Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 08:28 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I put my money where my mouth is.
Both of which appear to be larger than average.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 09-02-2014 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 09:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Both of which appear to be larger than average.
I'm not afraid to call out people who refuse to take personal responsibility for themselves. I can't wait until the airlines begin requiring people to buy extra legroom. I can hear the wailing already.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:24 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
The fun continues:
Flight from LaGuardia to PBIA diverted to Jacksonville due to fight over seat recliner - wptv.com

Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,684,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you know you can't fit in your seat the way the seats on the airplane were designed, buy the space you need. Your problem is not mine. Period.
I have to ask....

Is there EVER a circumstance in which you would set aside your right to recline at the kind request of the person behind you? Or is it ALWAYS, WITHOUT FAIL, EVERY SINGLE TIME, the fault of the person behind you for failing to "buy the space s/he needs"?

Old 09-02-2014, 11:57 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
How was someone knitting on the plane? Since when are knitting needles allowed?

"This woman who was sitting next to me knitting actually tried reclining her seat back and the woman behind her started screaming and swearing and the flight attendant came over and that just exacerbated what was going on, and then she demanded that the flight land," he said.

But, yes, I see this sort of thing increasing. And the people who advise me to "suck it and buy an additional seat" are neglecting the fact that there are many seats on the airplane that would work for me. People of my height comprise less than 1% of the population. Seats that would actually work for us comprise more than 1% of the total seats. This isn't a particularly difficult problem to solve.

I look at it like handicapped spaces -- the guy with one leg gets the spot near the store entrance. That's what a decent society does.

I get the better seats on the airplane, but only because I book most flights so far in advance that it's a foregone conclusion. Furthermore, the airline employee always (and I mean ALWAYS) offers to waive the premium seat fee for me. I don't have to ask, and I wouldn't anyway. I have a feeling that their legal department doesn't want the freakishly tall charged extra. Otherwise, they might one day have to reserve a seat for people like me. And then other people would start demanding these seats for the same reason they demand a handicapped placard or a service animal bib for their dog.

Most people are great. Some people are awful. That's just how it is.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:59 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,796,338 times
the seat reclines, that is how it was designed..if you can't fit in the space provided then you are too tall for the seat and need to buy additional space, end of story. Asking others to give up their amenities to accommodate you is rude and inconsiderate.

What is arrogant is asking the other person to compromise to suit you because you don't want to pay for additional space.

Best way to deal with the situation if a person behind gives you grief over reclining your seat is to call the flight attendant and tell them that the person behind you is being hostile and preventing you from reclining your seat. I bet the other person is going to be warned to stop. Never confront people on your own...always go through the official channel.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,814,451 times
I hate flying, and I have not done it since 9-11. The thought to dealing with all the security nonsense has kept me off the planes, and this thread just gives me more reasons not to get on a plane. My car is very comfortable and with all the delays from security, weather etc, Im not so sure that flying even saves as much time as it used too. For example flying from Nashville to Orlando involves getting to the airport hours earlier in order to get through security lines, then there is the hour it takes to park, and how long to get your rental car in florida?? If I drive it then it will take 8 or 9 hours yes it takes longer but I bet flying only saves around 4 hours at best. Now if I were going to Seattle then flying saves a lot of time, but I think to make flying worth the hassle the drive would have to be over 10 hours in order for flying to even be considered. In my car there are no overzealous security gaurds, no fat guys reclining into my knees, no annoying children etc. I wont be getting onto a plane anytime soon.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I have to ask....

Is there EVER a circumstance in which you would set aside your right to recline at the kind request of the person behind you? Or is it ALWAYS, WITHOUT FAIL, EVERY SINGLE TIME, the fault of the person behind you for failing to "buy the space s/he needs"?
I'd say that except in the case of a system-wide ir op, it's their fault for not planning ahead.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

Transporting Knitting Needles and Needlepoint | Transportation Security Administration

Corkscrews are allowed now, too. But not if they have a larger than normal foil cutter attached.

------------------------------------------------

This thread is like watching a car wreck. Just can't take your eyes off it.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Now I know you haven't flown in a very long time.

They've been off the restricted list for going on 10 years.

Quote:

"This woman who was sitting next to me knitting actually tried reclining her seat back and the woman behind her started screaming and swearing and the flight attendant came over and that just exacerbated what was going on, and then she demanded that the flight land," he said.
Here's the problem. The person in the rear seat was laying with her head on the tray table (gross for any number of reasons) and didn't like it when the person in front reclined. She began yelling and cursing, and babbling on about her dogs. Obviously a bit of a nut job. She then demanded the plane be landed. The airline obliged her, and she's likely facing a very steep fine.

Quote:
But, yes, I see this sort of thing increasing. And the people who advise me to "suck it and buy an additional seat" are neglecting the fact that there are many seats on the airplane that would work for me. People of my height comprise less than 1% of the population. Seats that would actually work for us comprise more than 1% of the total seats. This isn't a particularly difficult problem to solve.
Oh please. Are you saying that a seat with an extra 5-6" of leg room won't work? I call BS.

Quote:
I look at it like handicapped spaces -- the guy with one leg gets the spot near the store entrance. That's what a decent society does.
Unbelievable comparing yourself to someone with a handicap.

Quote:
I get the better seats on the airplane, but only because I book most flights so far in advance that it's a foregone conclusion. Furthermore, the airline employee always (and I mean ALWAYS) offers to waive the premium seat fee for me. I don't have to ask, and I wouldn't anyway. I have a feeling that their legal department doesn't want the freakishly tall charged extra. Otherwise, they might one day have to reserve a seat for people like me. And then other people would start demanding these seats for the same reason they demand a handicapped placard or a service animal bib for their dog.

Most people are great. Some people are awful. That's just how it is.
If an obese person needs to buy extra space, why shouldn't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel