Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:43 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times

Advertisements

1) It's TV

2) They also use science to show that alternate theories posed are not possible

3) It's TV

Forensic scientists don't care "who done it" and generally know very little about the cases they are working on. The detectives can collaborate with a scientist about a theory, and the crime lab can help prove or disprove the theory presented.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:46 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,821,705 times
I sometimes get caught up in it and watch 5 or 6 in a row. I just wish they had some more current cases.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:31 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,076,490 times
Me too. ^^^
I also find myself watching Unsolved Mysteries at 5am.
They're usually from 2010.

UPDATE

Old 05-13-2016, 07:44 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Scientist are held to a standard in the field of testing that is less bias and more objective of factual data.

I enjoy the show and find that the array of Scientific evidence can influence a more accurate formation of cause ,effect and some times who the victim or assailant was.

Unfortunate though that some cases sit cold for years because science just hasn't come up with a test for the evidence that was collected. Or the evidence is no longer viable for testing....

Old 05-13-2016, 07:49 PM

5,585 posts, read 6,517,625 times
These shows "from the past" are no longer in production, so that is why all we see are repeats. I don't understand why, there are plenty of crimes to do shows about. And the names of these very popular shows are recognizable, I mean, we all know Forensic Files, Cold Case Files, City Confidential, these were all my favorites.

I STILL miss Paul Winfield of City Confidential. I am getting teary just remembering him and the show (another time and place in my life, memories). My favorite of them all, he was perfect as the narrator! He died in 2004,and they used a new narrator. The show ended shortly after. I always whine "Paaaaaul, I miss you, Paaaaaul." To this day, out of the blue................

The narrator of Forensic Files is perfect as well. Wish they were making new episodes.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:52 PM

9,765 posts, read 7,485,605 times
According to my DVR guide there was a new episode like 3 weeks ago. Whether or not it really was "new" or was the first time it had been on, the guide listed the episode as "new"

Old 05-14-2016, 06:26 AM

280 posts, read 339,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I watch it every night(2 half hour shows). It is very interesting but I have a couple of doubts in my head about Forensics. One thing that I noticed is that when a person is a possible suspect the forensic scientists try to prove that a person committed the crime and they seem driven to wanting that person to be the crime committer and therefore hoping there forensic investigation comes up with proof. Rather than being purely objective and approaching it as innocent before proof of guilt. Maybe I am wrong about that and it may be true in a few cases only. I don't know.

Another thing that happened that was strange. A women shot her husband up with a horse tranquilizer while he was sleeping. would it be possible for someone to stick a needle in my arm while I am sleeping without my waking up? But that was probably an exception of what seemed to be the rediculous for the most part.
Love it! as well as "Unusual Suspects" - two of my favourite, also other shows that rank high are FBI Files, Solved which is in similar formats.

I'm amazed the USA has so many cases they can make 10+ seasons.

What intrigues me are the rare cases on Forensic Files which can swing either way OR what at the start seems to be open/shut cases. It really highlights how sometimes despite "hard evidence" it is how evidence is interpreted and swayed. Two cases that come to mind is that Genzler vs Harless Case and another where there was a woman whose husband was killed in their farm barn or something with the evidence neither pointing to yes or no that she deliberately lit the fire....I'm still not convinced she's innocent.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:34 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,038,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I watch it every night(2 half hour shows). It is very interesting but I have a couple of doubts in my head about Forensics. One thing that I noticed is that when a person is a possible suspect the forensic scientists try to prove that a person committed the crime and they seem driven to wanting that person to be the crime committer and therefore hoping there forensic investigation comes up with proof.
The forensic people just gather evidence - but you're right though, that is exactly how our justice system works. Person XYZ is a SUSPECT, so the police and prosecutor try to PROVE it. It just so happens that forensics is a powerful tool that they use to do just that.

Quote:
Rather than being purely objective and approaching it as innocent before proof of guilt.
"Innocent until proven guilty IN A COURT OF LAW."

The assumption of innocence simply means you can't go to jail automatically. The state has to PROVE that you are guilty, and up until the verdict is read you are still presumed innocent.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:43 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,076,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Love it! as well as "Unusual Suspects" - two of my favourite, also other shows that rank high are FBI Files, Solved which is in similar formats.

I'm amazed the USA has so many cases they can make 10+ seasons.

What intrigues me are the rare cases on Forensic Files which can swing either way OR what at the start seems to be open/shut cases. It really highlights how sometimes despite "hard evidence" it is how evidence is interpreted and swayed. Two cases that come to mind is that Genzler vs Harless Case and another where there was a woman whose husband was killed in their farm barn or something with the evidence neither pointing to yes or no that she deliberately lit the fire....I'm still not convinced she's innocent.

I know which your speaking of. Barn, husband inside, kerosene lamp or container catches fire, right.
That one is a tough one.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:47 AM

953 posts, read 843,665 times
I've also watched a number of episodes of Forensic Files, but some new ones would really help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.