Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 08:07 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,517,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Take some Ramen! Eat once / day... Food cost is outrageous in Iceland. Be prepared, take swimwear for hot pools, have a good time
A big part of traveling is to enjoy the local food and eat things that are new. I am all for being frugal at home but when on vacation you should enjoy the food. Often it’s a once in a lifetime experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
I have 2 residences in Europe, tell me what you like and want to experience, and I'll tell you where to go. I have been everywhere in Europe, and unless you're on some kind of central european tour, why those cities? Branch out a bit, plane rides between cities are cheap.
I used to do independent travel but now being older I prefer tours. Those cities are specifically all the places I want to go and luckily found a tour that goes to all of them.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
A big part of traveling is to enjoy the local food and eat things that are new. I am all for being frugal at home but when on vacation you should enjoy the food. Often it’s a once in a lifetime experience.
Certainly, just be prepared to pay in Iceland. (For those not financially able, or prepared specifically for the cost of meals there often must resort to eating once / day)

Old 02-11-2023, 02:49 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
Quote:
A big part of traveling is to enjoy the local food and eat things that are new.
I guess you could do both, bring some cheapo meals and try local fare. It isn't like Iceland is some culinary bucket list mecca like France or Italy.

Personally I've never brought meals like that anywhere, it would take up way too much space the backpack. We have brought seasoning envelopes (taco, sloppy joe, etc.) to have a taste of home when we're going to be somewhere a long time and not sure we can find that type of stuff locally, but those are pretty thin.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:12 PM

537 posts, read 443,957 times
I've been to Europe a couple of dozen times, and we've actually lost count. Started going in 1970.

We used to travel as far and fast as we could in 2 weeks and 3 weekends. Italian gasoline @ $10.00 a U.S. gallon opened our eyes to traveling slowly. We now stay in one city for 5-7 days with a rental car taking day trips out of there.

We usually go a couple of times per year, however my wife has had terrible back surgery and is not very mobile. We did make Berlin and Dresden a year ago. We visited London, Athens and a cruise of the Greek Islands and Adriatic ending in Italy. She has a personal scooter that's faster than me and it has a 10 mile range.

We've also taken a couple of repositioning cruises in the past--ending in Italy and Southampton. Great bang for the buck if you've got the time.

Our favorite new city is Budapest, and it's a very interesting and economical place to travel.

We intend to stay out of big expensive European cities and countries in the future. We really liked our trip to Spain prior to the pandemic, and we'll be back visiting inland Spain mainly. (We don't care for the coastal Meditterean.)
Unfortunately we'll never see Russia again as the palaces and museums are just so incredible.

Our next family trip will be Budapest for a week and then head to Slovenia Croatia and Montenegro. 2023 will be an off year for us, but I'm going to Israel on a mission work trip in 4 weeks from now.

Old 02-11-2023, 08:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
I’m married to a picky eater. For either foreign or domestic, I’ll typically throw a jar or two of almond butter and some reusable plastic flatware into my suitcase and there will be a stops at local grocery stores to pick up some bread and snacks so we can do a sandwich meal for the times when we’ll be out hiking through lunch time or if we just don’t have the energy to hunt down a dinner that meets his sometimes narrow dietary parameters.

Eating like a local can often be grabbing a rotisserie chicken and a few things that can be side dishes out of an Edeka or Asta or Migros grocery store and having a picnic lunch out of it. (The store brand of chocolate bars in Switzerland can be really good and one of the few cheap things in that country.)

Old 02-11-2023, 08:15 PM

The hotels we stay at have breakfast included and then we eat dinner out. I never eat 3 meals a day because it’s too much food. I consider eating out just part of the vacation budget. I do throw some granola bars in my luggage so I have a snack handy for when I want one.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:47 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Does anyone have travel plans to Europe? I have decided to complete my bucket list in the next 2 years. In April I am going on a tour that includes Zurich, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna and Prague. I had one planned for during the pandemic which didn’t happen of course. Then in fall 2024 I am taking a tour of France. I have been to Europe 5xs and these trips will complete my must do list. Another of my good friends died 2 weeks ago and it really hit home that as one gets closer to 70 life can be short.
I'm working on a Christmas Market tour to Germany, for 2023.

Quote:
The hotels we stay at have breakfast included and then we eat dinner out. I never eat 3 meals a day because it’s too much food. I consider eating out just part of the vacation budget. I do throw some granola bars in my luggage so I have a snack handy for when I want one.
Food is the least of my concerns. One can always find a shop of some sort, to buy something to eat. I don't even concern myself with the meals thing.

Old 02-14-2023, 03:53 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
Our favorite new city is Budapest, and it's a very interesting and economical place to travel.
Budapest is, if not my favorite city in Europe, certainly my second favorite (neck and neck with Gdansk). So much to do there and it is so reasonable. Airbnb's there are remarkably cheap and we've had really good luck with them.

Old 02-16-2023, 05:06 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
I am looking into Rome for this year. My Old Lady and I are looking at May this year. For years, we talked about Paris, and now finally we have the ways and means to travel without the adult children at home. Then, last December, she decided that she wants to go to Rome instead.
SO Rome it is.

Never been to Europe, and not really a fan of pasta or pizza but I will do whatever she wants. Her choice and her plans. This year is our 25th year anniversary so we should do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel