Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 02:34 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Next you'll tell me I'm a bad person for wanting to persue my interests.
I don't think you are a bad person at all for disdaining those who you perceive as lower class than you, rock on.

Quote:
If you arrive in most of western Europe you will be asked specific questions about what you plan on doing and how long you plan on staying. If you don't present a return ticket for a week or three later, you will almost always be asked to verify that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while you are there.
Negative, you need to work on your understanding of the word "always" I think.

Routine questions from an immigration officer is one thing but in the last few years I've arrived in France, Germany, Czech Republic, Netherlands, and UK. I've never shown a return ticket or proof of sufficient funds. I wait in line, get the stamp, and walk in.

Care to try again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 02:35 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I don't think you are a bad person at all for disdaining those who you perceive as lower class than you, rock on.

Negative, you need to work on your understanding of the word "always" I think.

Routine questions from an immigration officer is one thing but in the last few years I've arrived in France, Germany, Czech Republic, Netherlands, and UK. I've never shown a return ticket or proof of sufficient funds. I wait in line, get the stamp, and walk in.

Care to try again?
You've got a proven record of entry and exit per your passport. Big diffrence.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:39 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Couldn't this person be deported for earning money on a tourist visa? This whole trip is a recipe for disaster...

Old 01-01-2011, 05:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Couldn't this person be deported for earning money on a tourist visa? This whole trip is a recipe for disaster...
I think they are not earning money (food and lodging, NO 'traceable' MONETARY COMPENSATION)

Sounds like a great adventure to me. (especially if I was 30- 40 yrs younger).

Did you ever do anything really crazy when you were a youth? (If not what can you tell your grandkids?)

Old 01-01-2011, 05:47 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I think they are not earning money (food and lodging, NO 'traceable' MONETARY COMPENSATION)

Sounds like a great adventure to me. (especially if I was 30- 40 yrs younger).

Did you ever do anything really crazy when you were a youth? (If not what can you tell your grandkids?)
I've done crazy things, but they involve things that lead to a lot of fun, not being strapped to a farm in a central american country without any money or means to do anything. Whats the point of even going to another country if you aren't going to see anything or try the food? On top of that, Costa Rica is a pretty expensive place.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
You've got a proven record of entry and exit per your passport. Big diffrence.
Ah so we continue to narrow down your claim that "most" countries require this proof of funds. At this point it has to be countries in Western Europe, and you have to have a blank passport, and you have to not have proof of onward travel, etc. as we get called on our bull**** we further clarify.

In other words, thread starter going to Panama or Costa Rica should completely disregard worthless advice regarding proof of funds.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:01 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Ah so we continue to narrow down your claim that "most" countries require this proof of funds. At this point it has to be countries in Western Europe, and you have to have a blank passport, and you have to not have proof of onward travel, etc. as we get called on our bull**** we further clarify.

In other words, thread starter going to Panama or Costa Rica should completely disregard worthless advice regarding proof of funds.
It's really irrelevant because you can get hit up for unexpected fees and issues in any country and for every story about people sailing through with no issues here and there, you can find just the opposite.

The more important issue is traveling overseas for 3 months on $200, which the OP has already decided to do. IMHO, it's foolish, this isn't 1910, it's 2010 and $200 doesn't get you far, even in a "3rd world country" or 2nd world country as some would consider Costa Rica. Costa Rica as some have said is getting pretty pricey now and isn't the bargain it was in years past.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Exactly.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It's really irrelevant because you can get hit up for unexpected fees and issues in any country and for every story about people sailing through with no issues here and there, you can find just the opposite.

The more important issue is traveling overseas for 3 months on $200, which the OP has already decided to do. IMHO, it's foolish, this isn't 1910, it's 2010 and $200 doesn't get you far, even in a "3rd world country" or 2nd world country as some would consider Costa Rica. Costa Rica as some have said is getting pretty pricey now and isn't the bargain it was in years past.
Well put. I just hope the OP has more common sense than the person suggesting they do so on this thread. And if they do try it and get caught/tossed in jail/fined/etc. I hope they don't contact the US embassy for help--I'd hate to see my tax dollars going to repatriate someone that took off on such a foolish and poorly thought out quest to begin with.

Not to mention that if my life savings was $560, I think I'd stay home and keep that in the bank for an emergency.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I just hope the OP has more common sense than the person suggesting they do so on this thread.
I didn't see anyone suggesting that was an adequate budget, in fact most of the responses were saying it wasn't enough and warning about visa issues with working.

He's got some good responses to work with, and some pointless/incorrect ones about proof of funds on entrance. Good luck to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel