Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
The nearest Walmart (in Benson) is a 20-25 minute drive down the freeway.
He-he, I always thought shopping in Benson would be more convenient. I thought Vail got at least a grocery store, but not so... Only Rancho Sahuarita did.

Hey, they've no food and they have Curves - they'll be in great shape!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 09:39 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,351,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I didn't know about the whistle pattern. That's pretty cool. I'll pay attention from now on. Starting to get pretty excited about the prospect of moving down there very soon (mostly dependent upon how soon we can sell our home here in Seattle).

Ken
SELL that thing, and get on over here, Lord Ken of Balfor! Let's get that NEW life started!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:15 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
"I thought Vail got at least a grocery store, but not so..."

A Safeway is supposed to go in at Colossal Cave and Mary Ann Cleveland, but (because of the economy) it is being delayed. Rita Ranch has some shopping and dining, and isn't too far away. For the most part, though, it is a drive to get places.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:59 AM

15 posts, read 53,047 times
Honestly, having things further away is part of the convience...for us. We eat out too much and go to walmart too often, spend too much money. Further away means less, better planned out shopping trips and a lot less eating out.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:23 PM

15 posts, read 53,047 times
Quote:
Oh, and the train tracks, which are busy, can be loud if you live near them. If you're north of the wash it isn't too bad.
So where would be considered north of the wash? Need to pull out a map I guess.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:07 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
Ranch Del Lago (the largest master-planned community in "Vail") is split into two by a dry river. When you visit or look at a map, it's pretty easy to see. You'll still be able to hear the trains on the north side, but you're just a little further removed, so it's not quite as loud.

Vail, BTW, is not an incorporated town. There are no town limits, so exactly where is Vail? If you ask 10 people you'd likely get 10 different answers. Some think of it as a small area (Rancho Del Lago and the businesses between and just south of the tracks)--heck, some might not even include Rancho Del Lago! For others, it stretches from the foothills of the Rincon Mountains to (and including) Corona De Tucson. Many others might say something in between.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
If you ask 10 people you'd likely get 10 different answers.
You remind me of something funny. I was there a couple of weekends ago and noticed that a few hundred feet past the only (I'm guessing) little strip mall (where Curves and some restaurants are) you get a sign "Welcome to Tucson City Limits"!

We all know Tucson's city limits are as bizarre as it gets, but in the heart of Vail...?! WTH?!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You remind me of something funny. I was there a couple of weekends ago and noticed that a few hundred feet past the only (I'm guessing) little strip mall (where Curves and some restaurants are) you get a sign "Welcome to Tucson City Limits"!

We all know Tucson's city limits are as bizarre as it gets, but in the heart of Vail...?! WTH?!
Yup, kind'a like Marana in that regard - stretches wayyyyyyyy out there.

Ken

Old 02-26-2010, 12:00 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha-ha, I certainly understand that! I think the biggest concentration of military is in Rita Ranch. There are some in Sierra Morado and probably none in Civano. I don't know about Mesquite Ranch.

If you're willing to have a longer commute, you can live in many decent places on the E and NE side. Tanque Verde school district is also very good.
There's quite a bit of military in the neighborhoods off Jumping Cholla too (just south of Rita Rd.).

I like Rita Ranch because of it's proximity to shopping/schools etc. Vail schools really can't be beat. We have had phenomenal experiences at Cottonwood there and can't rave enough about it.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
There's quite a bit of military in the neighborhoods off Jumping Cholla too (just south of Rita Rd.).

I like Rita Ranch because of it's proximity to shopping/schools etc. Vail schools really can't be beat. We have had phenomenal experiences at Cottonwood there and can't rave enough about it.
OMG! A ghost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson