Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 08:40 PM

7,122 posts, read 4,540,768 times

Advertisements

Nj Kate, I would be careful about flying aer lingus from Dublin as last June when I was there they were canceling more flights than other airlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 08:19 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I like Flixbus. They are better than trains in many cases if the trip is not too long. Last time I took Flixbus from Berlin to Amsterdam, I forgot how many hours it took, probably 8 hours. Interestingly, I was planning to take a Flixbus from Berlin to Wroclaw, but a bad thing happened to a relative in a different place which made me very sad that day and did not go.
Have you had problems buying Flixbus tickets with a credit card? Is it possible to buy them at the bus station, or do you have to do it online? (when I travel, I use public wi-fi, and never buy anything online through that kind of internet connection)

Likewise, I'd appreciate it if anyone could comment on buying train tickets with a credit card in Europe (specifically France, Germany & Switzerland), I mean when an American goes to visit Europe - has anyone recently had problems with the credit card not being accepted?

Some years ago, multiple people were complaining that their credit card was not accepted when they tried to use it to buy train tickets in France. I myself was unable to buy online a train ticket in Norway for May 2020 (the trip that needed to be cancelled due to Covid) - it was not accepted by the Norwegian railway website, and I had to buy it through Pay Pal (which I hate because they charge extra fees).

Any other problems using credit card for Americans traveling in Europe? When I travel abroad, I try to carry minimal cash & charge everything to the card - it works without problems everywhere in Asia, but I have not been to Europe in a very, very long time (although I actually grew up in Europe).

Old 12-30-2022, 12:06 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Once you get away from tourist areas, a number of merchants and restaurants in Amsterdam will only take cards with true chip-and-pin technology.

The workaround when I was having problems using an AmEx to buy train tickets in Switzerland in 2019 ended up being to use Apple Pay instead.

Old 12-30-2022, 02:01 PM

7,122 posts, read 4,540,768 times
I have never had a problem with my CC in Europe but I also carry cash.

Old 12-31-2022, 07:50 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Nj Kate, I would be careful about flying aer lingus from Dublin as last June when I was there they were canceling more flights than other airlines.
Thanks! We have decided either UA or Delta from Savannah, whomever has the best price and connection

Old 12-31-2022, 08:47 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
We did have problems with credit cards n Switzerland, we were trying to buy train tickets on the machines in the stations, but it wouldn't accept them, we had to go into the ticket office, where he had a different way to run the card. So I bought a weeks worth of tickets there ( I had an itinerary planned) Also many restaurants & shops were cash only (Switzerland).
We were in Ireland & the UK this past Spring & had no problems with paying by card. Be sure & let your bank know that you are traveling.

Old 01-01-2023, 07:36 PM

474 posts, read 264,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I am sitting here tonight trying to work out acceptable flights to Europe for October. Very frustrating, we want to go into Lisbon, do a tour including Morocco and then fly out of Madrid to Malta. I cannot find decent connections and arrival and departure times. Emirates fly out of Sydney to Dubai at 6am and 9 45pm daily and the night flight is about $500 more expensive. From Malta to home seems to involve a nine hour transit stop in Dubai, which is much too long.

Apparently most of the travel here at the moment is local, I am not the only one struggling with finding flights.
There aren't a lot of options if your last stop before heading home is Malta. Maybe better to bypass it in favor of somewhere else.
Have you tried Turkish via Istanbul? They fly Malta-Istanbul. Then to several S.E. Asian cities, Bangkok, Hanoi, Ho Chi, Jakarta, Manila, Phuket, Seoul, for a connection to Sydney. I'm amazed they don't currently appear to fly to OZ. What's that about....Gallipoli?

Old 01-01-2023, 09:37 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
I heard that Croatia just joined the EU & has free border access & is now using the Euro, nice.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:58 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,522,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey_C_Earwicker View Post
There aren't a lot of options if your last stop before heading home is Malta. Maybe better to bypass it in favor of somewhere else.
Have you tried Turkish via Istanbul? They fly Malta-Istanbul. Then to several S.E. Asian cities, Bangkok, Hanoi, Ho Chi, Jakarta, Manila, Phuket, Seoul, for a connection to Sydney. I'm amazed they don't currently appear to fly to OZ. What's that about....Gallipoli?
Actually we sorted it out and booked with a travel agent. Same price and they seem to be able to bring up the flight times we want.
So Sydney to Lisbon with a stop in Dubai to change planes. Madrid to Malta on Air Malta, separately ticketed. Malta to Sydney with a transit stop in Cyprus and flight change in Dubai. Emirates, other than the Air Malta segment.
I think that no European airlines fly to Australia anymore except for British Airways. All flights are codeshare. I gather it is because of the cost of the fuel and not enough profit.

Old 01-02-2023, 08:30 AM

474 posts, read 264,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Actually we sorted it out and booked with a travel agent. Same price and they seem to be able to bring up the flight times we want.
So Sydney to Lisbon with a stop in Dubai to change planes. Madrid to Malta on Air Malta, separately ticketed. Malta to Sydney with a transit stop in Cyprus and flight change in Dubai. Emirates, other than the Air Malta segment.
I think that no European airlines fly to Australia anymore except for British Airways. All flights are codeshare. I gather it is because of the cost of the fuel and not enough profit.
Hadn't realized that. Turkish advertises that it flies to more countries (not destinations) than any other airline. My brother who flies a lot says they are ok...just. When you think about it, the S.E. Asian countries are 5-6 hours closer to Europe with a lotttt more people. That makes Jakarta-Istanbul direct viable, but not Sydney. I've always wondered about the economics of Emirates and to a lesser degree Etihad. I presume they are heavily subsidized. They fly to a lot of secondary destinations. If the subsidies run out.....
If you're not going to the UK, your options to Europe are quite limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel