Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:14 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
OMG! A ghost!

LOL! Tell me about it Sierra!

I'm back home now....we moved back and I'm missing me some Tucson weather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 12:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
LOL! Tell me about it Sierra!

I'm back home now....we moved back and I'm missing me some Tucson weather!
What, what, what...? You're back in Michigan? That's not what your "location" claims...

Old 02-26-2010, 02:20 PM

15 posts, read 53,043 times
How safe are outdoor activities (like hiking and such) with children....3 and 6 years old???

Old 02-26-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMilitary View Post
How safe are outdoor activities (like hiking and such) with children....3 and 6 years old???
As long as you are with them and are aware of your surroundings you'd be fine. We moved from the midwest out there and were worried about all the critters out there too. We were there for just over 1.5 years and we only found 2 dead scorpions in our house, no rattlesnakes (though our neighbor 2 doors down had one in their garage) a poisonous toad by our front door, and 3 black widows on the front entry way. Our kids were well trained on what was safe and were scared of critters anway. LOL

I'm not sure where you would like to hike around there though Saguaro Park East isn't too far from Rita Ranch and has great hiking etc.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What, what, what...? You're back in Michigan? That's not what your "location" claims...
I am back in MI indeed. It's COLD here! Though my friend called me mid week to tell me it was 36 degrees there that morning.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 AM

15 posts, read 53,043 times
thanks everyone for all the help. Still gotta make the decision of moving or not....too much to figure out

Old 03-08-2010, 06:33 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMilitary View Post
We're looking at moving out to the Tucson area sometime within the next year. We have some questions though, hoping that we can figure out a good place to buy a home.

Obviously from the name, we are military, and will be working on DM (Davis-Monthan). We've heard that the Vail school district is the best out there, which is perfect for us as we have one in school and another child that will be entering school during out time out there. However, we are worried what the commute is like from Vail to DM. How long does it take during rush hour?

Also, some questions about the Vail area. We would want a newer home. What are the neighborhoods like out there? Are the homes good quality? Also, the 'critter' problem, snakes, scorpions, etc...what is that REALLY like out there? Are there problems with this inside the homes and living areas? My youngest is INCREDIBLY curious and picks up everything. Do the homes have kid-friendly yards, like grass, no cactus, stuff like that?

We've both grown up in the southern nevada deseret, so the heat isn't a big deal. We know what 115 degree summers are like.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.
I taught in Vail for two years and still have a few friends that are teachers there. I know its one of the better districts in southern Arizona, probably in the state, but I wouldn't send my kid there. All it is is training to take tests, and given the school funding issues that the state has right now, and how unlikely it is that a tax increase will be passed by the population, you can expect a bare bones school without gym or the arts or any other extra curriculars. One friend was estimating a 20-25% staff reduction if they can't get any new income in the schools, and they payteachers crap in Arizona.

My wife taught in another school district for 3 years and complains of the same woes. We finally were sick of how the state treats education and left for somewhere where we felt teachers were valued.

Get transferred to another state ASAP is my advice if you care about your kids education.

As to your yard and "critter problem" most of the yards are a desert sort of environment, no nice grass unless you pay to put in the fake grass. Even the main high school out in Vail has a turf football field. I can recall seeing few to none that weren't a rocky/desert sort of yard.

If you can afford it, the Civano development is a nice development (closer to the base too), on the corner of Irvington and Houghton. however the houses are pricey.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 PM

6 posts, read 11,820 times
For a better commute to Davis pick the Northwest part of Tucson, Marana, or Oro Valley. Beautiful, Clean and Safe.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenly36 View Post
For a better commute to Davis pick the Northwest part of Tucson, Marana, or Oro Valley. Beautiful, Clean and Safe.
Beautiful, clean and safe I'd agree with - but a better commute to Davis than the commute from Vail is?

I wouldn't think so.

Ken

Old 03-09-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Beautiful, clean and safe I'd agree with - but a better commute to Davis than the commute from Vail is?

I wouldn't think so.

Ken

I agree with you there. Is the construction done yet? I would not put my kids in Marana schools. We loved Oro Valley but couldn't justify cost/travel time to get to Tucson etc. It's just too crowded for me up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson