Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 01:29 AM

189 posts, read 166,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Burke filled a lawsuit against Dr Spitz for 150 mil today for defamation of character. CBS is next. Let's hope some evidence shakes loose if it goes to trial because it's at a stalemate now and you all are going in circles with 1855 posts
I think there's little chance it will ever get to trial. Most likely, there will be a settlement with undisclosed terms and with non-disclosure/non-disparagement clauses to keep everybody mum on specifics.

Why? No matter how confident Spitz is in his conclusion, I don't think he's a raging fanatic willing to tip at windmills like Darnay Hoffman, and Spitz's attorney is also likely to be keenly aware of how Ramseys' attorney Lin Wood made mincemeat out of Hoffman (twice), and remind his client what the consequences of an adverse trial verdict could be ($150 Million). Not worth taking that chance.

However, despite never going to trial, a bunch of useful information came out of the Wolf v. Ramsey case, in the depositions and Judge Carnes' detailed decision throwing it out. So it's quite possible we will learn something new, or have something previously in doubt clarified and confirmed. We can only hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 03:19 AM

3,529 posts, read 3,732,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meibomius View Post
The wrists did not need to be anywhere near as tight as the ligature to be effective at immobilizing her arms, and as you note the cord was over her sleeves, and thus would not necessarily leave wounds or even marks; the ligature was used to strangle her, and needed to be brutally tight.
The autopsy describes the neck knot as follows:

"Wrapped around the neck with a double knot in the midline of the posterior neck..."

Although I wouldn't expect a coroner to be an expert on knots, I would think that even laymen could -- don't have to, but could -- come to the conclusion that a double knot is a double knot is a double knot. Hard then to conclude that the garrote rope was moveable and adjustable to provide as a torture tool of slow strangulation using increased levels of tightness. If it was used to kill, tightening it all at once would make more sense when using a double knot.

John tried to untie the wrist knots, so that's why they're so loose, although they also look like double knots. A brutal killer probably wouldn't be gentle when tying wrists together, but no wrist abrasions are noted in the autopsy.

The complex knot on the garrote handle is a different beast.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:13 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I just find it hard to believe that if Burke was truly the murderer that JR would let him near the Dr Phil Show...no I think he was allowed to do the interview because he clearly has no idea what happened that night...a sort of red herring thrown out there...
That line of thinkings exactly what JRs hoping for.
Why would he encourage his son to do Dr Phils interview for any reason? You couldn't possibly believe hes ignorant to public ridicule and scrutiny from a joker face smile alone??
Look how many interviews John did. Remember the first interview with an incapacitated Patsy?
Who puts their family on display like that? John Ramsey does.

Last edited by virgode; 10-07-2016 at 04:30 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 06:33 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
John Ramsey has stated that upon finding his daughter's body, the first things he did were to rip off the tape and untie her wrists, the latter of which he did not entirely finish before carrying her upstairs. There is no reason to doubt this
Read the post w/ Barbara Walters interviewing JR. He could not untie the cord around her wrists.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
And if the killer had originally planned to spend half an hour or an hour in the basement molesting JB, taking fifteen minutes to write the note after she was wounded or dead wasn't really much riskier; everyone else is two/three floors up and on the opposite side of the house.
Fifteen minutes? It took the "expert investigators" on CBS--or whatever 20 year anniversary show it was--somewhere around 21 minutes just to COPY the RN.

I still believe that the killer probably did not initially plan, with his female companion, to kill JB. (I doubt that the female would have ever gone along with this supposed game if she had suspected what might happen.) I think she's the one who probably knew--or knew of--JB. They (he?) brought the cord and duct tape in to actually kidnap her.....but it didn't work out the way he'd planned.

No other explanation for the long, nonsensical and rambling RN, which probably took them quite awhile to write.

Last edited by CA4Now; 10-07-2016 at 06:56 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Burke filled a lawsuit against Dr Spitz for 150 mil today for defamation of character. CBS is next. Let's hope some evidence shakes loose if it goes to trial because it's at a stalemate now and you all are going in circles with 1855 posts
Of course he is, who didn't see it coming.
John Ramseys been drooling at the prospect of more litigation. When things don't add up, follow the money!

Old 10-07-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
This was always about contaminating the scene. Every thing John did to her corpse once he "found" it was to destroy evidence. Notice, he had to have someone else with him while doing it so he could pretend he wasn't ruining the crime scene. John is a liar and says things that fit the story he is trying to sell at that moment. Just look at how he lied about the flash light.
I think one of the TV shows pushed that idea even more than was previously suggested, back when details of the case were first leaked to the press.

Someone on this thread posted a clip w/ the time stamp explaining when FBI agent Ron Walker was called to the crime scene. I watched that part, and in that segment is a discussion by two of the experts that the reason Fleet White went with JR to the basement was so FW could be his accomplice in JR's cover up. (In the video, they make it appear as if the two experts had just "discovered" this "evidence.") I could not believe how the show twisted facts around to get the viewer to try to believe who their suspect was.

And the flashlight....I don't think that he or PR lied about it. They just didn't recognize it. I read on another forum that they couldn't identify it because they were shown a photo of it after the crime lab had processed it for fingerprints, and the chemicals used in the processing turned the aluminum surface of the light a mottled color. Also, that the anodized aluminum casing was not damaged. There is speculation that a 12 inch long object like this could not have produced the velocity needed to crush JB's skull and split it in two.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Fifteen minutes? It took the "expert investigators" on CBS--or whatever channel that show was on--somewhere around 21 minutes just to COPY the RN.

No other explanation for the long, nonsensical and rambling RN, which probably took them quite awhile to write.
What difference does length of time writing the ransom letter make to the case?

Has your opinion on the 911 call changed at all since the CBS show? O' thats right you didn't watch it....just a frame up, right. Sigh....

Old 10-07-2016, 07:21 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I find it hard to believe that if Burke were truly the murderer at age 9, that he has somehow, in 20 years, avoided EVER engaging in any other criminal act.
It's not that difficult to believe.

A few pages back, I related my experience as a child, getting so angry with my brother that I started to strangle him.

I was horrified at my actions, and NEVER assaulted anyone else and I am now 65 years old. Can't even imagine doing something like that again.

I was a normal child. I don't think Burke was. He may be lacking empathy or caring. It certainly seemed that way during his interview. If that's the case, he could have taken his anger to a higher level than I did as a child.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It's not that difficult to believe. A few pages back, I related my experience as a child, getting so angry with my brother that I started to strangle him.I was horrified at my actions, and NEVER assaulted anyone else and I am now 65 years old. Can't even imagine doing something like that again.
But you didn't murder him, right? Huge difference. No way did Burke kill his sister. Just absolutely no physical way he could have done it, accident or not. And nothing in his background for his entire 29 years points to any behavior remotely leading to a murder. I just don't believe there's any evidence to support the assumption that he did this.

Quote:
I was a normal child. I don't think Burke was.
He's probably on the autism spectrum. He obviously suffered a great deal emotionally, and probably psychologically, after his sister's murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime