Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:13 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times

Advertisements

Here's Brian Mitchell's Profile>>

Brian David Mitchell - Profile of Brian David Mitchell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 05:11 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
I'm glad he got life in prison. Society will be safe from him, especially Elizabeth, and he will be safe from people's wrath.
He hasn't actually been sentenced yet, but that is almost certainly what the sentence will be. They're holding off on the sentence until next spring when Elizabeth returns to Salt Lake City again after completing her LDS mission in Paris. I bet this is the happiest Christmas she and her family have ever had. Talk about a classy young woman! She deserves every possible happiness and Mitchell deserves... well, I really can't say. Words like that would probably cause me to be banned from the forum.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:30 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I don't want to get into an argument about Mormonism, but I've got to believe that Elizabeth Smart's well-being and recovery is owed in a large part to the community of support she and her family get from the Mormon Community. They support each other in ways that most of us do not. Elizabeth is fortunate to have such a strong support system.
Yes, she is. The interesting thing is that so often, victims of sexual abuse feel that they have been made "filthy" because of the perverted acts they were forced to participate in. Young LDS girls (and boys) are taught from the time they enter puberty that sexual intimacy outside of marriage is wrong. Elizabeth testified that immediately after she was first raped, she felt that she was no longer sexually pure and that there was no way she could overcome the stigma of having been raped. Fortunately, over time, she must have come to realize that she was 100% innocent of any wrong-doing, and once she was found and returned to her family, they obviously made sure she understood that no matter what kinds of things she'd done during her captivity, she was not in any way to blame. The fact that she is currently serving an LDS mission in Paris is a further indication that despite the LDS Church's strong admonition for its members to remain celibate until marriage, it also recognizes the potential harm that could arise from a misunderstanding of this commandment. Had the Church in any way held Elizabeth responsible for any of what happened during those horrific nine months, she would not have been allowed to serve a mission. Elizabeth Smart will probably be held up as an example for young LDS girls to follow for generations to come.

Quote:
In contrast, I don't know that Jaycee Duggard is so fortunate. Her family are not wealthy and the professional counseling may not be there. I'm sure she has those around her who love her to death, but a true community support - without judgment - is what's needed for a complete recovery (if there is such a thing).
It's true that the Smarts were quite wealthy. Their home was in one of the most exclusive parts of Salt Lake City. I wonder how much difference that really made, though. I can't imagine that Jaycee will have to forego counseling because of a lack of a way to pay for it. If that's the case, then it is truly tragic beyond words. As horrible as Elizabeth's experience was, though, I think Jaycee's was worse. Elizabeth's captivity lasted nine months. Jaycee's lasted 18 years. To have had to live like she did for that long is simply something I cannot begin to fathom. Yes, she was an adult when she was found, but think of the years she survived as a child in those detestable circumstances. The sheer length of time she was held captive is enough to make me question her ability to recovery fully, no matter what resources were available to her now. I really, really hope she is able to. The fact that she survived as well as she did for so long is really a testament to her spirit, her intelligence and her strong will.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:31 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Finally, the end of this chapter in Elizabeth Smart's life.

I am in total awe of this young woman. She is so poised and seems to have put this horrific chapter in her life behind her. I can only attribute that to her upbringing and the strong family ties and support she has in her life.

Brian David Mitchell sentenced to life in prison for Elizabeth Smart kidnapping - Crimesider - CBS News

Old 05-26-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Finally, the end of this chapter in Elizabeth Smart's life.

I am in total awe of this young woman. She is so poised and seems to have put this horrific chapter in her life behind her. I can only attribute that to her upbringing and the strong family ties and support she has in her life.

Brian David Mitchell sentenced to life in prison for Elizabeth Smart kidnapping - Crimesider - CBS News
IIRC, she said she was considering a legal career--as a prosecutor.

She would be good.

Her family's values are inspiring. Private people. I can only hope that there will be a 'renaissance' of such values.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I actually don't think that she would be good as a prosecutor, I would think she may have too many counter-transference issues from when she was a victim herself.

I wish her the best, and am glad that she was recovered after only 9 months, rather than like Jaycee, 15 years.

Mitchell, deserves the death penalty. I can't believe he is going to federal prison...he should have been convicted and sent to state prison. I disagree with the state evaluators on this case. It was not until he was evaluated by a federal evaluator as a malingering, that the case was finally tried.

Last edited by jasper12; 05-26-2011 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: edit.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I actually don't think that she would be good as a prosecutor, I would think she may have too many counter-transference issues from when she was a victim herself.

I wish her the best, and am glad that she was recovered after only 9 months, rather than like Jaycee, 15 years.

Mitchell, deserves the death penalty. I can't believe he is going to federal prison...he should have been convicted and sent to state prison. I disagree with the state evaluators on this case. It was not until he was evaluated by a federal evaluator as a malingering, that the case was finally tried.
I don't know. The mind/emotions can heal --the rigorous intellectual challenges of law school would certainly be a good place to find out.

She is a gifted musician--I think she has been studying in France. She would certainly have career options.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:12 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
I'm glad he got life in prison. Society will be safe from him, especially Elizabeth, and he will be safe from people's wrath.
He is a danger to society with no regard for human beings. Good riddance! Stock up on cigarettes Brian, you'll need the "cash" to for your permanent vacation in Hotel steel and concrete. And enjoy our new salad bar!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
He is a danger to society with no regard for human beings. Good riddance! Stock up on cigarettes Brian, you'll need the "cash" to for your permanent vacation in Hotel steel and concrete. And enjoy our new salad bar!
I'm not certain but I think there are anti-smoking policies in many prisons.

How do people get so twisted and sick?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:59 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I'm not certain but I think there are anti-smoking policies in many prisons.

How do people get so twisted and sick?
He seems evil..The lack of remorse and the fact he was singing and smirking when the verdict was being delivered.

Since cigarettes are currency in jail, maybe he could get a couple of cartons together and have his head examined! Scary people out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime