Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,035 times

Advertisements

Can you please tell us what the KC newspaper article said...I couldn't find it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 02:23 PM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Oh, I have no doubt this was "normal" in this household. I remember her comment in one interview..."people drink and then they black out". She was so matter of fact about it, "like this happens to everybody, doesn't it? People who are alcoholics think that everybody drinks like they do. One does not just all of a sudden one night drink 5-10 glasses of wine. The bf is definitely covering up her drinking problem, IMO. Blackouts are different than passing out. I know someone who drove home in a blackout and not remembered how they even got home.
Exactly. Someone who is a serious alcoholic can actually function but is not aware of what they are doing at all. They can drive around, they can fill up their tank, they can order food, they can talk to people but they will have absolutely NO memory of it when they "wake up" from their black out. It is a whole lot different than passing out.

It IS possible for someone to drink 5-10 glasses of wine in one sitting. I had a co-worker who would down three beers in the mile from our work to the store to get more beer. We aren't talking casual drinkers here, we are talking serious alcoholics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I can hear Nancy Grace cackling from her broom flying overhead.
Heh.

Quote:
yes, I agree her lack of remorse about getting drunk and blacking out (if that really happened) was unusual. She was so matter of fact about it. Nobody really knows if she really blacked out or not. In fact, if you look at the interview, when the interviewer "suggests" 5-10 drinks, she says yes...when he "suggests" that she might have blacked out, she says yes. She doesn't come up with this herself...it's almost as if she is thinking...hey, OK, this will be a good alibi that the media has come up with so I'll go along with it.
People will sometimes just agree to get the interview over with or they really, truly, do not remember and hey, 5-10 drinks sounds about right and sure, they've blacked out before, it could be possible...so, ok...and they answer in the affirmative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I've tried a "lot" of box wine before and don't believe you could actually black out unless you drank the entire box on an empty stomach in the sun. A lot of things just don't add up..............
Again, you truly don't understand an alcoholic. This isn't college frat party scene, this is possible for a true alcoholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
In a perfect world that might be the case. In the real world, parents are almost suspects in these cases, even when they are completely innocent. Look at what Jon Benet's parents went through thanks to detectives who immediately locked in on them.

Best thing anyone can do in these situations is to get a lawyer immediately and give only the most pertinent information.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, I remember a case in Montana years ago, a young boy went missing on the way to school, single Mother, boyfriend, the police were convinced the child was killed by the Mom or BF. They basically did not investigate anything else, closed the case unsolved. Years go by, more missing boys, finally, they found a serial killer there. What is the police had looked beyond the family? Maybe the killer would have been found earlier, and lives saved. BTW, the police also said the family did not cooperate in that case...why would you, when you are basically the only target of the investigation?!

Not saying Baby Lisa's family is guilty or innocent, but I can understand their fear of the police. Sadly enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
We have all seen how attorneys will twist and turn statements to fit their agenda when they cross examine witnesses in court. Police officers are trained to do the same thing.

Even innocent people need to have an attorney present when questioned by police.

I have heard several former, high ranking, law enforcement officials say that innocent people are fools if they don't retain counsel on various television programs over the years.....and I tend to agree with them.

Unfortunately, some law enforcement officials are more concerned with closing the case than they are with finding the actual criminal.

A good example of this is when convicted prisoners are undeniably shown to be innocent because of DNA tests.......yet.......many of the LE officials involved in the conviction still adamantley refuse to admit they made a mistake.

If I had a child that was missing, or was a suspect in any crime.....I would cooperate fully with the police....but only with my attorney present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I understand checking the family, it is when the police zero in on them, to the exclusion of other potential suspects, that I find that problematic. These people should cooperate, but saying they need to speak to the parents separately makes me think the police are manipulating, and I am with the parents on this. The family is cooperating, just not doing what the police want in terms of interrogation.
Those are the reasons why people "lawyer up" even if they are totally and completely innocent. You have nothing to hide, that's fine. But if you think for one moment that your words will not be twisted around, that you will not be played with psychologically to get you to crack, (false confessions are not uncommon), that they will not try to trip you up and then say, "A-HA!", that most people remember every single little fact right at that moment and later remember something else or something a little differently and that won't be stated as, "they changed their story", then you hope and pray you never have to experience it because it happens.

We would like to think that the police are always there to help us and looking out for our best interest but in some cases, as I highlighted above, they don't care about that, they just care about arresting someone and getting a conviction.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:34 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,548 times
Quote:

This link has all the news updates including the one you're looking for.

lisa irwin latest news and videos (http://interceder.net/topic/lisa-irwin - broken link)

Old 11-04-2011, 02:45 PM

Three Wolves, you have to admit that the parents in this case are NOT acting like they care that their daughter is missing. God, I'd be a basket case by now as would any other mother who didn't know where their baby was.. but not Deb. She goes to the beauty salon and takes the kids trick or treating with camera crew in tow. I would've gotten in front of those cameras and begged whomever had my daughter to give her back.. but not Deb.

She could have, at the very least handed out fliers while she was trick or treating.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:11 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Quote:
I can't post the link because I am using my phone, but the paper is the Kansas City Star, and the article is "Timeline of Baby Lisa Disappearance.". It details everything that occurred that evening. I found the article on Google News.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:50 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,035 times
the details were very interesting....I'm still somewhat confused because I always thought that it was her female neighbor that was drinking and smoking with her on the stoop that night, but one article says it was the neighbor's husband (very recently estranged), who was very good friends with Debra. So which was it? I smell some hanky-panky going on here.

"Irwin was initially angry to discover the kitten and the lights were on. He knew the family was in such dire financial straight that their cell phones could not make outgoing calls because of nonpayment. He was concerned about the electric bill and finding a cat at the foot of his bed." So this guy does have a bit of a temper...I always thought it was a bit weird that he never went into the baby's room right away, he checked on the boys rooms but not the baby until a bit later (maybe he knew she wasn't in there?). Seems unusual for a father, most people would check out all the kids bedrooms at the same time. And the fact that he worked quite a few hours longer that night than originally planned seems a little too convenient for me.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
He knew the family was in such dire financial straight that their cell phones could not make outgoing calls because of nonpayment.

But there were 2 phone calls made from Debs phone that night. One of them was made to Megan Wright (pink haired girl).

That article is from 'unnamed sources' that the reporter is just repeating and it's not accurate.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,970,291 times
This has quickly turned into a Deborah is the victim case. Unfortunately Deb doesn't have the lying talents of Casey Anthony. I too am doubting Baby Lisa will be found alive. But I sincerely hope they find this baby.

Deb is still married and is the husband in the military? If so there is money coming in for the sons from the military I would think and maybe an allotment for her too.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:00 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Quote:
the details were very interesting....I'm still somewhat confused because I always thought that it was her female neighbor that was drinking and smoking with her on the stoop that night, but one article says it was the neighbor's husband (very recently estranged), who was very good friends with Debra. So which was it? I smell some hanky-panky going on here.
Possibly true, the women seems dumber than a bag of rocks...but have no connection to Lisa's disappearence.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:23 PM

I read that she was drinking with her neighbor Samantha.

and then I just read now that she was drinking with Samantha's husband.

I give up. Hopefully the KC cops know the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime