Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 10:30 AM

86 posts, read 82,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
How are you different today because of your past travel experiences? Did it change the way you think, speak, dress, eat, etc.?

How would you be different today if you had not done much traveling?
Definitely in that I feel like I have a different approach due to traveling. I agree that I definitely appreciate living here in the US after traveling to other places. I don't think I dress differently but think with an open mind and have more compassion and understanding for other cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 10:32 AM

733 posts, read 603,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
It always makes me realize how much Houston sucks.
Try Detroit, Buffalo, Newark and you'll appreciate how vibrant Houston is.

If you can't travel that far, at least you can make it to Beaumont/Port Arthur. You'll realize Houston is a truly world-class city!

Old 07-06-2016, 01:26 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Travel can be very fun, interesting, and worthwhile. But no, it does not fundamentally change who you are. That's a lot of nonsense if anyone says that.

I lived in Moscow for a bit. It was cool to speak a foreign language every day, see how our cultures are different, and see what it's like to be an outsider kinda. Didn't change my beliefs, didn't change anything about my style. I just took more interest in the culture and perfected my language skills. Definitely cool, but I can't sit here and claim that it changed my life really.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:43 PM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Travel can be very fun, interesting, and worthwhile. But no, it does not fundamentally change who you are. That's a lot of nonsense if anyone says that.

I lived in Moscow for a bit. It was cool to speak a foreign language every day, see how our cultures are different, and see what it's like to be an outsider kinda. Didn't change my beliefs, didn't change anything about my style. I just took more interest in the culture and perfected my language skills. Definitely cool, but I can't sit here and claim that it changed my life really.
Maybe it's partly because, as Americans, we already live in one of the richest countries in the world. As a result, we are not as motivated even subconsciously to change ourselves when staying in a foreign country. I mean, of what practical benefit would it be for most Americans to learn to speak Russian fluently?

However, imagine if America was a poor 3rd world country and Russia was a rich country. Then things might be very different.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:13 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Quote:
I understand how traveling can be educational and fun.

But what I'm getting at is - how has traveling changed your life in a profound and permanent way? Did it change your religious beliefs? Did it change how you work, how you spend your money, what your main hobbies are or how you go about your daily life? Those kinds of things.

I have enjoyed traveling to countries in Europe and Asia. So, I'm not saying it's a waste of time. However, I can't think of anything in my experiences that really changed me as a person. I didn't find myself in my travels. Maybe I just don't get it. :-)
You don't think being educated changed you in any way?

Life-changing means different things to different people but all I know is that traveling helped shaped my opinions/perspective on things in my life.

I see how people in 3rd-world countries love and appreciate my life and support our social programs more.

I gaze at the Grand Canyon and reflect on how insignificant my problems must be in the scheme of things.

I see that the US is among the best but is definitely not the best country to live in. My mind has to continually evaluate on why things are the way they are and why we do things differently than the rest of the world.

I continually scout for places outside of the US that are ideal for me to retire to.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:55 PM

22,212 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
.But what I'm getting at is - how has traveling changed your life in a profound and permanent way? Did it change your religious beliefs? Did it change how you work, how you spend your money, what your main hobbies are or how you go about your daily life? Those kinds of things.
yes it changed me in a permanent and profound way,
and it changed how i spend money and live my life.

i now live in a much smaller simpler place, so I can save money to travel. Before traveling, i considered travel expensive and pointless and nothing to show for it after the trip is over, nothing tangible, nothing physical, only those things had value or worth to me, so i would rather spend money on my house and furniture and buying stuff.

the profound and permanent change is a complete reversal of that. The less I own the better, i live as inexpensively as possible, small studio apartment, only live in areas with low cost of living, so that even on my very modest income I can save money and travel every few years.

the places i have traveled to have always been in direct relation to my spiritual state: from when I first started traveling it was beauty of nature (Canadian Rockies), then "New Age" (Peru), then shamanic (Scotland), to where i am now religious (Ukraine, Israel).

Nowadays all travel is related to sites related to my religion.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
So, the takeaway from this discussion is that you will probably not experience much that is life-changing unless you actually go live in a foreign country for a long period of time instead of just traveling there. And especially if you learn the language, change your career and marry among the locals. I tend to agree that's what it would take.

Having said that, it still amazes me how little some people change even after they live in a foreign country for years or even decades. I know Americans who have lived in countries like Norway, Italy and Germany for 20+ years and whenever I talk with them they seem as American as apple pie. Of course, you see the same thing with many immigrants who settle in America as well.

I agree with jazzcat22 that there seems to be some default traits about most people that are established when they are very young that are hard to change no matter where they go or live.
Um, well, those countries aren't much different than the USA, that's why.

Try Cambodia or Bangladesh.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:21 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,165,481 times
Quote:
How are you different today because of your past travel experiences?
I came to realize that, contrary to what I'd been told, yankees aren't rude - they simply communicate differently than those of us who grew up down here in God's country.

Quote:
Did it change the way you think, speak, dress, eat, etc.?
No, but it did teach me some new words and a couple of new dishes. It made me even more thankful for where I was born, raised, and where and how I live.

Quote:
How would you be different today if you had not done much traveling?
I would have fewer stories to tell, fewer fond memories, and a different career field.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:02 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
A trip to Paris changed my life. I went there 'just because', you know, since Paris is one of those places everyone loves (or hates). Afterward, I've become a complete Francophile and am now learning French. I even tried to get a job in northern Vermont, Maine or New York so I could spend lots of time time working on/enjoying French stuff by visiting French Canada frequently, but it didn't work out (lousy pay in that part of the country for my line of work). I cook French food now, download French music, follow French-language businesses and people on twitter, decorated my kitchen in french style. Yup, life changed.

Now if only I could meet a Frenchman...

Bon jour, ciel turquoise,
J'espère que vous êtes une femme, parce-que je suis un Anglais, mais je parle Français.
J'aime bien Paris aussi, la plus belle cité de monde.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:06 PM

733 posts, read 603,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Um, well, those countries aren't much different than the USA, that's why.

Try Cambodia or Bangladesh.
Adults do not change easily. Immigrants in the U.S from Cambodia, Bangladesh do not change fundamentally either.

Kids are different, they will be assimilated pretty fast. If you started living in another country after 25, the chances are you will never be fluent in their language.

Italy is very different from the U.S. If you believe Italy isn't much different from the U.S, Japan is probably no different from Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel