Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 07:29 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

Clara C:

You had the EXACT same reaction to the book that I did, as it was written in an unbiased way and had many direct quotes.

And I too was just blown away by what Patsy said happened on that morning regarding finding and reading the ransom note. That just seemed to be so weird and unbelievable to me, and then when the the duct tape had fibers "not inconsistent with" those of the sweater Patsy was wearing the night of the party (or however it was phrased that seemed to imply that the fibers came from Patsy's sweater)*, the case was "clinched" for me, although I still continued to read and consider other theories. Now although I am no longer convinced that Patsy murdered her daughter, I am still inclined to think she was at least involved in the cover-up. I also think that the grand jury agreed with me as they did not accuse any particular member(s) of the Ramsey family, but were of the opinion, unless I am mistaken, that someone in the family was, or at least might have been, responsible. (This is what I gathered from what I have read on the case since, but maybe I "got it wrong" )

[*NOTE: The writer of the following linked article from The Denver Post, dated October 17, 1999 (almost three years after JonBenet was killed) actually used the word "matched". [quote, my italics]: "Other physical evidence pointing to the Ramsey mother includes fiber found on the duct tape that covered the dead girl’s mouth. The fiber matched a sweater Patsy wore Christmas night – the day before her daughter’s body was found, law-enforcement sources said." https://www.denverpost.com/1999/10/1...ion-long-shot/

(My note: The fiber, btw, was found INSIDE the duct tape, the sticky side against JonBenet's mouth area. However, as is stated in the link below, the fibers could have adhered after John pulled the tape from JonBenet's mouth and threw it on the floor, where the fibers might have been lying. http://extras.denverpost.com/news/jon0916.html ) ]

Btw, Lawrence Schiller, the author of Perfect Murder, Perfect Town, which was first published in February 1999, evidently agreed with the writer of the first above linked article, although the book was published eight months before the article was. I am quoting some of Schiller's thoughts on the case that he wrote in the epilogue (pp 583-4) below, in italics (my bold). QUOTE:

"I still wanted to verify whether anyone I interviewed could offer some indication the the Ramseys might have questioned each other's innocence. It wasn't long, however, before I was fairly certain once again that John would never raise the subject. If he actually knew Patsy was involved in their child's death, then there was no need for discussion. If he was merely suspicious, he would still refrain. And if he doubted Patsy's word, then why ask?" [snip]

"Soon enough I encountered all the other theories of the crime. Santa did it. John was molesting her daughter and Patsy caught them in the act. Patsy went crazy over her daughter's bed-wetting. The theories went on. Yet the more I learned about the murder from those investigating the case, the more clearly I saw, as did some of the detectives, that no one theory included all the evidence." [snip]

"So I find myself getting angry when I hear someone say, "Patsy did it because. . ." [snip]

"If someone is ever charged with JonBenet's murder and the case comes to trial, only then will a jury have a right to pass judgment." [snip] "The urge to blame someone is deep-seated. But we are obliged to remember the presumption of innocence."

END QUOTE

Last edited by katharsis; 01-10-2019 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 02:50 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Here they had 5 days, and their description of finding the RN doesn't appear to vary much from the other interviews.

from the CNN interview Jan 1, 1997 with Brian Cabell:

CABELL: Mrs. Ramsey -- you found the note. Was it a handwritten note, three pages?

RAMSEY, P: I didn't -- I couldn't read the whole thing I -- I just gotten up. We were on our -- it was the day after Christmas, and we were going to go visiting, and it was quite early in the morning, and I had got dressed and was on my way to the kitchen to make some coffee, and we have a back staircase from the bedroom areas, and I always come down that staircase, and I am usually the first one down. And the note was lying across the -- three pages -- across the run of one of the stair treads, and it was kind of dimly lit.

It was just very early in the morning, and I started to read it, and it was addressed to John. It said "Mr. Ramsey," And it said, "we have your daughter." And I -- you know, it just was -- it just wasn't registering, and I -- I may have gotten through another sentence. I can't -- "we have your daughter." and I don't know if I got any further than that. And I immediately ran back upstairs and pushed open her door, and she was not in her bed, and I screamed for John.

CABELL: John, you subsequently read the note. Was there anything in there that struck you in any sense?

RAMSEY, J: Well, no. I mean, I read it very fast. I was out of my mind. And it said "Don't call the police." You know, that type of thing. And I told Patsy, call the police immediately. And I think I ran through the house a bit.

RAMSEY, P: We went to check our son.
Just as you have all your talking points for the defense of the Ramsey's...my reply would be... liars often give great detail...so round and round we go...

Old 01-10-2019, 03:18 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Just as you have all your talking points for the defense of the Ramsey's...my reply would be... liars often give great detail...so round and round we go...
What was notable from their interview was they gave very few details about the content of the ransom note. It makes it difficult to catch them in inconsistencies. It also looks very suspicious because it show a lack of interest in finding out what happened in a time of crisis.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:46 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,289,046 times

It can't be him, since Patsy did it. Now we just need to figure out how Patsy helped him cover it up and escape.

But seriously this guy has always seemed like the most likely suspect, but his DNA doesn't match so this confession by itself isn't enough. He could be another creepy Karr seeking publicity, or so drug-damaged that he thinks he did it. And the Daily Mail isn't exactly the most reliable source, so I'll wait to hear if anything comes out to comfirm any of this. It sounds sketchy, but would be great if he actually knows something.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:58 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times

They said he has autopsy photos of her, but he still said her head was busted in half. Which we know it wasn't. I wonder if he's getting anxious about getting out and having to find a way to live on his own? He may just want to stay in prison.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:30 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Just as you have all your talking points for the defense of the Ramsey's....
Nope. I actually thought in the beginning that one of the Ramseys knew something, but had covered it up.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:45 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
They said he has autopsy photos of her, but he still said her head was busted in half. Which we know it wasn't. I wonder if he's getting anxious about getting out and having to find a way to live on his own? He may just want to stay in prison.
It is interesting that he was there, locally, when this happened.

But yes, that's not how she died, guy. Try again. NO ONE was holding her lovingly in their arms and watching helplessly as she died from a head cracked in half.

Interestingly, his handwriting is decidedly not a match for the ransom note. Hm.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:49 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,289,046 times
https://kdvr.com/2019/01/10/boulder-...jonbenet-case/

Nothing he hasn't admitted before, apparently

Old 01-10-2019, 09:01 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Micheal Veils tried convincing police Oliva killed JonBenet for years. At one time he came forward with a box of audio tapes with Olivas crime confessions. BPD ignored him then and now. I think this dudes likes the publicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime