Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:35 PM

733 posts, read 603,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Traveling can badly disrupt your exercise and sleep habits and it's often difficult to eat the most nutritious and healthy foods. So I don't do any of it. My strength and health are more important to me, than seeing other places where their quality of life is lower than my hometown, which is the best in the world.
I've been to Eugene, the omelette wasn't very tasty but the portion was big. It was a diner near university of Oregon campus. Eugene isn't even the best in PNW.

Assuming your hometown is Eugene, you should at least visit the most beautiful city in the world - Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 11:53 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,110 times
When we first visited Jamaica I came home amazed and talking about Jamaican Police standing on the streets with what looked like automatic weapons. 15 years later guess where I see that.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:19 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I definitely think that travel at the least can offer a wider range of views and experiences.

I have sat with native Chinese and listened to them question why I would think Tibet is NOT part of China.

I have visited Dachau and the Anne Frank house and came to better understand the horrors of war.

I find a different perspective on the history of people visiting ancient dolmans in Ireland, Clava Cairns in Scotland or Stonehenge in England. Even visiting man made sites like the Parthenon in Rome, the Acropolis in Athens or the Library of Celsus in Turkey allows me to reflect on the ability to mankind to create great things.
Pantheon ("all gods"). The Parthenon ("temple of the virgin") is in Athens, on the Acropolis.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:41 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,141,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
How are you different today because of your past travel experiences? Did it change the way you think, speak, dress, eat, etc.?

How would you be different today if you had not done much traveling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If it doesn't, you didn't do it right.
I agree with this ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
It always makes me realize how much Houston sucks.
And I agree with this! Lived in Houston for a decade. We are now expats in the Neherlands for a few years. We will return to Houston after this and I'm dreading it!!

Old 07-09-2016, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I agree with this ^^^^

And I agree with this! Lived in Houston for a decade. We are now expats in the Neherlands for a few years. We will return to Houston after this and I'm dreading it!!
What's wrong with Houston?

Old 07-09-2016, 05:17 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,141,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
What's wrong with Houston?
I'm just tired of it. I hate the heat and humidity. Has great a great food scene, and is an international city. But I feel like it lacks that 'wow' vibe. I travel around quite a bit both for vacation and looking for places to eventually retire to. And I just never look forward to coming back to Houston. As long as my husband is in the oil and gas industry, it will be our home base.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I'm just tired of it. I hate the heat and humidity. Has great a great food scene, and is an international city. But I feel like it lacks that 'wow' vibe. I travel around quite a bit both for vacation and looking for places to eventually retire to. And I just never look forward to coming back to Houston. As long as my husband is in the oil and gas industry, it will be our home base.
Houston isn't a fancy place to visit, but it's a nice city to live. Northwest Houston is undergoing tremendous changes, it's thriving.
However, oil and gas industry employees probably have to commute to the less desirable neighborhoods in Houston.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:21 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Pantheon ("all gods"). The Parthenon ("temple of the virgin") is in Athens, on the Acropolis.
I was going to mention this too, but then I figured I'd just let it slide. :-)

Old 07-09-2016, 09:52 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's not my experience at all. I don't speak a word of French, but had a blast in Paris. I got invited to parties and met lots of warm, friendly people. Of course, I play guitar and know a couple hours of songs off the top of my head. Music is an international language. All I had to do was borrow and instrument.
Playing music can have the effect of breaking the ice in a lot of situations. But honestly, when it comes to everyday conversation, language is often a barrier.

The attitude is the same right here in America: "Learn to speak English, idiot, or go back where you came from." That's the way it is in America and that's the way it is everywhere. Like I said, it's human nature.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:16 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I was going to mention this too, but then I figured I'd just let it slide. :-)
+1. Having visited both I thought about it too but what the heck, let it go was my thought. And it is easy to write one instead of the other when they are so closely spelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel