Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,219 times

Advertisements

I just moved across the country to Los Angeles for graduate school and I'm dying to go up to northern California (and someday way up into the Pacific Northwest, but small steps..) Problem is, I don't know very many people here yet and I certainly don't know anyone well enough to ask them to go on a trip with me. So I've been considering going alone. I've NEVER traveled alone for more than an airplane ride or two in my life, so I'm a bit nervous about it. I've been looking into bus and train schedules, and considered driving up there myself, but I don't know about that; it's like 16 hours to the Eureka/McKinleyville area where I want to go. And I'm trying to figure out the logistics of it if I don't take my own car - how will I get around, etc. I don't know if I'll actually get up the nerve to do it, but it's kinda fun trying to figure it out and plan it.

All of you solo travelers, I envy you - what great experiences and what a terrific way to really live your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 08:14 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,480 times
I traveled alone once.. and it was probably the best vacation I've ever had. I spent a week in Huntington Beach, California. Went to Hollywood, Pasadena, San Diego, and Tijuana. It was a great trip and I wouldnt mind traveling alone again. Actually I really liked going it alone. I got to do whatever I wanted to do.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:28 PM

152 posts, read 457,441 times
to bad you had to cancel the trip

I have been on a few trips by myself in the last 2 years, longest one was right after i graduated collage and went on a road trip to Alaska. I was gone for 7 weeks and had an absolute blast! being able to go anywhere at anytime with no compromising is something everyone should experience onces in there life.

Its a great freedom to travel by yourself, the first thing i notice was my sense of time and date going out the window. It did not matter what time it was if i was hunger it was time to eat as simple as that. once when i was in homer Alaska i Knew it was Wednesday, just knew it, found out latter it was Saturday I was like how did i lose 3 days

the down side of travel alone is no one to share the place with but thats no reason not to go. just take lots of pictures and share them with people when your back

as for hiking by yourself: I alway do lots of hiking when i travel, if you are by yourself you need to be more careful and be smart about it but it should not be a problem.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:24 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
I've traveled alone before and valued the experience. Obviously one has to be careful, but I'll never, ever forget the thrilling experience of being by myself, the only American and (native) English speaking person on a guided tour of the ice-caves in Austria (the Greek, French, and Swedish tourists, along with me, got an English tour though ... but even if the tour hadn't been in English, the experience would have been worth it).

Just recently I visited a friend in nyc, and like I have many times before, I've had loads of time to myself just wandering around, visiting new parts of the city, etc. I very much enjoyed myself.

However, I have never driven great lengths by myself, that I think I would find it a bit unnerving. I'm much more comfortable with the notion of taking a plane half way around the world or a train across Europe by myself than the thought of driving from Chicago to LA, I don't know why.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:19 PM

283 posts, read 1,384,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
However, I have never driven great lengths by myself, that I think I would find it a bit unnerving. I'm much more comfortable with the notion of taking a plane half way around the world or a train across Europe by myself than the thought of driving from Chicago to LA, I don't know why.
Probably because the drive would be boring as to how the majority of the US is real conservative especially the areas you'd go through. There is sooo much diversity in Europe compare to here.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:24 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,137,024 times
I have traveled alone many times. Im a lone wolf!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:30 AM

131 posts, read 184,102 times
Default alone is interesting!

When i was in my 20's I traveled Europe alone ( I'm a girl) quite a bit. I met the most interesting people that way. I usually hooked up with friend later somewhere, but alone was just fine too. You don't have to worry about someone else's agenda, or if they are having a good time.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:36 PM

578 posts, read 3,062,993 times
I have never travelled alone but I was going to this past summer as I had plans to go surfing on the West Coast, US but it didn't happen for a couple of reasons mainly money but hopefully I will do it next year. Its not weird I know a couple of people that have gone backpacking alone and the friends they have met along the way and the stories they have told me sounds awesome.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:34 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexi-in-Arlington-Heights View Post
Probably because the drive would be boring as to how the majority of the US is real conservative especially the areas you'd go through. There is sooo much diversity in Europe compare to here.
You're absolutely right. As soon as conservatives take over, they bulldoze the mountains and tear down all the tall buildings and fill in the lakes and rivers.
Then they close down all the Mexican, Asian, and other ethnic restaurants.
And have all the black people paint themselves white.

Yeah, right.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:06 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,111 times
I've done it twice and both times, thoroughly enjoyed it. I went to Toronto once for 3 days/2 nights and to a singles Club Med once for week. The Club Med trip is one of the most memorable trips that I have ever had in my life, and I've had many. What a blast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel