbourhoods in Montreal like the Plateau Mont-Royal, immortalized in the plays of Michel Tremblay, or St-Henri, in the novel and movie Bonheur d'Occasion, or St-Sauveur in Quebec City (Les Plouffe novels, TV shows, movies), but also very small towns like St-Elie-de-Caxton which are known to people all over the province due to famous and popular tall tales told by storytellers. Or sometimes it's popular songs.

I find the only place in Anglo-Canada where you find something remotely similar is Newfoundland.

Other places in Canada may have some of these things going on, but the renown usually remains very localized and it's not part of a comprehensive whole that forms a "national culture" known to people a long distance away but who happen to be part of the same cultural space. They usually remain "fringe".

Anne of Green Gables might be a notable exception to the rule, but even then the cross-Canada renown is only partial. Most people don't even know there is a musical (or maybe more than one) based on the book, and even fewer could hum some of the tunes.

For such things Québécois, you can walk into a random house in Val-d'Or or Baie-Comeau and chances are people will know exactly what you are talking about and "get" the cultural references.

That's what I mean by "comprehensive".

Old 07-07-2016, 11:10 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Don't mean to be dismissive about Montreal - its a great city and has a stronger native culture than Toronto (obviously Toronto is way too diverse to have such unilateral cultural supremacy) but in terms of overall and diverse cultural amenities/expression - this is 2016 not 1976 and Montreal is increasingly too small to compete with Toronto even in this realm.
Typically whenever someone begins a sentence with "Don't mean to be something BUT", it always means the reverse. So if you don't want to be dismissive about Montreal, why not actually NOT be dismissive in your follow-up statement?

Also, bit hard to put together the logic that "bigger" = more diverse with more cultural expressions, whatever that actually means.

You are right, this is 2016, not 1976 - Montreal has also moved on from the era of Olympics, just like Toronto has moved on from the era of Rob Ford. There are also many much smaller cities around the world that can easily beat Toronto in the cultural influence realm - almost all the major European capitals have smaller populations yet easily win in the cultural influence and amenitiescategory hands down against Toronto. Even North American cities, like SF (merely 870,000 population in city proper) easily win in GDP ($388 billion USD in city proper vs $276 billion USD in Toronto spread across 3x more population than SF), cultural/political/economic influence far more than Toronto.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:18 AM

909 posts, read 1,154,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

It has not been called the Skydome for a number of years........It is the Rogers Centre now.
People still call it the Skydome colloquially though.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:

This coming from a person who hasn't visited Toronto's museum offerings. Do you like Theatre? Festivals? Indy? Sports? Bizarre how some throw F1 around for Montreal yet completely overlook Indy hmmm....

What do you like? If you say unique French Canadian culture and prefer F1 to Indy or a better Jazz festival than well - umm yeah. We can all sort of move the discussion to specific areas that we prefer to say something is better.... I could say I prefer Caribbean festivals to Jazz and hence sway things for Toronto as Montreal has no Caribana equivalent. See how that goes?

hint - if you like local theatre (not the broadway mirvish type stuff) go to Soulpepper theatre in the distillery district on your next visit. It is superb!

ABOUT US | Soulpepper

The distillery itself is superb

The Distillery District - Home
I already explained my reasons why Montreal needs more days in my other post and I'm not gonna say it again. I don't need to visit every single attraction in Toronto to realize that. Generally Montreal is more interesting to visit for North American tourists because of its unique culture and architecture. But that's just my opinion. Some people prefer the culture and architecture of Toronto and that's fine.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:44 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I already explained my reasons why Montreal needs more days in my other post and I'm not gonna say it again. I don't need to visit every single attraction in Toronto to realize that. Generally Montreal is more interesting to visit for North American tourists because of its unique culture and architecture. But that's just my opinion. Some people prefer the culture and architecture of Toronto and that's fine.
As an American, when I visited Canada I found Quebec to be magical and almost European like. I found Toronto to be a bit sterile. I did, however, find that the Maritime Provinces had a unique cultural that I liked.

This is from a completely touristic point of view, grant you.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
You wouldn't agree that it is?
Probably

Most probably actually but we're not all working automatons either and that is why I posted the info I did - to provide a contrast to the assumption that Toronto is just this or that like Cbach was doing. Than you have GM10 who simply doesn't want to experience offerings in Toronto but at the same time wants to portray himself as some sort of expert on it.. Nonsense.

Quote:
This dick-measuring over museums gets a bit silly at one point as we can all add or include museums (like the Musée d'art contemporain) or exclude others that will give the other city an edge of a few hundred K over the other.

BTW, the most visited museum in Canada is actually the Canadian Museum of History right here in Gatineau. It's not an art museum but does have a fairly extensive collection of art on display.
I don't think its wrong to provide information as to the cultural offerings of a place. Remember, the accusation was levelled that Toronto was less than. I countered the accusation with information. Do I expect everyone to respond objectively - not at all. I'm not in here to make friends - i'm here to present information and if it counters what the sheeple think that is great. If I'm shown to be incorrect i'm welcome to stand corrected about a matter.

I'm aware of the Canadian Museum of History being the most visited in the country. I posted a link providing such information AJ and didn't make any such case otherwise. I also was well aware that MMFA is slightly more visited than ROM - just wanted to make a point that before people throw out the cultural prowess of Toronto - they may want to research the matter a bit. Its easy to make assumptions without information. Of course, once information is provided people get a little hissy like my sister BK for example.

I can post info that shows Toronto has the most artists in the country

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...rticle1208486/

Some in here don't want to hear that because well - you and I both know why

Last edited by fusion2; 07-07-2016 at 05:40 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Typically whenever someone begins a sentence with "Don't mean to be something BUT", it always means the reverse. So if you don't want to be dismissive about Montreal, why not actually NOT be dismissive in your follow-up statement?
No it typically means that they are giving due respect and weighing things on the whole. Stop psychoanalyzing Dr Phil or should I say Philomena. If I didn't think Montreal was a great place for culture across the board I'd say it. As a matter of fact - I think its exceptional that Canada has cities like Toronto and Montreal - they are both wonderful I just happen to think that the numbers are pushing things in T.O favour even in the cultural realm. Aga Khan is a recent 300 million dollar cultural institution and its in Toronto because of heavy immigration and because the city is growing and prospering. Things like this adds to its cultural prowess So yes, i'll provide information to counter the contention that Toronto isn't imo at this stage of the game a bigger player in the country when it comes to cultural amenities. It has demonstrable more creative talent etc. Why people get their back up about it is strange and more emotive than anything.

Quote:
Also, bit hard to put together the logic that "bigger" = more diverse with more cultural expressions, whatever that actually means.
Your being difficult tonight... Calm down sister

Quote:
You are right, this is 2016, not 1976 - Montreal has also moved on from the era of Olympics, just like Toronto has moved on from the era of Rob Ford. There are also many much smaller cities around the world that can easily beat Toronto in the cultural influence realm - almost all the major European capitals have smaller populations yet easily win in the cultural influence and amenitiescategory hands down against Toronto. Even North American cities, like SF (merely 870,000 population in city proper) easily win in GDP ($388 billion USD in city proper vs $276 billion USD in Toronto spread across 3x more population than SF), cultural/political/economic influence far more than Toronto.
Calm down sister and stop lecturing me like I've never left Toronto. I'm more than aware that there are cities in Europe smaller than Toronto that were capitals of civilization (Say Vienna) when both Montreal and Toronto were nothing but remote backwater places that have more cultural prowess. Please be more enlightening with your posts to me or don't bother.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-07-2016 at 06:08 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Only you would take some suggestions that someone spends the time to give you and respond this way. Its a strange thing in CD that people respond with information and suggestions with their back up if someone doesn't support their narrative. If you don't want to enjoy the offerings of the city that is fine - that said it kind of makes your opinion somewhat less learned on the matter of Toronto if you haven't visited its offerings yet being so opinionated on the matter....

Last edited by fusion2; 07-07-2016 at 05:42 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Only you would take some suggestions that someone spends the time to give you and respond this way. Its a strange thing in CD that people respond with information and suggestions with their back up if someone doesn't support their narrative. If you don't want to enjoy the offerings of the city that is fine - that said it kind of makes your opinion somewhat less learned on the matter of Toronto.
You want me to back up my support? Read my other post. I don't need to repeat it twice. I also clearly said they are my opinions. Why are you so affected by this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto