Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 02:13 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
I had a friend who went to London for a week. She hated the food so much, she lived on tea and toast for the week. She was starving when she got back!

I asked her why she didn't go to McDonald's, they're all over London. She said she tried McD's once, didn't taste the same.
If only London had a lot of international cuisine and international food markets.

The Most Popular International Foods in London and Where To Find Them - Devour

As for US fast food, the UK has the following US fast food chains -

McDonald's
Subway
Starbucks
KFC
Burger King
Pizza Hut
Domino's
Dunkin'
Krispy Kreme
Taco Bell
Wendy’s
Baskin Robbins
Papa John's Pizza
Little Caesars
Carl's Jr (Opening Soon)
Popeyes
Chipotle Mexican Grill
Auntie Anne's
Wingstop
Cinnabon
Five Guys
Quiznos
Häagen-Dazs
Sbarro
Boost Juice
Shake Shack
Smashburger
Slim Chickens
Denny's
Nathan's Famous

You also get some US companies that only open Central London restaurants in order to target the tourist trade, and these include the likes of Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. and P.F. Chang's etc.

There are also lots of non-American chains from Jollibee to Tim Hortons (Canada), Nandos through to Australian, Korea and Japanese chains, as well as home grown chains such as Pret, Costa, Caffè Nero, LEON, Wagamama, itsu, Yo Sushi, Wasabi, Pho Restaurants, Comptoir Libanais, Giggling Squid, Rosa's Thai restaurants, Thaikhun, Mowgli, Chaiiwala, Pho Cafe, Chennai Dosa, Dishoom, Camile Thai, Wahaca, Tortilla, Barburrito, Chiquito, Turtle Bay etc etc.

There are even French chains such as Café Rouge, Côte Restaurants - French Brasseries or Bistrot Pierre, whilst there are numerous steak chains such as Miller & Carter, Flat Iron, Hawksmoor, Gaucho etc and there are Chinatowns, Curry miles, traditional Italian, French, Greek, Turkish, Lebanese/Middle Eastern areas and numerous other ethnic areas

There are also numerous US style restaurants in London including a lot of US style BBQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2MtD0SACPk

The idea that someone needs to stave in any major British city because they don't like the highly stereotyped US view of British cuisine is simply ridiculous, and this is especially the case in large international major tourist cities such as London.

Finally in terms of diet, I would personally recommend, a low carb diet, and there are plenty of seafood, salad and other options ion the UK, as opposed to fat sugary refined carbs, but that's an individual choice. Whilst in terms of US McDonald's it probably does taste different to US McDonald's, as UK McDonald's have less additives, and many US additives, hormones and modified foods are illegal in the UK and Europe, as well as other parts of the world.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-09-2023 at 03:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 02:26 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Ahhh, careful! Somewhere the war drums are beating and troops are rallying with BraveNewWorld, who is about to show up posting lists of menu items available Michelin Star restaurants in London.

UK food bad you say! What about the amur leopard liver braised in hummingbird zest served with candied Black Sapote served over a bed of pickled Siberian Kale? She didn't bother stopping by the Crooked Tooth in Islington where chef Nigel serves up his signature filet of Addax sprinkled with garlic infused horn of the javan rhinoceros on a plate made of moon rocks collected during the Apollo 11 mission? Clearly she never experienced the true London of the commoner.
Grow Up.

Old 05-09-2023, 05:21 AM

844 posts, read 1,656,710 times
I love great food but some destinations are not known for their cuisine, so I don't expect anything fancy.

Let's say the Midwest, there's nothing good to eat. But the Midwest has nothing to see either. It's the most boring place I've ever been to in the universe.

Or, let's say South Dakota, Black Hills is an interesting place to see but there's nothing great to eat.

Old 05-09-2023, 05:22 AM

844 posts, read 1,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
If only London had a lot of international cuisine and international food markets.

The Most Popular International Foods in London and Where To Find Them - Devour

As for US fast food, the UK has the following US fast food chains -

McDonald's
Subway
Starbucks
KFC
Burger King
Pizza Hut
Domino's
Dunkin'
Krispy Kreme
Taco Bell
Wendy’s
Baskin Robbins
Papa John's Pizza
Little Caesars
Carl's Jr (Opening Soon)
Popeyes
Chipotle Mexican Grill
Auntie Anne's
Wingstop
Cinnabon
Five Guys
Quiznos
Häagen-Dazs
Sbarro
Boost Juice
Shake Shack
Smashburger
Slim Chickens
Denny's
Nathan's Famous

You also get some US companies that only open Central London restaurants in order to target the tourist trade, and these include the likes of Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. and P.F. Chang's etc.

There are also lots of non-American chains from Jollibee to Tim Hortons (Canada), Nandos through to Australian, Korea and Japanese chains, as well as home grown chains such as Pret, Costa, Caffè Nero, LEON, Wagamama, itsu, Yo Sushi, Wasabi, Pho Restaurants, Comptoir Libanais, Giggling Squid, Rosa's Thai restaurants, Thaikhun, Mowgli, Chaiiwala, Pho Cafe, Chennai Dosa, Dishoom, Camile Thai, Wahaca, Tortilla, Barburrito, Chiquito, Turtle Bay etc etc.

There are even French chains such as Café Rouge, Côte Restaurants - French Brasseries or Bistrot Pierre, whilst there are numerous steak chains such as Miller & Carter, Flat Iron, Hawksmoor, Gaucho etc and there are Chinatowns, Curry miles, traditional Italian, French, Greek, Turkish, Lebanese/Middle Eastern areas and numerous other ethnic areas

There are also numerous US style restaurants in London including a lot of US style BBQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2MtD0SACPk

The idea that someone needs to stave in any major British city because they don't like the highly stereotyped US view of British cuisine is simply ridiculous, and this is especially the case in large international major tourist cities such as London.

Finally in terms of diet, I would personally recommend, a low carb diet, and there are plenty of seafood, salad and other options ion the UK, as opposed to fat sugary refined carbs, but that's an individual choice. Whilst in terms of US McDonald's it probably does taste different to US McDonald's, as UK McDonald's have less additives, and many US additives, hormones and modified foods are illegal in the UK and Europe, as well as other parts of the world.
London is really nice!

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the UK, but London is a great global city. It's probably the only place I want to visit in the entire country.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:00 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Let's say the Midwest, there's nothing good to eat.
Kansas City is famous for its barbecue

Old 05-09-2023, 06:53 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggznsauce View Post
And don't knock those that visit foreign places and hit the McDonald's. In my experience other countries have menus that are 100% different. Even the main standards like the Big Mac will have special twists and quality you can't find in the US. Not to mention it's easier to order in English and consistent for a traveler who might not have the time or interest to spend money on something they may not enjoy.

Going to McDonalds while you're abroad to see the different menu items and to experience a different level of quality is one thing. To go to the same McDonalds for 8 days straight and eat nothing but a Big Mac and fries, to the exclusion of even attempting anything else is kind of nuts.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:11 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
One of the little things I like when traveling is getting that warm grin of recognition when I go back to the same place several times. It more than offsets the mediocrity of the food and service. And cuts down on the ordeal and angst of searching for a place that may or may not be better.

Good, bad or indifferent, it's still the same exotic travel experience, and leaves me with the sense I got into the culture a bit more than skin deep. Having a waiter or manager si at my table with me is a treasured honor. Or a house specialty only their regulars know about.

Old 05-09-2023, 10:43 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I like to try local food, or at least foods I've never eaten before, but I wouldn't call myself a foodie.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:17 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
We were foodie travelers years before the internet, Yelp and Google Map reviewers made it so much easier.

Living in a small town in a small state we got to try so many interesting foods on vacay, like sushi when we visited California 40 years ago. What an exciting meal that was. Tried to make a sushi roll when we got home and failed so had to drive 3 hours to nearest large city (out of state) for sushi and tempura.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:48 PM

2,119 posts, read 1,788,050 times
I enjoy watching Tiktok or Youtube videos of people reviewing food at places that I am about to travel to and I will even watch videos of reviews in my home area. I find these videos really helpful because sometimes you'll get someone telling you what the dishes are so you can know if something is out of your comfort zone, some people are good at giving a description of what something tastes like or what the textures are. Some will show you the proper way to eat a dish or explain how to customize something so you know what you should add or avoid. They can help you find dishes or restaurants that you wouldn't know to look for. These type of videos are also helpful in avoiding unintentionally insulting a cuisine.

Also a good rule of thumb is don't eat at a restaurant where there is someone outside pleading for you to eat at their establishment and run if they are offering a free drink or some other incentive or if they boast about having an "American menu. Food at these places are mediocre at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel