Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:41 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

I find that most people in the world (not just Americans--actually the average guy in the world) live in mirrored bubbles. When they think they're looking outward, they perceive it as the place they are. As George Bernard Shaw put it, they think the traditions of their own tribe are laws of nature. If someone else is doing something differently, they're just wrong. And probably evil.

Extensive travel--spending enough time with people of another culture to get a glimpse of how they see the world--turns that bubble from a mirror to clear glass.

It doesn't mean you necessarily understand their viewpoint, and it certainly doesn't mean you necessarily accept their viewpoint, but at least you know they have a different viewpoint--and from where they're sitting, their viewpoint is reasonable and "works for them."

That way you're not surprised when they don't react to things as you'd react, and while you may not know how they'll react, at least you're not expecting them to act as you would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 12:59 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Isn't broadening your horizons, changing you as a person?
It makes you more knowledgeable. However, I doubt that it changes you all that much.

In many Asian countries, there is a culture of almost God-like worship of elderly people and other authority figures. They are considered to be faultless. While this is interesting to know, how does it benefit you in any practical way when that is not the culture in your own country?

Old 07-07-2016, 01:16 PM

733 posts, read 602,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It makes you more knowledgeable. However, I doubt that it changes you all that much.

In many Asian countries, there is a culture of almost God-like worship of elderly people and other authority figures. They are considered to be faultless. While this is interesting to know, how does it benefit you in any practical way when that is not the culture in your own country?
I think you should immense yourself in Asia for a couple of years. Travel isn't enough.

There's no old man worship culture in major Asian countries. In Japan they show respect to elders but nobody worship them. The idols in Japan are mostly cute girls around 20.

In Korea, you are not supposed to argue with elderly people but again no worship of any kind. Koreans will complain privately, avoiding confrontation.

China is incredibly open minded. No worship of any kind, most people are quite cynical about everything.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:06 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:

Worship? No.

Respect? Definitely.

I think it's something that American society needs more of.

If you don't think that being more educated (not just in a schoolbook sense) and more knowledgeable changes you much then there's nothing to tell you.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:16 PM

679 posts, read 811,827 times
I made a trip out west with my family when I was 14. It changed my perspective so much, I couldn't wait to leave KY and move out west.

Traveling the USA is amazing. You can start off on the east coast, cross the Mississippi, the plains, the Rockies, Great Basin, and finally the Cascades and you're at the Pacific Ocean. Crossing the continent in a few days when it took out ancestors months of walking or riding in a wagon is amazing.

I still travel for fun as much as I can. A good road trip with my lady and a box of 80's metal CDs is a great time.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:46 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Worship? No.

Respect? Definitely.

I think it's something that American society needs more of.

If you don't think that being more educated (not just in a schoolbook sense) and more knowledgeable changes you much then there's nothing to tell you.
There's an argument to be made that knowledge can good for its own sake, and I certainly believe that.

However, some kinds of knowledge will inevitably test your comfort zone know matter who you are.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:54 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, I only eat at local, non-chain places. Home-cooked food is even better.

If you don't at least do that, then what's the point?
You get to talk to the folks in the local joints. McD's. teaches their staff to throw the food at you.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Travel is part of the collective life experiences that made me, me. I would be a much different person if I had never traveled! I could natter on about this forever but I will try to just list a few high points!

1) It taught me that people everywhere are more similar than different.
2) I learned to appreciate history and old things.
3) I learned to appreciate art and music.
4) I learned to love fine food and wine.
5) I learned there was nothing better than McDonald's when you get home from a long trip.
6) I can survive and do just fine anywhere in the world. I am capable and competent.
7) I learned to appreciate the good things I had taken for granted in the US.
8) Real cheese, real butter, and bread with flavor and texture.
9) Real pizza in Italy is nothing like pizza in the US.
10) I learned different is a good thing to experience. I would never again be satisfied with the same old thing.

So yes, it changed the rest of my life. I had to work harder so I could travel more!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
All this talk about spending time with locals when traveling, it always forgets to include one important thing: language barrier. When you and the locals can only talk with tarzan language (me tarzan, you jane), how meaningful do you expect that conversation to get anyway? And to claim such conversation can lead to mind changing and life altering experience is utter BS and pure snobbery.

You don't change as a person from a short travel, let alone to a foreign country where you don't speak a lick of the local language. You need to fully immerse yourself in a prolonged amount of time in order for that experience to change you in a meaningful way. Even then, maybe not. And that's ok. Not everything should have a reason. I think there should be more people who travel for no other reason than for the fun of it.
Learning a second language is not that difficult. When I was planning an extended trip to Europe I decided to brush up on my decades-old high school Spanish. I signed to tutor English as a second language at a local CC, and worked out a deal with some of the students. We would get together in the evenings and for half an hour we would speak nothing but English, then for the second half hour speak nothing but Spanish. That was educational in more ways than one, since half of them were illegals that broke the stereotypes. Three of them were college graduates, one with a degree in biochemistry, one with a degree in history and one with a degree in art history. They were intelligent, honest people, but couldn't get a visa. Word got around and before I knew it our sessions were attended by 10 or 15 people. When I got to Spain, traveling by myself, if I wanted to talk to someone I had to speak Spanish. I had a great time. One party was a Portugese winery owner with a Jeroboam of his product, two Spaniards and me. I had the corkscrew.

I also took classes in Norwegian and American Sign Language. The ASL was surprisingly helpful. I was even able to crack jokes in sign. Norwegian was fun, but there aren't that many Norwegians. One ancient old guy buttonholed me for hours telling stories, of which I only understood half, but he introduced me to some interesting food.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:06 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Travel is part of the collective life experiences that made me, me. I would be a much different person if I had never traveled! I could natter on about this forever but I will try to just list a few high points!

1) It taught me that people everywhere are more similar than different.
2) I learned to appreciate history and old things.
3) I learned to appreciate art and music.
4) I learned to love fine food and wine.
5) I learned there was nothing better than McDonald's when you get home from a long trip.
6) I can survive and do just fine anywhere in the world. I am capable and competent.
7) I learned to appreciate the good things I had taken for granted in the US.
8) Real cheese, real butter, and bread with flavor and texture.
9) Real pizza in Italy is nothing like pizza in the US.
10) I learned different is a good thing to experience. I would never again be satisfied with the same old thing.

So yes, it changed the rest of my life. I had to work harder so I could travel more!

Best post in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel