Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 AM

50,503 posts, read 64,425,260 times

Advertisements

I have only watched the show a few times, but really? Did anyone think that someone as messed up as she is could possibly have a successful marriage? She had a screwed up upbringing with no role models, and she can't even take a pee unless she talks to her shrink about it first.
The husband had normal parents and a normal childhood. It's too bad he didn't see what a mess Bethenny was before he had a child with her. The poor kid is doomed to be a repeat of the mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 11:53 AM

50,503 posts, read 64,425,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
I watched a slice of it. She's crossing into Kelly Ripa thin territory. If she didn't have the implants she'd almost be there. I think she said this would be the last season for her show, but I suspect if her talk show does not take off she'll let the cameras follow her around for another season or two for some easy dough or since she's friends with Hoda K maybe she'll try to bump off Kathie Lee.
One can only hope.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:52 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,218,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I hope they get divorced. There is far too much fighting and I find him the ultimate in passive-aggressiveness. She is a shameless shiller, for sure. But I find him to be very obnoxious and incredibly jealous of her. Their daughter is adorable and incredibly bright. Very sad for her but growing up without all of that fighting and backbiting may be for the best. Watching them became exhausting for me and that was only a few hours a year!
Exhausting is a good word, I have a bunch of episodes on Tivo that I haven't watched yet, there was too much fighting and general unpleasantness between them, the fun seemed to be gone. Everyone blames her, but I don't find him to be a prize, he's rather self righteous about his "normal" family, as though his family knows the perfect way to do everything, and anyone who feels differently is wrong. He seems rather spoiled to me. She may have had a difficult childhood, but at least she is willing to seek help, and try to deal with her issues, I respect that a lot more than someone who thinks they are perfect, and expects everyone else to change.

I think they both felt the biological clock ticking and jumped too quickly into marriage and children when they just didn't know each other well enough, they were still in the romantic stage where everything feels wonderful and it seems like you found your perfect soul mate, we all know that doesn't last, and once children come, reality can hit hard.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,444,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Exhausting is a good word, I have a bunch of episodes on Tivo that I haven't watched yet, there was too much fighting and general unpleasantness between them, the fun seemed to be gone. Everyone blames her, but I don't find him to be a prize, he's rather self righteous about his "normal" family, as though his family knows the perfect way to do everything, and anyone who feels differently is wrong. He seems rather spoiled to me. She may have had a difficult childhood, but at least she is willing to seek help, and try to deal with her issues, I respect that a lot more than someone who thinks they are perfect, and expects everyone else to change.

I think they both felt the biological clock ticking and jumped too quickly into marriage and children when they just didn't know each other well enough, they were still in the romantic stage where everything feels wonderful and it seems like you found your perfect soul mate, we all know that doesn't last, and once children come, reality can hit hard.
Yes, calling her "damaged" all the time was a major red flag that he really has some major issues.

The first several episodes were lousy with fighting but after that it got a bit better. It's mildly interesting to see how their new place turns out and see the departure of Julie. Nothing to go out of your way about but the feuding finally subsides. I suspect that it didn't in real life but Bethanny knew the endless arguments were wearing and edited the last several episodes as such.

I agree that she is a very sharp business woman and it is far more commendable to be such a survivor. I often wonder if his mom and dad showered him with attention after his brother died. That, or maybe he was resentful of him and his parent's mourning as well. He has an enormous jealous-streak. Every episode to the very end mentions that Jason still doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up, as it were. Lots of talk about finding his "passion." The digs he gives her are relentless. In one Mexico episode he finally admits there is resentment, that he really didn't expect her to be so successful. At first she didn't want to hear about how difficult he is but if the divorce rumors are true I am glad she finally came to her senses.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:02 PM

5,355 posts, read 8,588,753 times
Its interesting how differently people perceive things - I view B as a very self-centered, toxic, probably Adderall-addicted person - I don't know how any man in his right mind could put up with her- especially her constant talk about genitals, flirting with other guys in front of her husband, etc.

Whatever Jason's faults may be, they pale in comparison to the narcissist that is Bethanny.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,392,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Its interesting how differently people perceive things - I view B as a very self-centered, toxic, probably Adderall-addicted person - I don't know how any man in his right mind could put up with her- especially her constant talk about genitals, flirting with other guys in front of her husband, etc.

Whatever Jason's faults may be, they pale in comparison to the narcissist that is Bethanny.
I record it so I can skip through the her crying, and her shrink sessions. Why does it show her with her dr. every single week? I have a friend like B, and no one can stand to be around her for very long. Those type of people are draining. They have to be the center of attention constantly.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 PM

5,355 posts, read 8,588,753 times
She is a complete and utter famewh*re. She was on the cover of People magazine in a bikini within weeks of giving birth to a premature baby. Was that necessary? WHO does that?

She is basically just obsessed with being famous. If you watch closely, you will see that she really has no involvement in the business side of the whole Skinny Girl thing- Jason is the one who is always asking the important business related questions. She is just the "face" of the product at this point. I wonder if the liquor company gets embarrassed when they watch Bethany talk about c*cks and b*lls within minutes of meeting any new guy, regardless of the setting.

I believe she uses her "bad childhood" as a way for people to feel sympathy for her. I mean who in their right mind - in a new marriage with a baby- broadcasts their private therapy sessions for the world to see? Who would choose to broadcast nasty fights with their husband for the world to see?

IMO, only a person who is obsessed with getting attention.

And at this point I equally fault Jason for going along with all of these shenanigans. I think he decided to be naked in several scenes, so I think he's got some famewh*re in him too- I don't see him as a helpless victim - but in some ways, I do think he underestimated what Bethany was all about when he initially hooked up with her.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,444,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
She is a complete and utter famewh*re. She was on the cover of People magazine in a bikini within weeks of giving birth to a premature baby. Was that necessary? WHO does that?

She is basically just obsessed with being famous. If you watch closely, you will see that she really has no involvement in the business side of the whole Skinny Girl thing- Jason is the one who is always asking the important business related questions. She is just the "face" of the product at this point. I wonder if the liquor company gets embarrassed when they watch Bethany talk about c*cks and b*lls within minutes of meeting any new guy, regardless of the setting.

I believe she uses her "bad childhood" as a way for people to feel sympathy for her. I mean who in their right mind - in a new marriage with a baby- broadcasts their private therapy sessions for the world to see? Who would choose to broadcast nasty fights with their husband for the world to see?

IMO, only a person who is obsessed with getting attention.

And at this point I equally fault Jason for going along with all of these shenanigans. I think he decided to be naked in several scenes, so I think he's got some famewh*re in him too- I don't see him as a helpless victim - but in some ways, I do think he underestimated what Bethany was all about when he initially hooked up with her.
Hyperbole much?

Bethenny was on the cover of People after she had the baby with clothes on and holding her daughter. Jason only handles things when she prods him and even then he whines about it and needs her to hold his hand. I think she is still co-dependent and tends to massage him - she tends to praise him for the very little that he actually does. And I think that is where the resentment comes in from him. He knows he doesn't have the mind or personality for this that she does. The passive-agressive comments, reaching for things like her childhood, are a way to keep her down. I'm glad she's finally caught on to this.

As far as Beam goes, they knew exactly who Bethenny is and paid her very well to be associated with her. The Skinnygirl line is wildly succesful.

She's not after the fame, she's after her brand and knows darn well how to perpetuate that. It can be a bit much. She is relentless in making money and pitching herself. I think she's watered down her product by selling everything from Spanx to detoxifyers but my guess is she figures she better make her money while she still has her 15 minutes. I think it might be her undoing, though. People will learn not to trust what she sells if it doesn't live up to their perception of her. I will say I've tried the SkinnyGirl Pina Colada and it was excellent.

She's always been like this. She was successful in LA selling pashminas many years ago and she said the only reason she agreed to do "Housewives" is because she knew it would get her the exposure for Skinnygirl that she wanted. It was a brilliant move and paid off. I think everything she does is meant to make a buck, even her therapy sessions. She's crazy like a fox.

I can see other women being a bit riled about her success but I don't get why they would find Jason to be that great. I find very little that is redeeming about him. I also think he loves, loves the money she makes.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,218,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Hyperbole much?

Bethenny was on the cover of People after she had the baby with clothes on and holding her daughter. Jason only handles things when she prods him and even then he whines about it and needs her to hold his hand. I think she is still co-dependent and tends to massage him - she tends to praise him for the very little that he actually does. And I think that is where the resentment comes in from him. He knows he doesn't have the mind or personality for this that she does. The passive-agressive comments, reaching for things like her childhood, are a way to keep her down. I'm glad she's finally caught on to this.

As far as Beam goes, they knew exactly who Bethenny is and paid her very well to be associated with her. The Skinnygirl line is wildly succesful.

She's not after the fame, she's after her brand and knows darn well how to perpetuate that. It can be a bit much. She is relentless in making money and pitching herself. I think she's watered down her product by selling everything from Spanx to detoxifyers but my guess is she figures she better make her money while she still has her 15 minutes. I think it might be her undoing, though. People will learn not to trust what she sells if it doesn't live up to their perception of her. I will say I've tried the SkinnyGirl Pina Colada and it was excellent.

She's always been like this. She was successful in LA selling pashminas many years ago and she said the only reason she agreed to do "Housewives" is because she knew it would get her the exposure for Skinnygirl that she wanted. It was a brilliant move and paid off. I think everything she does is meant to make a buck, even her therapy sessions. She's crazy like a fox.

I can see other women being a bit riled about her success but I don't get why they would find Jason to be that great. I find very little that is redeeming about him. I also think he loves, loves the money she makes.
I agree, her concern has always been with having a successful business, and she is willing to work as hard as it takes, it's clear that is what matters to her, not fame for it's own sake. If she were a man everyone would praise her ambition, and Jason would just be the wife who helps out sometimes and enjoys the spoils, most likely a wife would be a lot more supportive of such a successful businessperson, while he often seems like a whiney ingrate.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,371,320 times
I stopped watching the show over a year ago and haven't missed is for a second. The kid is already messed up as she has been living in that screwed up environment since birth. The path has been set for her... sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV