Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tuscon quality of life
Tuscon is Racially diverse with no issues. 3 37.50%
Tuscon is not racially diverse with issues. 0 0%
Tuscon is a great place to raise a family no matter your family make up. 5 62.50%
Stay away from Tuscon if your a mixed family. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 6,665 times

Advertisements

I am considering employment in the Tuscon area and my question is I am a mixed couple, me white wife black and children black, I've heard that Tuscon was an area with racial issues, is this true? For me and wife not to big of an issue but i want to be comfortable with kids in school so that it is a good move for them as well, can anyone give me an honest opinion of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 10:43 AM

20 posts, read 33,366 times
Hi howardc69...my wife and i feel more like Tucsonians now that we've spent some time and talked with lots of people there. We've decided to move there and are awaiting closing of our mortgage. We are moving out of Buffalo, NY which i consider to be a pretty much racially divided and prejudiced town. Most caucasians around here won't admit to that publicly, but Buffalo has seen "white flight" to the 'burbs where the "better" school districts are. I hadn't heard ANY talk of a prejudicial nature while in Tucson...there is a Spanish "barrio" neighborhood closer to downtown that is more ethnic Mexican than what i see as your typical run-down ghetto area back East "reserved" for slums inhabited by people of color. Tucson seemed very alive and bustling, you might say "healthy" in its activity. Actually, before experiencing the town first-hand i thought there might be more prejudice against white people by the original Native and Hispanic folks there, but i felt none of that whatsoever. I hope you'll have a chance to visit and experience the city first-hand. It's a great place to live and raise a family from what i've seen. Good luck to you!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:47 AM

92 posts, read 201,346 times
No place in the universe is perfect but I wouldn't worry about racial issues with your mixed race family. Your family will do fine in Tucson. Welcome, if you do live in the Old Pueblo ... it's Tucson not Tuscon, btw

Old 05-13-2013, 11:32 AM

205 posts, read 729,772 times
I come to Tucson from the DC area where the black population was in the majority and so was shocked when I saw few blacks in Tucson. I don't think it has anything to do with discrimination, just hasn't been an area attractive to that particular ethnic group. It however has a lot of people of color, Hispanic and Native American being the two dominant groups. I think the west in general developed with a MUCH more tolerant attitude than the east coast. You didn't have all that came over on the Mayflower crap going on although the treatment of the Chinese labor was less than good.

I don't think people look on mixed race marriage any differently any longer. After all, how much pure ethnicity is left anyway? I think we've all gotten to the point where we have some percentage of black, hispanic, NA, Asian and European blood in us now anyway.

I think you'll find Tucson a very accepting community and a great place to raise a family.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 6,665 times
Default Moving to Tucson

I am considering employment in the Tucson area and my question is I am a mixed couple, me white wife black and children black, I've heard that Tucson was an area with racial issues, is this true? For me and wife not to big of an issue but i want to be comfortable with kids in school so that it is a good move for them as well, can anyone give me an honest opinion of the area? Updated with correct spelling of city, thank you for all the replies so fR. It's important for my whole family to thrive

Old 05-18-2013, 11:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
In the development I live in (NW suburb) we have every race I can think of. We have retirees and working families. The only critical comments I every hear are about people who don't take care of their property. Nobody cares where you came from ... just don't drag down their property values with bad landscaping!

Old 05-19-2013, 09:20 PM

344 posts, read 642,999 times
Never been to Tuscon. I do live often in Tucson. Spelling your new home is important or you will get lost.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:01 PM

20 posts, read 33,366 times
Default Good spelling is a virtue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salpointe59 View Post
Never been to Tuscon. I do live often in Tucson. Spelling your new home is important or you will get lost.
Good point, Salpointe!! I don't think there's anything "ordinary" about Tucson...that's probably why it's NOT spelled Tuscon or even Twosahn, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson