Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 11:11 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
I'm serious.

Let's assume you are travelling to NYC and you stop a local to start a conversation because you want to know more about NYC. Do you think the local is in the mood? People in NYC don't even smile at strangers.

Seattle isn't much better. Very few locals are interested in having an in-depth conversation with a tourist unless the the tourist a very attractive young lady.
I think that this is a good point.

I've lived the vast majority of my life in and around "tourist meccas" in the US-- the only times I can recall having anything remotely resembling an "in-depth" conversation with a non-local is when sitting at a bar or maybe on a bus.

This is primarily due to the fact that when I'm out and about, I'm generally not interested in teaching some random stranger about local culture.

From my experience, I don't think that this mindset is limited to me, or to those in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 11:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
The visit to Japan made me believe diversity in demographics is actually a very bad thing. If diversity were suddenly introduced to Japan, it would collapse.
I felt the same way when in Sweden and Finland. Love low crime respectful places and wish the US was more like them, but we are a very stressed out mess now. Going to places like Paris, London, Edinburg and more was no doubt a life changer for me and made me realize there are a lot of wonderful places in the world. Going to Greece was fun, but I wasn't into their overall culture. Not a fan of most southern places in general. Travel is great for you.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:12 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Let's assume you are travelling to NYC and you stop a local to start a conversation because you want to know more about NYC. Do you think the local is in the mood? People in NYC don't even smile at strangers.
It's much better to know some people who live in the area if you're interested in having an in-depth conversation with a local.

Striking it up with a complete stranger doesn't usually work, unless they're a tour guide or something.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:16 PM

733 posts, read 602,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I think that this is a good point.

I've lived the vast majority of my life in and around "tourist meccas" in the US-- the only times I can recall having anything remotely resembling an "in-depth" conversation with a non-local is when sitting at a bar or maybe on a bus.

This is primarily due to the fact that when I'm out and about, I'm generally not interested in teaching some random stranger about local culture.

From my experience, I don't think that this mindset is limited to me, or to those in the US.
Definitely, this mindset is ubiquitous in most big cities and tourist destinations.

There are some exceptions, lonely retirees are more inclined to talk to strangers.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:50 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In my experience, it's not quite so simple. If you don't speak the local language of the particular country you're traveling in, some people will always roll their eyes and make fun of you for that. That's just the way humans are almost everywhere. Just try traveling in any country where you don't know the language that well.

Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal though. You will still get by.
That's not my experience at all. I don't speak a word of French, but had a blast in Paris. I got invited to parties and met lots of warm, friendly people. Of course, I play guitar and know a couple hours of songs off the top of my head. Music is an international language. All I had to do was borrow and instrument.

In Germany I was having dinner at a vineyard in the countryside, when I saw an elderly man taking a group photo of his family. It wasn't right. He needed to be in the shot with his family, so I walked up to him, signed for him to get into the picture, and took three shots. On the third shot I moved people closer together so it would be a better picture. When I handed the camera back to him he said something in German, and I just looked at him blankly. We had been "conversing" for five minutes without words. A friend who spoke German leaped in and explained that I was just an American tourist who didn't speak German. Gramps personally came by our table to pour a glass of special vintage wine. My friend was astonished. He said that never happens.

I learned when studying ASL that deaf people are the world's greatest tourists. They don't speak the language anywhere, so they learn people skills that most of us lack. Language is a filter that, in many ways, shields us from reality. We have a name for a thing, so we think we understand that thing. Everyone should turn off their language from time to time and engage reality directly.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:13 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Yes, travel is enlightening. To quote Mark Twain, " Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow mindedness ! So true.

Totally agree with this.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:46 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post

You don't change as a person from a short travel, let alone to a foreign country where you don't speak a lick of the local language. You need to fully immerse yourself in a prolonged amount of time in order for that experience to change you in a meaningful way. Even then, maybe not. And that's ok. Not everything should have a reason. I think there should be more people who travel for no other reason than for the fun of it.
You would be amazed what some baiju will do in China, some tej in Ethiopia, and don't get me started about vodka in Russia. Liquor is the great enabler and translator, and it's amazing how well you can communicate when you stop being so self conscious about it and loosen up.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:02 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

My grandfather never left his farm in Winona County, MN, and you couldn't sway him otherwise!

"This is the most beautiful part of the world!"
And I bet he was a wonderful man!

Different life experiences changes a person.

I like to travel and experience different Cultures, abroad and domestically. Sure it has made me appreciate where I live and what I have, but probably no more than the grandfather above who was very happy in his most beautiful part of the world in Minnesota
I think if one is happy with what they have, that is the most important thing in life.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:28 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Traveling can badly disrupt your exercise and sleep habits and it's often difficult to eat the most nutritious and healthy foods. So I don't do any of it. My strength and health are more important to me, than seeing other places where their quality of life is lower than my hometown, which is the best in the world.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:07 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,051,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Traveling can badly disrupt your exercise and sleep habits and it's often difficult to eat the most nutritious and healthy foods. So I don't do any of it. My strength and health are more important to me, than seeing other places where their quality of life is lower than my hometown, which is the best in the world.
Thanks for sharing. Another anti-traveler posting in the travel section. What's in the water these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel