Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,830,155 times

Advertisements

Even the pauper lives like a king in TO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 07:54 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,830,155 times
People are fairly reserved in Toronto. There is a trick to breaking the ice- Listen to people...make quick judgement calls on the type of character the person is. This morning I went out to the store. It is a busy place and people are standing waiting for street cars..grabbing a coffee or doing some morning shopping. The "listening" part- I over heard a woman chatting outside the store- she seemed to be a chipper and bubbly sort...with a sense of humor.. This observation let me know one thing- That the person is approachable...She came into the store. She bumped into a basket of plumbs sending them rolling across the floor....Opportunity I thought.

I knew I could comment..."It's very early and you are destroying the place" _she saw the humor ...and laughed..we had a nice short chat. Once you size up a person- you can speak to them as if you have known them all your life. You are not going to make friends in Toronto unless you take the time to evaluate a person...it just takes good will and a little effort. If you can not make friends in Toronto - it is because you don't want friends.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:45 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,995,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
PThe "listening" part- I over heard a woman chatting outside the store- she seemed to be a chipper and bubbly sort...with a sense of humor.. This observation let me know one thing- That the person is approachable...She came into the store. She bumped into a basket of plumbs sending them rolling across the floor....Opportunity I thought.

I knew I could comment..."It's very early and you are destroying the place" _she saw the humor ...and laughed..we had a nice short chat.
And, let me guess, you're the best of friends now?
More than likely, you never saw or heard from her again.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,708 times
I will share my story as well. I have been in Toronto for about 13 years, and I still do not have any friends - none whatsoever. I questioned myself many times why is this. So, out of loneliness, I'd sometimes go on trips with meetup groups, but still I do not have a buddy to really chat with or for someone really get to know me as person to go for walks/shopping, chit chat - things friends would do together, etc. People whom I met would talk casually making small talks, and that would be it and they go their way. I'd start all over looking for friends - why is it so hard in Toronto, let alone to find a fellow? I recall once winning a tickets for a concert, but I had no one to take - so went alone. It's hard to make friends here, definitely. I do agree that people are polite in Toronto, but don't take a foreigner into their circle. I will join a church and see how that goes.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:41 AM

49 posts, read 83,228 times
I lived in america you can make friends more easy there but they will rape you when ur back is turned, Canadians wont do much to you, most of the time they are easy to handle, AMERICANS ARE NOT! specially if you are a woman, you NEED to worry about your wives or kids there (NOT that i have any), Woman have big reason to fear there. HEre woman are much nicer and easy going cause its not as dangerous for them but its not all farry land either. But you see a huge diff. People carry guns there and get in your **** for no reason. HEre they usually do mind their own business if they dont its easy to make them. THey dont have guns usually.

We just have brutal horrible weather.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:18 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,053,295 times
Errr.... are you talking about Baghdad or the States?

Old 11-14-2013, 10:47 AM

277 posts, read 786,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0095 View Post
I lived in america you can make friends more easy there but they will rape you when ur back is turned, Canadians wont do much to you, most of the time they are easy to handle, AMERICANS ARE NOT! specially if you are a woman, you NEED to worry about your wives or kids there (NOT that i have any), Woman have big reason to fear there. HEre woman are much nicer and easy going cause its not as dangerous for them but its not all farry land either. But you see a huge diff. People carry guns there and get in your **** for no reason. HEre they usually do mind their own business if they dont its easy to make them. THey dont have guns usually.

I'm actually curious about the statements above. Can you provide any specific examples about this?

Old 11-24-2013, 03:48 PM

120 posts, read 265,412 times
Yes, it's very hard. Like most big cities, nobody looks at you, in public places or transit everyone's looking at their phone or tablet and doesn't notice or care who's getting on or sitting next to them. Workplace romances or even friendships appear to be discouraged so I don't see much of that.

The people here are generally rude. They hate the United States and especially hate Americans with a fierceness I've never seen. If you've had anything to do with America, whether living or studying there, that's a good way for someone to never speak to you again. There are many low skilled, unsocialized immigrants here and for the most parts are great. There are a great many others who have not learned the Canadian Social Contract of not cutting in front of you or blocking your path in the sidewalk or trying to run you over as you're crossing with the walk sign. Since many are cab drivers, they appear to have learned English by listening to their drunk/high fares who use very sexually explicit language! which these guys then use in everyday life! often not knowing what those terms exactly mean. Nobody holds open the door for you. Pregnant and riding crowded public transit? Too bad, you're standing.

Nobody really talks to each other here unless they want something from you or are begging for money or are begging for you to donate to some charity. It wasn't always like this. I miss what this city once was. Now it's going to be a league of very rich downtowners and very poor suburbanites who'll have to spend almost $140 a month on a MetroPass to get to a job that pays $9 an hour.

So yes. It is hard to find friends here. And be ready to be single and childless for many, many years unless you're coming here with a significant other.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:09 PM

242 posts, read 369,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto416 View Post
Yes, it's very hard. Like most big cities, nobody looks at you, in public places or transit everyone's looking at their phone or tablet and doesn't notice or care who's getting on or sitting next to them. Workplace romances or even friendships appear to be discouraged so I don't see much of that.

The people here are generally rude. They hate the United States and especially hate Americans with a fierceness I've never seen. If you've had anything to do with America, whether living or studying there, that's a good way for someone to never speak to you again. There are many low skilled, unsocialized immigrants here and for the most parts are great. There are a great many others who have not learned the Canadian Social Contract of not cutting in front of you or blocking your path in the sidewalk or trying to run you over as you're crossing with the walk sign. Since many are cab drivers, they appear to have learned English by listening to their drunk/high fares who use very sexually explicit language! which these guys then use in everyday life! often not knowing what those terms exactly mean. Nobody holds open the door for you. Pregnant and riding crowded public transit? Too bad, you're standing.

Nobody really talks to each other here unless they want something from you or are begging for money or are begging for you to donate to some charity. It wasn't always like this. I miss what this city once was. Now it's going to be a league of very rich downtowners and very poor suburbanites who'll have to spend almost $140 a month on a MetroPass to get to a job that pays $9 an hour.

So yes. It is hard to find friends here. And be ready to be single and childless for many, many years unless you're coming here with a significant other.
The general area of Toronto, Ohio, Chicago, Michigan, Minnesota and PA are very hard to make friends, now LA and SF are by far the easiest place to make friends, I don't know why people are so just sociable there, NYC is easy but still a bit harder than LA or just California.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:11 PM

242 posts, read 369,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0095 View Post

People that lived in America don't say that sorry troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto