Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Plus they have ATMs in so many places now, even last time we were in Cambodia (approx six years ago) they didn't have ATMs but I've heard there are plenty now. All these cheap third world countries have ATMs now so why would you bother to carry $500 on you and worry about getting it stolen?
Because to some people, $500 is normal pocket cash. I have several friends who routinely have $1000+ in their money clips. Not everyone walks around with three dimes and a dollar bill in their pocket and a whopping $560 in their bank account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:13 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Because to some people, $500 is normal pocket cash. I have several friends who routinely have $1000+ in their money clips.
We are talking about traveling to a third world country, it would be stupid to walk around with that much pocket cash because expenses are low and ATMs are available.

Quote:
Not everyone walks around with three dimes and a dollar bill in their pocket and a whopping $560 in their bank account.
I don't think anyone has mentioned walking around with $1.30 or anywhere close to that, but thank you for your completely irrelevant elitist sounding comment it was a real contribution to the discussion.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
We are talking about traveling to a third world country, it would be stupid to walk around with that much pocket cash because expenses are low and ATMs are available.
Not neccesarily, but you and I are on such different stratospheres when it comes to travel and standards of living that you wouldn't understand anyhow.

Quote:
I don't think anyone has mentioned walking around with $1.30 or anywhere close to that, but thank you for your completely irrelevant elitist sounding comment it was a real contribution to the discussion.
Sorry you can't understand sarcasm when you read it.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Not neccesarily, but you and I are on such different stratospheres when it comes to travel and standards of living that you wouldn't understand anyhow.
That's true, you sound more like the prepackaged puddle deep experience type, which is fine to each their own. I'd love to hear all the reasons I need thousand dollars in my pocket when traipsing around in a third world country though, what do you want to be ready in case you suddenly want to buy a moped on a whim?

Quote:
Sorry you can't understand sarcasm when you read it.
I can but it is much easier when the poster also makes intelligent comments too, then you know when they are being less serious.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
That's true, you sound more like the prepackaged puddle deep experience type, which is fine to each their own. I'd love to hear all the reasons I need thousand dollars in my pocket when traipsing around in a third world country though, what do you want to be ready in case you suddenly want to buy a moped on a whim?
Actually I have no desire to traipse around a third world country. I prefer to travel within my socio-economic demographic, which is just as much a genuine experience with "locals" as you get sleeping in a mud hut with 15 other people, just a heck of a lot more comfortable.

I'd rather dine in a grand chateau in Bordeaux as the guest of the family who has owned the estate for several hundred years while eating a wonderful meal prepared by a Michelin starred chef with a perfectly aged first growth over eating "God only knows what they put in that" street food with my fingers in Cambodia.

It doesn't have to be had on pennies a day in some third world hell hole to be a real or genuine experience. Not even close. You can't buy the types of wonderful travel experiences I enjoy for any amount of money. You can't just show up, you need to be invited.

For those who enjoy visiting third world countries, have at it and I truly hope you enjoy your travels. But it's not for me, and there's nothing at all wrong or elitist about feeling that way.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I prefer to travel within my socio-economic demographic
I'd rather dine in a grand chateau in Bordeaux
meal prepared by a Michelin starred chef
third world hell hole
You can't just show up, you need to be invited.
there's nothing at all wrong or elitist
Agreed, from your post I get absolutely zero sense of being elitism.

To each their own, I'm likely in the same socio-economic demographic as you are, I just feel there is a better and more diverse experience when traveling outside that instead of yet another fancy meal at the grand chateau.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Actually I have no desire to traipse around a third world country. I prefer to travel within my socio-economic demographic, ... You can't just show up, you need to be invited. ...
Um, who invited you to a $560 travel experience? Seems we don't have a match here.

Quote:
Agreed, from your post I get absolutely zero sense of being elitism.
Annerk, so why are you posting on a Travel 4 5-bones?

We've all been convinced of your inept ability to contribute to this thread, since your grand entry #16, 20, 31, 33 ... Even the OP has had to flee

You can listen and learn on this free forum, but the GREAT contributions that were made on the first couple pages seem to have disappeared too!

Very sad, since the OP was probably not planning on joining the 'Royal Court' of Snobsville.

BOT... onward to delightful CHEAP travel experiences for $560.
Happy New Year and Grand Travels. to ALL

Old 01-01-2011, 04:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
Ok, I know this is going to sound absurd so I don't mind if you point that out to me. I'm just looking to brainstorm some ideas.

I have $560 saved up and my wanderlust is particularly strong. I'd like to travel for the next 3 months on just $560 - doesn't matter where. I realize this is extremely little to travel on, so realistically, I'd probably have to find just one place to settle down in for awhile and find work.

So far, the ideas I've come up with are:

• wwoofing: volunteering on a farm somewhere in exchange for food and shelter.
  • teaching english: the problem is, i don't intend on staying past 3 months, so it's not fair to the kids to start teaching them only to leave them hanging mid-term.
  • fishing in maine/alaska: i don't really have any experience.
all comments, naughty or nice, welcome.
One thing you dont seem clear on is whether you are looking for a summer job or do you want to travel around all summer?.
I suppose if you pack a small tent,do a lot of hitch hiking, and exist on a spartan diet of rice and lentils, $560 might last you 3 months, Using Driveaway companies wont be feasible as they usually require a substantial deposit and in most cases you pay the gas.
getting the occasional day labor job might happen if you connect with the right person or organization,
teaching wont work as you would be expected to be there every day which would negate any traveling plus school is usually closed from late June till September.
Fishing could supplement your diet but each state or province will require you to buy a license, and if its commercial help you are looking at again its a summer job that wont get you travelling much..
Good luck and Let us know how it turns out..

Last edited by jambo101; 01-01-2011 at 04:12 AM..

Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 AM

329 posts, read 1,047,765 times
there are a lot of truths to what has been said here.

if i show up looking clean, well-behaved, and non-threatening, I won't raise any red flags. I also wouldn't need to have a ton of cash on me, since they will understand why a traveler would NOT carry bushloads of cash on him, as long as I can flash a bit of plastic. For all they know, it could have $50,000 on it (disclosure: it, uh, doesn't).

I checked visa requirements. Costa Rica/Panama require something called "proof of departure." When you come in, you need to show that you intend to leave at some point too. So a round-trip ticket is prob the best way to go.

also, i've just been busy making arrangements these last few weeks. I'll be heading to Costa Rica after all. $360 round-trip ticket, taxes included on priceline. ticket is non-refundable and unchangeable. since my total budget was $560, I'll have $200 bux to spend. room, board, food all covered. i'll be pulling weeds out of the ground on a farm overlooking the pacific. it's a 25-hour week commitment and free time will probably be spent doing some legit pleasure reading.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:17 AM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
Ok, I know this is going to sound absurd so I don't mind if you point that out to me. I'm just looking to brainstorm some ideas.

I have $560 saved up and my wanderlust is particularly strong. I'd like to travel for the next 3 months on just $560 - doesn't matter where. I realize this is extremely little to travel on, so realistically, I'd probably have to find just one place to settle down in for awhile and find work.
Another option for the summer months is to work at an amusement park. For example. amusement parks like Cedar Point will give you 40-50 hours per week. They offer dorm space for about $35 per week. Meals are discounted. You should be able to save up a little over the course of the summer to stay on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel