Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 04:11 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yes I must say I would have been frantic at Roberts blood all over the place and the dr telling me his ulcer has burst . Can ulcers really burst like that anyways ? don't know never knew anyone that had one sorry . yes I think mary is figuring out where lil marigold figures in here at da .I do think mary does not like the race car driver as much as he likes her and yes she would be marrying down as she put it and I don't think that would do at all . I do like ediths new man he seems to be closely matched to her and she does seem to have come out of her shell as they say .I think carson and mrs carson are just needing to get used to each other in a married way and will be alright .
I still think Mary's tart-like behavior over the years will come back and bite her. I guess I am wishin' and hopin' it does.
Yes, ulcers can burst. had a friend and his blew while he was driving. Not as much as Roberts, a bit over the top but my friend had to get his dash cleaned professionally. Gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 04:17 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Word.

But, I dislike Mary with a passion. She is selfish and rude (and ladies of her day were allowed to be anything but rude.) She is terrible to her own sister for no reason at all (that we have been shown).

And, she is a terrible hypocrite. She could have very easily ended up in Edith's position had her birth control method failed.
Double word

Old 02-01-2016, 04:45 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I don't think Carson was very delicate in his "hints," nor do I think Mrs. Hughes looked grateful. She looked annoyed. I don't blame her, he was being extremely nitpicky, as if dinner in their cottage was going to be as grand as a meal served in the dining room of Downton. He even complained that she didn't warm the plates. Geesh, he is not the Earl of Grantham.

I'm loving Tom's new confidence. He brings a much needed breath of fresh air to Downton. I hope he and Mary don't end up together. He deserves better.

So is Mary going to make trouble for Edith regarding Marigold?
It looked like her cooking attempts were a bit...chewy. She's trying but a few lessons would be in order.

Somehow its not surprising that he noticed she didn't warm the plates. He's just used to that. He didn't need to say that, but if the food was half cooked he should, as he seemed to suggest.

One of the things men have to get used to in a wife or might be wife is their cooking style, since it's not Mom's or the cooks way, even if the wife is a really good cook.

The two references to the real mansion, the Egyption figure in the book and Tom's idea for a repair yard that would make money for the estate. It mirrors the mindset of the current owners who turned the estate into a list of businesses, which is why its still in the family.

If Mary makes trouble for Edith and Marigold, it might be a joy in that she could say yes this is my child, but it would also likely drive her to go to London for good.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:09 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
On a technical note.... (getting away from the soap opera aspect)

The lighting on Downton is absolutely stunning. The soft lighting effect that they use in the parlor(?) during daylight ours is particularly beautiful it what some photographers would refer to as being Rembrantesque (I wouldn't but that's another story).

Any way the lighting, set design and cinematography is just top rate.

Not the best example but the best I could find.

Actually this is better...

Old 02-01-2016, 05:26 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Word.

But, I dislike Mary with a passion. She is selfish and rude (and ladies of her day were allowed to be anything but rude.) She is terrible to her own sister for no reason at all (that we have been shown).

And, she is a terrible hypocrite. She could have very easily ended up in Edith's position had her birth control method failed.
I think you're forgetting that Edith informed the Turkish minister that the death of the diplomat Kemal Pamuk was not what it seemed. He died in Mary's bed. Nasty of Edith and caused Mary much grief including almost being blackmailed into marriage with Sir Richard Carlisle in season two.

Sisters often grow up at odds with each other but Edith took it over the top.

Last edited by Lost Roses; 02-01-2016 at 05:36 PM..

Old 02-01-2016, 06:19 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
On a technical note.... (getting away from the soap opera aspect)

The lighting on Downton is absolutely stunning. The soft lighting effect that they use in the parlor(?) during daylight ours is particularly beautiful it what some photographers would refer to as being Rembrantesque (I wouldn't but that's another story).

Any way the lighting, set design and cinematography is just top rate.

Not the best example but the best I could find.

Actually this is better...
The effect which you have identified also involves the costumes and make up schemes. In the two illustration which you provided we may note that it is mostly light pastels, nothing loud at all, and pale complexions. I saw an interview with Joanne Froggatt (Anna) and she was talking about how the producers make them avoid the sun during filming season, they want the cast to radiate that anemic look.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:07 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Part of Mary's shock when she figures out Marigold's parentage will be the realization that Edith has actually had a life, and for several years now. Someone has cared about for Edith and Edith has suffered a great loss.

Anybody want to bet that Mary will try to scuttle any blossoming romance of Edith and her new man? It could get nasty… but it could also be a turning point for Mary to mature, and for the sisters to become closer.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:30 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I think you're forgetting that Edith informed the Turkish minister that the death of the diplomat Kemal Pamuk was not what it seemed. He died in Mary's bed. Nasty of Edith and caused Mary much grief including almost being blackmailed into marriage with Sir Richard Carlisle in season two.

Sisters often grow up at odds with each other but Edith took it over the top.
No. I didn't forget that. Was Edith"s behavior unprovoked? I think not. Mary was nasty to Edith from the start of the show, and, we could presume, for years. Good on Edith for her revenge.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
I figured out a couple of weeks ago when Robert was holding his belly that his ulcer was going to come back into play - along with the hospital drama. I was pleasantly (?) surprised when I was right. Somebody else mentioned earlier that they were expecting an alien to pop out of his stomach - I was thinking the same thing!!!!

Was anybody besides myself a little perturbed at Cora - who, although she was covered with his blood spatter - stood there pulling on those ridiculous, ugly long gloves up to her armpits- before donning her coat and while still wearing her tiara - before she accompanied the ambulance and family to the hospital along with him? She just never seems to get "flustered" much, IMHO anyway. I realize that was the style back then, but come on, REALLY????

Violet was quite upset and I was glad she was not going to the hospital. I loved it when she fired Denka - but not happy that she gave in and let her come back. That woman is so two-faced - I wonder that Violet hasn't noticed much! Spratt messed up but good. She used him...

I do think Mary will approach Edith about Marigold - but Edith is stronger now - and I think she will defend herself and certainly her child. She has accomplished something Mary has not - but I don't think they will ever have a loving and close bond as sisters. Edith has moved beyond it and I think she will be happy. I'm really going to miss this show - tremendously. Sigh.....

Old 02-02-2016, 12:39 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I figured out a couple of weeks ago when Robert was holding his belly that his ulcer was going to come back into play - along with the hospital drama. I was pleasantly (?) surprised when I was right. Somebody else mentioned earlier that they were expecting an alien to pop out of his stomach - I was thinking the same thing!!!!

Was anybody besides myself a little perturbed at Cora - who, although she was covered with his blood spatter - stood there pulling on those ridiculous, ugly long gloves up to her armpits- before donning her coat and while still wearing her tiara - before she accompanied the ambulance and family to the hospital along with him? She just never seems to get "flustered" much, IMHO anyway. I realize that was the style back then, but come on, REALLY????

Violet was quite upset and I was glad she was not going to the hospital. I loved it when she fired Denka - but not happy that she gave in and let her come back. That woman is so two-faced - I wonder that Violet hasn't noticed much! Spratt messed up but good. She used him...

I do think Mary will approach Edith about Marigold - but Edith is stronger now - and I think she will defend herself and certainly her child. She has accomplished something Mary has not - but I don't think they will ever have a loving and close bond as sisters. Edith has moved beyond it and I think she will be happy. I'm really going to miss this show - tremendously. Sigh.....
The scene with Robert at the table splattering was really disturbing and quite unexpected. I expect a scene like that when I'm watching The Walking Dead, but nothing prepared me for that scene - it was very shocking. I am glad that Robert will be okay though, but I don't think it was necessary to have such a graphic scene especially on a show like Downton.

I agree with your feelings about Cora and her never losing it and always remaining in control. She's his wife and I think most women would completely lose it seeing their husband like that, but there she was cool, detached, putting her gloves on and talking to Mama and the doctor about the hospital thing, which I think is the most confusing part of Downton - I just don't get that brouhaha that the ladies are getting so freaked out about.

I hate Denka, I really do. I don't find her in the least funny or any redeeming feature about her. When the butler said he hoped she wouldn't mention his unfortunate nephew again and she answered back that she would if she needed to in the future, I thought I'm sorry the show is ending but at least I don't have to watch Denka scenes anymore. I wished that Violet stood firm and we saw the back of that woman.

I was wondering why would Mary get so upset if Marigold was Edith's as she is beginning to suspect. So what if the little girl is Edith's? It's terrible that these two sisters can't be friends. Mary is just very nasty to Edith like at the breakfast table when Robert said Edith has a date and Mary said something very snarky, I don't remember what exactly, but it was insulting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV