Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 07:12 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
That area was thoroughly searched multiple times using dogs, and later, cadaver dogs. Most of the trees in that area are deciduous, i.e no leaves in winter, and not that thick. There's a triangle of terrain there that's roughly 1/2 x 1 x 1 1/2 miles on a side, with roads on each side lined with houses, farm, orchid, etc. It would have been difficult for her to get lost and even more difficult for searchers to miss her.

My own opinion is that she was picked up by a tandem driver, i.e. someone she knew, they made it to their destination, and she was killed later, potentially by her psycho boyfriend.

That's an elaborate theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 11:51 AM

63 posts, read 70,410 times
I don’t buy into the tandem driver theory. I also don’t think the BF killed her, although he was certainly a major creep. I think Maura was in a bad place in life (understandably); she just needed a break and was hoping to spend a few days in a familiar place and do a good amount of drinking. She’d had some booze at the time of the accident and knew there was no way she could risk a DUI on her record, which would result in a re-opening of the theft charges. The dismissal of these was entirely dependent on her staying out of trouble.

So off she went, scurrying along on a dark, icy road. Got picked up by the wrong person. This jives with the account of the woman who was walking near the little town just a few minutes earlier and felt she might have been followed by someone in a truck. Apparently this is a credible account. The truck drove off in the direction of the accident and would have happened upon the scene around the time of Maura’s accident.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:04 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,344,654 times
I think the tandem driver theory came up because of the ATM footage at Buxtons?
Something I would like to read more about is the odds of Bruce McKay having responded to the crash site.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:18 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMeQuick View Post
I don’t buy into the tandem driver theory. I also don’t think the BF killed her, although he was certainly a major creep. I think Maura was in a bad place in life (understandably); she just needed a break and was hoping to spend a few days in a familiar place and do a good amount of drinking. She’d had some booze at the time of the accident and knew there was no way she could risk a DUI on her record, which would result in a re-opening of the theft charges. The dismissal of these was entirely dependent on her staying out of trouble.

So off she went, scurrying along on a dark, icy road. Got picked up by the wrong person. This jives with the account of the woman who was walking near the little town just a few minutes earlier and felt she might have been followed by someone in a truck. Apparently this is a credible account. The truck drove off in the direction of the accident and would have happened upon the scene around the time of Maura’s accident.

I think the guy(s) in the pickup truck were thoroughly checked out by the police. Traffic on that road at hour was pretty minimal 17 years ago according to comments by local people so it seems very unlikely that a deranged killer just happened to come along in the ~10 minutes before the police arrived. I think a tandem driver is more plausible.

Somehow she left the scene that night before the arrival of the police. If she'd just walked off into the woods, her body would have been found during one of the numerous searches there.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I think the guy(s) in the pickup truck were thoroughly checked out by the police. Traffic on that road at hour was pretty minimal 17 years ago according to comments by local people so it seems very unlikely that a deranged killer just happened to come along in the ~10 minutes before the police arrived. I think a tandem driver is more plausible.

Somehow she left the scene that night before the arrival of the police. If she'd just walked off into the woods, her body would have been found during one of the numerous searches there.

Not if she walked 5 or 10 miles

Old 01-09-2022, 02:06 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Not if she walked 5 or 10 miles

She's not walking 5 or 10 miles without being seen on that road by several dozen motorists. She would not be able to dodge off-road quickly enough with 4-foot snowbanks to hide. She's either in those woods close by or was picked up by someone.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:22 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
There are many cases about lone drivers involved in single-car accidents who leave the scene and are never heard from again.
Some believe the paranormal is at play.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
She's not walking 5 or 10 miles without being seen on that road by several dozen motorists. She would not be able to dodge off-road quickly enough with 4-foot snowbanks to hide. She's either in those woods close by or was picked up by someone.

I don't really know how far she would have to have walked to avoid detection by the search or cadaver dogs. Since there doesn't seem to be any evidence that anyone ever saw her alive again, solo drunken misadventure seems very high on the list of probable causes of death.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
There are many cases about lone drivers involved in single-car accidents who leave the scene and are never heard from again.
Some believe the paranormal is at play.

Yea, but they are crazy.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:45 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Billboard campaign for "Maura Murray Missing" during the 19th anniversary of her disappearance.

https://www.wmur.com/article/new-ham...oards/42768490
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime