Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,749,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
I was told to look N - NW of Ina.......Now how should that be pronounced? I think it should be Eena....or should it Ina (hard "I"). I have heard both.....
Hard I, Ina
Have you used the Tucson MLS site to search for a rental? If not, click on "Search Listings", on the next page, towards the top look for "property type" click and select "Rental" then there are a bunch of parameters you can enter to narrow your search. It is not the most user freindly interface, but once you know how to navigate around it is a great tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 03:28 AM

298 posts, read 948,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena and mike View Post
brrrinmass, check out where Mike is going, they may need more engineers
I would Helena but I have 25 years with the company and would not want to give up my pension. Most places do not even offer pensions anymore....

Old 04-21-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Brrr maybe you just need to go ahead and put it on the market and see what happens. It doesn't cost you a thing to get it listed. If you don't get an offer you like, no one is going to force you to sell, might be worth a shot. Ya just don't ever know, maybe this could have been your last winter there.. And waiting for the market to go up; when that happens it will probably being going up here also. I know things are slow all over compared to normal, but there are still a lot of homes being bought and sold every month. There were over 1100 closed transactions here in Tucson in March, down from historical numbers, but still that's a lot of homes. If it doesn't sell over the summer or fall, then hunker down for another winter Just food for thought! But just maybe you could be working on your tan here next January instead of shoveling snow in MA!
Rick I am not so much waiting for the prices to come up again. I understand that if I sell low here I will be buying low over there. It is the selling in conjunction with being offered a job that would scare me off. How can you put your home on the market if you haven't been given an employment offer. Rick another thing....... How would it work if I had an offer...took the offer..... but hadn't sold my house in time for my employment to begin. Is it possible to sell a house from 3000 miles away? I certainly could not afford 2 mortgages at the same time. I am sure I am not the first person to ever go through this. Will banks make deals where you could pay the interest only until you sell your property or something else that people who are relocating would benefit from. I have never sold a house and do not really know anyone else who has either. You have been a plethora of knowledge. You should start charging me a fee ha ha ha.... but please don't......

Old 04-21-2011, 04:50 AM

138 posts, read 269,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrinmass View Post
I would Helena but I have 25 years with the company and would not want to give up my pension. Most places do not even offer pensions anymore....
that is understandable. And you must have wonderful vacation time also.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:10 AM

190 posts, read 618,608 times
Thanks Rick, the hard "I" doesn't feel right but, will be sure to say it that way. I have used the Tucson MLS to look at rentals. I have tempoary housing for 60 days so am all set for right now. Helena has been looking at Craigslist and a couple other sites. She will come down for 5 days so we can look at homes to rent.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Thanks Rick, the hard "I" doesn't feel right but, will be sure to say it that way. I have used the Tucson MLS to look at rentals. I have tempoary housing for 60 days so am all set for right now. Helena has been looking at Craigslist and a couple other sites. She will come down for 5 days so we can look at homes to rent.
Well maybe I am remembering my phonics terminology wrong! It's been a couple of years since I studied that anyway. But it is pronounced with a "long I"' sound, like in Ice, or the pronoun "I",,,,, Ina!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrinmass View Post
Rick I am not so much waiting for the prices to come up again. I understand that if I sell low here I will be buying low over there. It is the selling in conjunction with being offered a job that would scare me off. How can you put your home on the market if you haven't been given an employment offer. Rick another thing....... How would it work if I had an offer...took the offer..... but hadn't sold my house in time for my employment to begin. Is it possible to sell a house from 3000 miles away? I certainly could not afford 2 mortgages at the same time. I am sure I am not the first person to ever go through this. Will banks make deals where you could pay the interest only until you sell your property or something else that people who are relocating would benefit from. I have never sold a house and do not really know anyone else who has either. You have been a plethora of knowledge. You should start charging me a fee ha ha ha.... but please don't......
It is a hard thing to balance brrr. Obviously landing the job in Tucson is the #1 priority, otherwise it is all moot. And as Sierra mentioned, they have had some layoffs even. What you might do in the meantime though is talk to a realtor. If you don't have one that you are comfortable with then that's a whole other email I could talk with you about. Just explain your situation, that you are not ready to list yet, but needing a realisitic market analysis done on your home. If they don't want to do one because your not ready to list yet, then they are lazy and you don't want that realtor anyway! I would ask them in this present environment what they would expect the best case and worst case for what they would expect for price and days on market. That will give you some idea of what to deal with. But even with the best realtor it is just an educated guestimate!

I don't know what kind of flexibility Raytheon would give for a job offer and waiting to sell your home back there. But trying to coordinate the new job, selling a home, buying a home can be extremly tough. I would not even worry about trying to buy a home unless it all just happens to fall together. Do like Mike is doing, find a rental for 6 months, get to know the area. Take your time in finding a home to buy when you are not under pressure to make a decision. Prices certainly are not moving up yet!

As for banks being considerate and offering a second mortgage as interest only. No, they will not do that. If can qualify to carry two mortgages you can get it, but would be paying pricipal and interest on both. No mercy from the banks, just realty.

So continue to monitor the Raytheon jobs for a transfer, get the best current information you can get on your home and the housing market in your area. Ask your realtor to send you monthly market updates for your area. Then when the job opportunity presents itself you are not starting from scratch trying to list you home.

Good luck brrrr!

Old 04-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Raytheon is laying off engineers! AGAIN!
Sierra is this recently or the one that happened last fall? Was it in the newspapers?

Old 04-21-2011, 11:52 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,577,808 times
Would it be possible to rent your house out while it's on the market? I have heard of rent-to-own, but I don't know anyone who's done it. I was thinking I'd need to rent out my house in CO when I first put it on the market last March because the market was so depressed, but it turned out that it was under contract within 10 days for full asking price, so it was a moot point. Still, the closing wasn't until June, so I did pay two mortgages (condo here, house in CO) from the time my husband died and the house sold (about 8 months), and it was tough, financially, as I didn't have an income and the Estate wasn't settled yet. If you get a good property manager, who thoroughly screens applicants, it might work where you can get enough rent to cover the monthly mortgage payment. Just a thought if you get the job and are worried about selling the hosue.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:58 PM

190 posts, read 618,608 times
Earlier today my car was loaded up onto a flat bed tow truck to start it's journey to Tucson. House was officially listed yesterday. Tomorrow I will be on a plane with one of our dogs (Jenny, the puppy) and headed to Tucson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson