Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 04:19 AM

2,302 posts, read 1,524,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
COVID disrupted an lot of international routes. I have to find 'other' carriers and destination/ connections than in pre-covid days. Often requiring extra layovers. Carbon taxes will further curtail options, so get used to it. As a retiree I don't need to be home by a particular time or route. That's a plus.
Yes, fares probably will not return to the levels of the pre Covid days. I accept that but I will not make the journey if there are too many transit stops. We have preferred in the past to make a two or three day stop over when travelling to Europe. But have stayed so many times in Singapore, Hong Kong and Dubai that we prefer not to do so now.

We fly economy and when the trip is more than twenty-five hours it is pretty tiresome. Especially when there are even longer delays, such as the current one with Qantas having to divert its London flight to Baku, Azerbaijan and adding about a day to the trip.

We are retirees too but actually have a lot of commitments at home and certainly prefer to keep to a schedule. You apparently travel a great deal and are happy to be flexible. Which would add to your enjoyment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 10:10 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,634,684 times
Does anyone know why poster is no longer a member ? I found his posts interesting. I looked at his profile and it looks like his last post was today. I was just curious. Thx for any reply.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:44 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm seriously debating going to Paris for my bday in May. Direct flight from Denver. Bucket list
I'm trying for May or June, it's a graduation present for my grandson who is graduating University of Alabama then off to law school.

He has been to Paris when he was on a study group in London through the University and would love to revisit and being he is also a history buff throw in Normandy as well.

I just about have everything worked out as far as places to stay, it's the airfare that is making me crazy, even carriers like Tap Portugal and Iceland Air that used to have decent pricing are high.

Living in Savannah it's difficult because even though they call themselves an international airport they are not.
So looking from Atlanta, Jacksonville FL, Charlotte NC even Newark the only decent fare I've found is on Aer Lingus connecting in Dublin.

Now I see an airline, French Bee that flies from Newark into Orly, I've never heard of them so have to check them out

Old 12-27-2022, 08:41 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,900,788 times
Oddly, 2023 is up in the air. We were going to go to Ireland for 2nd spring break, but my wife broke her ankle. Who knows...

2024: biking down the Danube from either Vienna to Budapest or from the German border at Passau to Budapest.
2025: European college tours

Old 12-27-2022, 09:03 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
haven't seen any mention of Sicily, but after binge watching HBO's White Lotus recently it is definitely on my list--most likely in 2024 as I've already planned out most of 2023 but still could be possible to squeeze in.

Old 12-27-2022, 03:02 PM

2,302 posts, read 1,524,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
haven't seen any mention of Sicily, but after binge watching HBO's White Lotus recently it is definitely on my list--most likely in 2024 as I've already planned out most of 2023 but still could be possible to squeeze in.
I wanted to return to Sicily this coming year but my husband (who still has some family there) wants to go to Spain and Morocco. We did think about a few days there on the way back but it would be in October and during the week. At that time of the year the cousins and their partners all are working, their kids are at school and University. Would be inconvenient for them to see us but a shame if we did not meet up. Some other year!

We started watching White Lotus but hated it (other than the scenery) but it reminded us how extremely crowded Taormina can be, especially when cruise ships are in port. It is certainly worth a visit, especially to nearby Castelmola, but the parts away from the hoards of day tourists are more enjoyable.

Old 12-27-2022, 03:04 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
I am spending a bit over 2 weeks in Switzerland in September 2023, first time in Switzerland. Will also be taking a day trip to Liechtenstein from Zurich to pad my country count

Old 12-27-2022, 04:20 PM

130,383 posts, read 12,118,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I wanted to return to Sicily this coming year but my husband (who still has some family there) wants to go to Spain and Morocco. We did think about a few days there on the way back but it would be in October and during the week. At that time of the year the cousins and their partners all are working, their kids are at school and University. Would be inconvenient for them to see us but a shame if we did not meet up. Some other year!

We started watching White Lotus but hated it (other than the scenery) but it reminded us how extremely crowded Taormina can be, especially when cruise ships are in port. It is certainly worth a visit, especially to nearby Castelmola, but the parts away from the hoards of day tourists are more enjoyable.
Some years ago we did a ten day bus tour of Sicily, we both loved it. Lots to see. We went in November & had good weather.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:18 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
We like Sicily a lot, it is touristy like everywhere in the summer but nothing like the zoo that are some of the cities on the boot. Some of our favorite churches are in Palermo.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I am spending a bit over 2 weeks in Switzerland in September 2023, first time in Switzerland. Will also be taking a day trip to Liechtenstein from Zurich to pad my country count
We had a nice lunch in Liechtenstein this year as well as seeing the postage stamp museum.

Yeah Vaduz is kind of a tourist trap, but I can appreciate that this tiny little place has figured out a whole bunch of ways to make it a pleasant and comfortable location for the people who live and work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel