Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 11:34 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,451,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yes I must say I would have been frantic at Roberts blood all over the place and the dr telling me his ulcer has burst . Can ulcers really burst like that anyways ? don't know never knew anyone that had one sorry . yes I think mary is figuring out where lil marigold figures in here at da .I do think mary does not like the race car driver as much as he likes her and yes she would be marrying down as she put it and I don't think that would do at all . I do like ediths new man he seems to be closely matched to her and she does seem to have come out of her shell as they say .I think carson and mrs carson are just needing to get used to each other in a married way and will be alright .
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 11:58 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,299,742 times
Post war standards may have been relaxed, but servants and employers were not this intertwined.

Julian Fellows should know better. Nor only was he born into an aristocratic family, he wrote the screenplay for Gosford Park, a wonderful film which I believe inspired Downton.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,333,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
I don't think they're regretting the marriage. Just having difficulty transitioning into married life. At their age, it's difficult for anyone to suddenly change their living circumstances and start sharing a space with someone.
Carson was trying ever so carefully to hint she needed some cooking lessons. She's never had to cook, or help so of course she doesn't know how. That must have been a great change for many servants when they left service. Imagine being faced with a heap of raw food and a pan and a stove when you'd barely ever even warmed up tea. And no microwave to cheat with.

She did look very grateful when Mrs. Patmore offered some lessons.

Its funny how if you live with someone and then get married while almost everything else is the same you do feel different and the relationship does feel different.

Am I the only one who still thinks that Mary is still more drawn to Tom, 'brother' or not, than the 'qualified' contenders.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:03 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,873,312 times
Nothing like a little Friday the 13th-esque gore to liven things up...

Old 02-01-2016, 03:25 PM

42,062 posts, read 75,531,007 times
Mary might love Tom as a brother, but she's a snob (by her own admission) and wouldn't be able to overlook Tom's background. She certainly is no Sybil.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:44 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,359,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Am I the only one who still thinks that Mary is still more drawn to Tom, 'brother' or not, than the 'qualified' contenders.
No but I cheated, stay tuned.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 9,124,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Carson was trying ever so carefully to hint she needed some cooking lessons. She's never had to cook, or help so of course she doesn't know how. That must have been a great change for many servants when they left service. Imagine being faced with a heap of raw food and a pan and a stove when you'd barely ever even warmed up tea. And no microwave to cheat with.

She did look very grateful when Mrs. Patmore offered some lessons.

Its funny how if you live with someone and then get married while almost everything else is the same you do feel different and the relationship does feel different..

I don't think Carson was very delicate in his "hints," nor do I think Mrs. Hughes looked grateful. She looked annoyed. I don't blame her, he was being extremely nitpicky, as if dinner in their cottage was going to be as grand as a meal served in the dining room of Downton. He even complained that she didn't warm the plates. Geesh, he is not the Earl of Grantham.

I'm loving Tom's new confidence. He brings a much needed breath of fresh air to Downton. I hope he and Mary don't end up together. He deserves better.

So is Mary going to make trouble for Edith regarding Marigold?

Old 02-01-2016, 03:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,402,400 times
I'm still loving the line from Mary when they were discussing education:

"All we learned was French, dance steps and prejudice."

She's a chip off her granny's block.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:52 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,299,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I don't think Carson was very delicate in his "hints," nor do I think Mrs. Hughes looked grateful. She looked annoyed. I don't blame her, he was being extremely nitpicky, as if dinner in their cottage was going to be as grand as a meal served in the dining room of Downton. He even complained that she didn't warm the plates. Geesh, he is not the Earl of Grantham.

I'm loving Tom's new confidence. He brings a much needed breath of fresh air to Downton. I hope he and Mary don't end up together. He deserves better.

So is Mary going to make trouble for Edith regarding Marigold?
Word.

But, I dislike Mary with a passion. She is selfish and rude (and ladies of her day were allowed to be anything but rude.) She is terrible to her own sister for no reason at all (that we have been shown).

And, she is a terrible hypocrite. She could have very easily ended up in Edith's position had her birth control method failed.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:59 PM

7,269 posts, read 7,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Word.

But, I dislike Mary with a passion. She is selfish and rude (and ladies of her day were allowed to be anything but rude.) She is terrible to her own sister for no reason at all (that we have been shown).

And, she is a terrible hypocrite. She could have very easily ended up in Edith's position had her birth control method failed.
If Mary had become unintentionally pregnant I suspect she would have married quickly and had an "early baby".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV