Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2016, 07:29 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meibomius View Post
If anyone knows more about support for the "I don't feel pretty" story, please share. So far, I'm not inclined to put any stock in some anonymous source....
Apparently a guest at the Ramseys' Dec 23rd Christmas party had a conversation with JBR, during which JBR made this statement. There is no corroboration for it, and we have no idea if it was ever said, or--if she did say it--in what context it referred to. But Thomas put it in his book, anyway. (Did we expect anything different from him? )

If you go back to the earlier Ramsey threads, most of us did ask for sources, links, some sort of factual information from anyone who posted something new or not heard before. It's simply a way to discern fact from opinion.

In the later threads, when we re-stated something said earlier and someone would ask for a link, I got tired of searching through my old posts. I figured the person asking could look it up on his/her own.

Someone posted that it would be helpful if, when we were speaking of something that was NOT a known fact, we could preface it by stating, "In my opinion" or "I believe. Reasonable request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
This was recommend for me on YT. I've never seen it before. I don't know what year it's from...
He doesn't appear callous at all to me. Of course one would have to move forward, especially with a surviving child so young.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:52 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
He doesn't appear callous at all to me. Of course one would have to move forward, especially with a surviving child so young.
He's so happy about it. Like you'd think you'd have asked him about a business deal or something. He seems just a bit too enthusiastic when talking about being a suspect. If this wasn't a famous case and I was just watching it, I would think he was an actor doing a poor job.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Yes Steve Thomas was a disgrace to law enforcement.

Look at transcribed dialog between John Ramsey and Lou Smit in acandyrose.

John Ramsey said he had to have his phone number changed! ( jameson and shapiro )
Just looked this up and the story that Det Smit cut off jameson is also from Thomas’s book, another apparent untruth.

From jameson's rebuttal of info in Thomas’s book:

"Thomas correctly reported that Lou Smit and I spoke on a regular basis - and there is nothing wrong in what we were doing. I was in touch with many people and was passing tips to Boulder - to Hunter, Smit and the BPD. I don't deny that. I know at least some of our conversations were recorded - and Lou told me he was writing reports on what I brought to him.

But Thomas incorrectly identified what Lou and I spoke about. When I got the book, I called Lou and asked him if we ever had the conversation Thomas described. Lou said no. I hadn't thought so. Obviously Thomas wrote a fictional account describing what HE THOUGHT Lou and I spoke of - and the readers would have no idea that Thomas was simply making it up - more Thomas Twist.

Thomas LIED when he wrote that Smit had been attempting to NOT document our conversations. Lou Smit made it clear to me from the start that he was discussing me with others - and that reports were going in the files. Thomas Twist.

Thomas said that Lou Smit "pledged to stop any 'direct contact' with her." That is another out and out lie. Never happened."

http://www.acandyrose.com/02181999pmpt-pg373-374.htm
(PMPT = Perfect Murder, Perfect Town)

Old 10-18-2016, 10:04 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I

My response includes a quote from your post that has nothing to do with JonBenets pageants.

Anything Linda Hoffman Pugh said stands alone, none has been verified by any source I've read, so I don't put much stock into her statements. She and husband Melvin were the first that came to mind when LE questioned Ramseys. Pughs were discussed in Death of Innocence and lawsuit ensued. You can imagine how badly accusations naming a teenage girls parents as suspects effected her life. Pugh's case was thrown out of court. Honestly, Ramseys had a hell of a nerve imo, on one hand they were so protective of Burke, but never took this teenager into considertion. Any mention of the Pughs didn't make or break their book or the sales, it should've been left out.

Edit
Aside from their housekeeper, who possibly had motive for negative statements, including selling her story to tabloids; its not uncommon to keep silent when it comes to criminal cases for fear of litigation and retaliation, as with the Stantons. They simply don't want to get involved and sucked into the vortex. Happens all the time.
The same could be said about the Ramseys' treatment of the White family, whose small daughter was JonBenet's best friend at the time of the murder. This is the child about whom Patsy spoke slightingly, citing JonBenet's beauty and "personality" as being factors which led to her claimed enjoyment of the pageants, while stating that the White's little daughter lacked these characteristics.

Right, she more or less stated that her child's best friend, a six or seven year old little girl, was not cute or pretty and lacked personality. Later, both Ramseys threw the adult Whites under the bus, claiming that perhaps they should be viewed as suspects in JonBenet's death.

Says a lot about Patsy, right there...

Old 10-18-2016, 10:14 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Quote:
Apparently a guest at the Ramseys' Dec 23rd Christmas party had a conversation with JBR, during which JBR made this statement. There is no corroboration for it, and we have no idea if it was ever said, or--if she did say it--in what context it referred to. But Thomas put it in his book, anyway. (Did we expect anything different from him? )

If you go back to the earlier Ramsey threads, most of us did ask for sources, links, some sort of factual information from anyone who posted something new or not heard before. It's simply a way to discern fact from opinion.

In the later threads, when we re-stated something said earlier and someone would ask for a link, I got tired of searching through my old posts. I figured the person asking could look it up on his/her own.

Someone posted that it would be helpful if, when we were speaking of something that was NOT a known fact, we could preface it by stating, "In my opinion" or "I believe. Reasonable request.

The "I don't feel pretty" incident is also cited in "Perfect Murder, Perfect Town". JonBenet was sitting on the front staircase of her home during her family's Christmas party, which took place about a week prior to Christmas Day, crying. An adult party guest asked her what was wrong, at which she replied "I don't feel pretty". She was age-appropriately dressed in a black velvet and taffeta party dress (very different from her pageant costumes), with her hair done in a full, curly style. Evidently the guest tried to distract her and did not pursue just why she didn't "feel pretty"...sad little story, and one which raises questions, in retrospect.

Also, thanks to the other posters who found citations for the picture of JB and her family to which I referred in an earlier post. I was out of town yesterday when asked for the link and did not see the following discussion until after others had posted the link. It can be helpful to have links of this kind included, but considering the vast amount of information that's out there, it is not always possible to do this without spending excessive time and effort. However, if a full description is provided, as was done in my post about the family photo and the other pictures of JB with bruised upper arms, it should not be difficult for anyone wanting to see for themselves to find the relevant pictures or other documentation.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The "I don't feel pretty" incident is also cited in "Perfect Murder, Perfect Town". JonBenet was sitting on the front staircase of her home during her family's Christmas party, which took place about a week prior to Christmas Day, crying.
Schiller and Thomas apparently had conflicting information. One said that the comment was spoken to Janet McReynolds (wife of Bill McReynolds, who played Santa Claus) at the Dec 23 Christmas party, and makes no mention of JBR crying.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The same could be said about the Ramseys' treatment of the White family, whose small daughter was JonBenet's best friend at the time of the murder.

Later, both Ramseys threw the adult Whites under the bus, claiming that perhaps they should be viewed as suspects in JonBenet's death.

Says a lot about Patsy, right there...
There's a long discussion on one of the other threads about what happened between the Whites and the Ramseys after the murder, with links to transcripts about incidents regarding their relationship. I completely disagree that the Ramseys threw them under the bus.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:37 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I think them trying to pin it on the housekeeper, or her family, is fitting. It shows the sort of classist people the Ramseys were. When they themselves had very little class.
Whites were on the bus with Pughs. Classless isn't the word I had in mind.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:47 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
Quote:
There's a long discussion on one of the other threads about what happened between the Whites and the Ramseys after the murder, with links to transcripts about incidents regarding their relationship. I completely disagree that the Ramseys threw them under the bus.
Remember where?

Last edited by virgode; 10-18-2016 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime