Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 AM

163 posts, read 628,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
im from mississauga and dont like it (and dont like mississauga either)
What i hate most is it's arrogance
People think its the best city in the world
Like on this board people are comparing it to NYC...no city in america can even compare to NYC
Toronto is nothing but your average large city.
Oh and its architecture sucks
i don't see the animosity between regions as i do between city hubs. i rarely, if at all, hear someone say, "markham is better than oakville." i hear more of, "toronto/GTA is better than winnipeg."

but i agree, all municipalities surrounding toronto are pretty much the same.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:09 AM

106 posts, read 357,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
im from mississauga and dont like it (and dont like mississauga either)
What i hate most is it's arrogance
People think its the best city in the world
Like on this board people are comparing it to NYC...no city in america can even compare to NYC
Toronto is nothing but your average large city.
Oh and its architecture sucks
haha.. try living in nyc and come back to this post with the same comments. i just moved from nyc to toronto and you don't know how lucky you have it. nyc is the most taxed city in america, so even smelling the roses will cost you $$. the fantasy most non-nyc residents have of nyc after visiting or watching seinfeld, gossip girl, sex in the city or friends, is so far from the actual truth. so i think in short, your comment is more of 'grass is always greener on the other side' kind of statement.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
haha.. try living in nyc and come back to this post with the same comments. i just moved from nyc to toronto and you don't know how lucky you have it. nyc is the most taxed city in america, so even smelling the roses will cost you $$. the fantasy most non-nyc residents have of nyc after visiting or watching seinfeld, gossip girl, sex in the city or friends, is so far from the actual truth. so i think in short, your comment is more of 'grass is always greener on the other side' kind of statement.
NYC is by far the most expensive city in North America, that is a fact. But if you look at Toronto its residents also have to bear a huge tax burden and high COL. According to Mercer Toronto is the 54th most expensive city in the world (#1 in Canada, 2nd in North America) and the UBS study ranks Toronto as the 24th most expensive in the world (#1 in Canada, 3rd in North America).

When you combine that fact with overall tax burden, low GDP per capita, high unemployment and average to below average wages by major city standards you hardly have an ideal situation in Toronto either.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
NYC is by far the most expensive city in North America, that is a fact. But if you look at Toronto its residents also have to bear a huge tax burden and high COL. According to Mercer Toronto is the 54th most expensive city in the world (#1 in Canada, 2nd in North America) and the UBS study ranks Toronto as the 24th most expensive in the world (#1 in Canada, 3rd in North America).

When you combine that fact with overall tax burden, low GDP per capita, high unemployment and average to below average wages by major city standards you hardly have an ideal situation in Toronto either.
That's all true but in comparison to NYC, Toronto is MUCH more affordable. I was just talking to a friend from NYC who's ecstatic about the reality of finally being able to afford real estate.

What is looking at?

A $600,000 3 bedroom condo in a treeless, full of old warehouses neighborhood.. Greenpoint, Brooklyn. He'll still have to share it with two others but is happy that prices have come down.

Meanwhile, I'm in the works of buying a $250,000 1 bedroom loft in Queen West.

The only thing I found cheaper in NYC was liquor... thank god for that.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:57 AM

43 posts, read 175,969 times
Toronto is not the most expensive in Canada, Vancouver is. NYC has almost 4 times the population of Toronto so obviously it's GDP would be higher, but in Toronto that dip in GDP goes to free healthcare n almost free education plus toronto is much cleaner than NYC.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:29 AM

176 posts, read 638,787 times
chicken.or.the.nugget, cityboy2 is right, imho.

After Undergrad, growing up in Western Canada and a major city, I thought the US was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I still think it's a great nation, but after living in NYC, and I don't rank it in the high esteem that you do.

I rank Chicago, Houston, and Miami as having a better standard of living than NYC. Taxes aside for one sec, not taking into account how valuable a free health care is for one minute, I bet you'd feel the same way after you lived in New York for a few years, and missed so many things you took for granted in Toronto.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:42 AM

605 posts, read 1,843,062 times
Quote:
I dont want to live in NYC, i realize that for 500 i could buy like a studio in the Village where as in toronto i could buy a two bedroom in downtown...
Im just saying that NYC is a world city and offers so much more than pretty much any city. Its not fair to compare it to TO

Old 05-21-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torano89 View Post
Toronto is not the most expensive in Canada, Vancouver is. NYC has almost 4 times the population of Toronto so obviously it's GDP would be higher, but in Toronto that dip in GDP goes to free healthcare n almost free education plus toronto is much cleaner than NYC.
Umm.....according to the most reputable COL studies (UBS and Mercer) Toronto IS the most expensive city in Canada and at least top 3 in North America, sorry but those are the facts.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
That's all true but in comparison to NYC, Toronto is MUCH more affordable. I was just talking to a friend from NYC who's ecstatic about the reality of finally being able to afford real estate.

What is looking at?

A $600,000 3 bedroom condo in a treeless, full of old warehouses neighborhood.. Greenpoint, Brooklyn. He'll still have to share it with two others but is happy that prices have come down.

Meanwhile, I'm in the works of buying a $250,000 1 bedroom loft in Queen West.

The only thing I found cheaper in NYC was liquor... thank god for that.
I agree and as I said above NYC is the most expensive city in North America and one of the most expensive in the world, so there is no city in NA that can compare to the high COL found in NYC. I was simply saying that the COL in Toronto is still much too high, especially when factoring in the very low salaries that are offered in many industries in the area.

People also need to remember that COL is measured not just by Real Estate costs alone, there are many other factors that need to be considered.

As someone that has lived in both Toronto and NYC, I do not think I would ever live in either city again and am glad I have other options.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
I agree and as I said above NYC is the most expensive city in North America and one of the most expensive in the world, so there is no city in NA that can compare to the high COL found in NYC. I was simply saying that the COL in Toronto is still much too high, especially when factoring in the very low salaries that are offered in many industries in the area.

People also need to remember that COL is measured not just by Real Estate costs alone, there are many other factors that need to be considered.

As someone that has lived in both Toronto and NYC, I do not think I would ever live in either city again and am glad I have other options.
With rising unemployment and the introduction of furlongs in the US, salary difference b/w US and Canada isn't as big as you'd think. Architects in NY are taking a 10 - 20% salary decrease just to keep their jobs. Taxes are (and will be) increasing rapidly in the US. NY State and California are currently in deep trouble and will obviously find new innovative ways to get back what they lost by taxing the public. Based on my time spent in the US, now is definitely not the time to entertain a move down south.

I do think your perception on Toronto being insanely expensive is a tad stretched. If you make $50,000 CDN, you can easily afford rent on a 1 bedroom apartment, have a great social life and save enough for a decent holiday (or two).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto