Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 08:17 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,404,756 times

Advertisements

My bigger concern is the airport experience, as compared to the airplane itself. Getting from the door of your car (or taxi etc) to the door of the airplane would entail passing within 6 feet of hundreds, if not thousands, of other humans. Getting from the door of your plane to the door of the taxi on the other side is a little better as you won't have check-in and security, but maybe it's only a few thousand people instead of ten thousand people.

The problem is probably less pronounced right now due to fewer people flying, but from some pictures I've seen in the media recently of long lines at TSA etc, it just doesn't seem like a risk worth taking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
If you won't fly, then I assume you also aren't going to work, to church, shopping, etc. That's ok - I'm just making the point - the risk is the same.
There are 20 people at my office built for 200. The grocery store only lets in 50 at a time, for a store built for occupancy of hundreds and hundreds of people. Orders of magnitude fewer people than a hub airport, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 08:25 AM

793 posts, read 332,182 times
I am flying next month and I wonder how busy it will be. I'm choosing to fly out of DFW because it will be direct instead of having to change planes as I typically have to do flying out of a smaller market. The biggest risk for me is driving there (3 hour drive) and parking in an unfamiliar airport and then going through TSA. That's way more nerve wracking than the actual flying.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:37 AM

4,028 posts, read 1,883,781 times
within 6 feet of hundreds, if not thousands,

Not the case at all. Very few folks in airports right now. Fewer than the grocery store, mostly.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:55 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,785,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I will not travel by airplane until an effective vaccine exists.
Effective at what percent? Fauci says he would be happy if 50-70% effective.

If/when that happens, people will probably not be required to wear masks onboard anymore, or have middle seat vacant.

So, if vaccine doesn't work for you then perhaps a decent chance of catching the bug anyway.

It seems that a risk will remain for awhile, so you may not be traveling for quite some time.

For me, I am OK with traveling right now.

Old 08-21-2020, 02:30 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,955,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I will not travel by airplane until an effective vaccine exists.

Thank you. People not flying because of COVID will make my time in the airport and in the plane much more pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Atlguy View Post
I am flying next month and I wonder how busy it will be. I'm choosing to fly out of DFW because it will be direct instead of having to change planes as I typically have to do flying out of a smaller market. The biggest risk for me is driving there (3 hour drive) and parking in an unfamiliar airport and then going through TSA. That's way more nerve wracking than the actual flying.

Yeah I imagine the driving part is going to be the most dangerous part, and it probably isn't even close.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:36 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,719,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

If/when that happens, people will probably not be required to wear masks onboard anymore, or have middle seat vacant.

So, if vaccine doesn't work for you then perhaps a decent chance of catching the bug anyway.

It seems that a risk will remain for awhile, so you may not be traveling for quite some time.

50% effective will slow down the pandemic significantly.

Personally, I am willing to take the chance if the travel is essential. But for leisure travel, I can definitely wait.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:04 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,998,810 times
I flew w/ my kid cross country this summer--no better time to fly. Everyone wore masks. Delta did a phenomenal job and the planes were 1/2 empty. When I realized that, I booked the back of the plane instead of ComfortPlus. Comfort and first class were full (minus center seats which were left empty), but we had the last ten rows to ourselves. We don't have pre-existing conditions so I warrant our anxiety level is low regarding the virus. We flew without hesitation and the changeable tickets were a big incentive.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:43 PM

163 posts, read 87,044 times
My son recently flew from Minneapolis to Chicago and then from Chicago to Philadelphia. He had a great experience. Planes were about half empty so everyone was spaced out very nicely. No problems boarding and people were very courteous to one another. Everyone kept their masks on.

I think the people who are afraid to fly right now because of the virus are the same ones you see driving down the street in their car with their windows rolled up and fully masked. Like the virus is out there hanging in the open air.

Old 08-22-2020, 07:32 AM

14,410 posts, read 14,329,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

Fauci is estimating a 70% effectiveness rate. The virus does not appear to mutate rapidly. Therefore, the odds of having a reasonably effective vaccine are good.

I am also hoping it will be like the influenza vaccine in the sense that even if it does not prevent the disease it will lessen symptoms.

I will fly when they estimate effectiveness at 70% or more.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:20 AM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...maV?li=BBnb7Kz

I don't know how accurate this is, but it makes for an o po optimistic read.
I cannot see how this is accurate.

The thing is whenever I read about someone who had caught the virus. They almost universally do not know exactly where they caught it. And all the asymptomatic people who have never been tested. Add to that the lack of contract tracing in this country.

It could be safe but I don't believe we have the ability to know that for certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel