Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times

Advertisements

I just checked

the south american population in canada is 0.7%, its highest in Quebec and ontario, in other provinces is pretty much N/A

in the Us most south Americans are Florida and New york.... and they make up 0.8% of Us population

both are pretty tied up

what I find interesting is China, India, philippines are so far away yet they make huge percentages of immigrants in Canada and the US while South Americans who are on the same hemisphere and continental landmass as Canada and the US are so relatively few in number.

There are even more middle easterners in Canada and the US than South Americans!

Central Americans and Mexicans are the same thing (I think) but they are overrepresented
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 06:13 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
The same thing? What do you mean by that? And how are they " overrepresented? Is there a limit of how many there are supposed to be ? There are more Colombians here than any single central American nationality.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
The same thing? What do you mean by that? And how are they " overrepresented? Is there a limit of how many there are supposed to be ? There are more Colombians here than any single central American nationality.
well central americans and mexicans are certainly hard to tell apart by third nationalities

what I mean is if you're colombian or argentinian or whatever it's not easy to tell a salvadorean from a guatemalan or a mexican.... they look kinda similar.

I am sure there are differences though but to third parties is hard

is not like telling a brazilian from a mexican, or a cuban from an argentina that you can tell just by looking at them most of the time.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:47 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Quebec =/= an entire continent

since we're talking about diversity, I am pointing out that there are rarely any south americans in canada and pretty much most of the US

people say latino and think mexican, forgetting mexicans and south americans are completely different peoples and cultures....
take mexicans away you'll realize there is virtually next to none communities from any south american nationality in north americas.

According to the US census South Americans make up less than 0.7% of the US population and in Canada the number is even less!!!

both countries USA and canada do have ****loads of chinese, indians, mexicans and philipinos though (that is the north american diversity) in other words.... having a ****load of mexicans doesnt equal having latin american diversity, nor having cities completely saturated with chinese and indians make toronto and vancouver international cities full of diversity!!!
Yes I know that (first line). Thanks.

I still don't see how there can be a minimum or a maximum, or how one can say a particular group is over or under represented.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:30 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
well central americans and mexicans are certainly hard to tell apart by third nationalities

what I mean is if you're colombian or argentinian or whatever it's not easy to tell a salvadorean from a guatemalan or a mexican.... they look kinda similar.

is not like telling a brazilian from a mexican, or a cuban from an argentina that you can tell just by looking at them most of the time.
I somewhat agree that at times it is difficult to tell Mexicans, Salvadorians and Guatemalan's apart. If you are thinking of them in the stereotypical sense. Once you speak to them though the differences instantly jump out at you. There are different regional dialects and the accents are very different. Especially in the case of Salvadorians who have a very distinct accent. That is why I hate how all "Hispanics/Latino's" are grouped together. All these countries share is language, but the type of Spanish varies throughout the continent.

It is similar to how many West Indians speak English, but once they open their mouths it is easy to tell each Island apart.

Plus you are South American so you know there is a ton of variety throughout the region. Two of my closest friends in Boston are S. American, but one is a Korean Argentinian and the other is a Japanese Brazilian, so you can hardly just look at someone and instantly tell who they are.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:41 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,057 times
Quote:

I see where you are going with the looks, and you are right to a point, but within Mexico there is a lot of variation, as there is within many Central American countries as well. Though ive found Salvadoreans to be the least varied of the four (Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras), whereas the Hondurans i came across had very interesting mixes of African, European and Indigenous. This is based on personal experience of course, and perhaps El Salvador is equally diverse, but havent looked it up
up.

My mom is from Mexico and she still assumes that anyone that is short and indigenous looking is Central American, specifically Salvadorean and Guatemalan. Of course i remind her that they can easily be Mexican, but more oft then not she is acrually correct. A good amount of indigenous Mexicans you see nowadays are from Oaxaca. Oaxacans though look different than Guatemalans and Salvadoreans, since one they arent of mixed Mayan blood like Guatemalans (and Chiapas/Yucatan/Quintana Roo in Southern Mexico), but more of other tribes, like zapotec. I guess to an outsider the difference between someone of zapotec heritage or Mayan heritage, might be like trying to discern the difference between a swede and a finn. Which I can't, lol.

My point though is that only.because people are short and indigenous doesnt mean they necessarily look alike. Zapotecs (from Oaxaca), Mayans (southern Mexico, northern Central América), indigenous Peruvians and Bolivians all have very unique looks.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:41 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
The Greek community in the US was established very early. That is why you will run into many people in NY, Boston and Chicago with Greek surnames.
"New York State claims the highest number of those identifying as Greek (185,024), followed by Illinois, California and Massachusetts...The 2009 American Community Survey Estimates also put the figure of people who claim Greek ancestry in New York City at 91,289, making up 1.08% of the whole NYC population. Of those who claimed Greek ancestry in NYC in 2009, 31,707 (35%) are foreign-born and 56,688 (62%) speak Greek at home...The percentages of those who speak Greek and do not speak English well are much higher in NYC than in other parts of the country, suggesting that the high concentration of Greek speakers in one area contributes to a more robust bilingual community."

https://books.google.ca/books?id=O_9...20home&f=false

"The second wave of Greek immigration to New York City between 1965 and 1980 dramatically reshaped the landscape of Queens and turned Astoria into the second largest Hellenic city outside of Athens."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1247090

Old 02-20-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I see where you are going with the looks, and you are right to a point, but within Mexico there is a lot of variation, as there is within many Central American countries as well. Though ive found Salvadoreans to be the least varied of the four (Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras), whereas the Hondurans i came across had very interesting mixes of African, European and Indigenous. This is based on personal experience of course, and perhaps El Salvador is equally diverse, but havent looked it up
up.

My mom is from Mexico and she still assumes that anyone that is short and indigenous looking is Central American, specifically Salvadorean and Guatemalan. Of course i remind her that they can easily be Mexican, but more oft then not she is acrually correct. A good amount of indigenous Mexicans you see nowadays are from Oaxaca. Oaxacans though look different than Guatemalans and Salvadoreans, since one they arent of mixed Mayan blood like Guatemalans (and Chiapas/Yucatan/Quintana Roo in Southern Mexico), but more of other tribes, like zapotec. I guess to an outsider the difference between someone of zapotec heritage or Mayan heritage, might be like trying to discern the difference between a swede and a finn. Which I can't, lol.

My point though is that only.because people are short and indigenous doesnt mean they necessarily look alike. Zapotecs (from Oaxaca), Mayans (southern Mexico, northern Central América), indigenous Peruvians and Bolivians all have very unique looks.
if you're unfamiliar with the region, you tend to sort of dump all the small central american countries (with the exception of panama) which is perhaps more renown with mexico.

like if you go to colombia most people wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a honduran and a mexican..... but most would be able to tell a mexican from an argentinian, or a venezuelan from a peruvian, do you know what I mean?

maybe is just a matter of exposure

Old 02-20-2015, 07:25 PM

277 posts, read 786,201 times
Quote:
I just checked

what I find interesting is China, India, philippines are so far away yet they make huge percentages of immigrants in Canada and the US while South Americans who are on the same hemisphere and continental landmass as Canada and the US are so relatively few in number.

There are even more middle easterners in Canada and the US than South Americans!
I'm not an immigration expert, but a lot of this depends on the immigration policies of the host country and how easy it is to *leave* your home country. Geographical location to the emigrants country of choice may have very little to do with it.

Although we're not talking about refugees per se, the article I posted below alludes to the fact that most professionals from Latin American countries choose to stay home, while many Latinos who choose to emigrate face tremendous difficulty in a country like Canada.

Check it out:

Hispanic Refugees and Immigrants in Canada: An Overview

Old 02-21-2015, 03:15 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
up.

Honduran people are very mixed and have a wide variety of looks. My cousin is half Honduran and has German heritage. I think people from Nicaragua are pretty mixed as well from what I have seen.In general, all Latin Americans are pretty diverse in looks, even Argentines.

You and I both know that the Mexican population is a lot more mixed than some want to recognize. Interestingly I have a lot of Mexican friends of Asian and European descent (non-Spanish). A lot of these people are interchangeable in looks with all types of Latin Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto