Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 11:17 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,164,811 times

Advertisements

There should be some sort of scale employed to measure the flexible sympathy factor we feel for the characters. Sliding down from previously higher ranking have been:

1. Carson...his imperial and insensitive treatment of his new wife has transformed him into a prime magnitude d-bag.
2. Daisy...we used to root for her class rising ambitions, but recently she has become a shrill and selfish to the point where audience members would like to gag her.
3. Mary...she has been a yo-yo of likability but currently is in an impossible to please her state of mind. There was a point where her rancid attitude toward Edith appeared to be thawing, but now she is back to her spiteful and dismissive tone toward her sister.
4. Bates and Anna...went from being the show's most sympathetic characters to annoying plot devices during the whole Mr. Green business...to now not so terribly interesting characters.

Rising from previously low points:

1. Barrow...largely because everyone else seems to be ganging up on him despite his improved behavior.
2. Edith...after years where her main thing was feeling sorry for herself, and losing points for her foolish giving away, and then taking back her baby, she now seems the one Grantham with the most stable outlook and appears well set up to deal with a changing world. Mary's renewed hostile attitude toward her helps inflate her sympathy factor.
3. Molesley...has gone from the perception of timid clown who let everyone walk all over him, to quite helpful, intelligent and competent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 11:22 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,015,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
There should be some sort of scale employed to measure the flexible sympathy factor we feel for the characters. Sliding down from previously higher ranking have been:

1. Carson...his imperial and insensitive treatment of his new wife has transformed him into a prime magnitude d-bag.
2. Daisy...we used to root for her class rising ambitions, but recently she has become a shrill and selfish to the point where audience members would like to gag her.
3. Mary...she has been a yo-yo of likability but currently is in an impossible to please her state of mind. There was a point where her rancid attitude toward Edith appeared to be thawing, but now she is back to her spiteful and dismissive tone toward her sister.
4. Bates and Anna...went from being the show's most sympathetic characters to annoying plot devices during the whole Mr. Green business...to now not so terribly interesting characters.

Rising from previously low points:

1. Barrow...largely because everyone else seems to be ganging up on him despite his improved behavior.
2. Edith...after years where her main thing was feeling sorry for herself, and losing points for her foolish giving away, and then taking back her baby, she now seems the one Grantham with the most stable outlook and appears well set up to deal with a changing world. Mary's renewed hostile attitude toward her helps inflate her sympathy factor.
3. Molesley...has gone from the perception of timid clown who let everyone walk all over him, to quite helpful, intelligent and competent

I agree with all of this completely. I also think Tom Branson has become more likable now that he is more confident.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:34 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,164,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I agree with all of this completely. I also think Tom Branson has become more likable now that he is more confident.
I think Tom's general likability is somewhat mitigated by his now having seemed to have abandoned all of his lower class principles in favor of the fat life of a landed gentry squire. And "fat" is appropriate whether employed literally or figuratively.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:39 AM

29,758 posts, read 34,449,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I think Tom's general likability is somewhat mitigated by his now having seemed to have abandoned all of his lower class principles in favor of the fat life of a landed gentry squire. And "fat" is appropriate whether employed literally or figuratively.
In this week's TLo recap they refer to Tom's character being relegated to "kindly maiden aunt", which is spot on: Downton Abbey: Everyone Is Awful | Tom & Lorenzo Fabulous & Opinionated

Old 02-08-2016, 11:40 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,116,362 times
this whole last season is horrible is it not ? I'm very disappointed in it and cannot stomach how mr carson has acted towards elsie hughes carson his wife . Poor bates he does have his pride does he not ? I'm so glad they are going to have a child. I think George will grow up to be a rather nice man despite having mary for a mother . I do like ediths new bf he seems really happy with her and I'm sure he would welcome marigold despite what mary said . I guess she does not understand that some men welcome becoming a father no matter how they become one . Poor mary she really does have a corn cob you know where .

Old 02-08-2016, 12:04 PM

28,109 posts, read 30,014,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Barrow offed himself... right there in the kitchen.

Time for violet to go croak or join the new world.

Daisy needs to be fed to the old man's hogs.

Go Isobel, Edith, Mrs. Patmore, Molesley and Tom.

Mary has the perpetual rod up her keester. Never to be removed.

Mr. Carson needs a cast iron skillet across the back of the head.
OMG! I've been reading all of the posts written since last night's episode aired. It seems you and I pretty much see eye to eye about every character on the show.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:06 PM

28,109 posts, read 30,014,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post

Mr. Carson needs a cast iron skillet across the back of the head.
OMG! I've been reading all of the posts written since last night's episode aired. It seems you and I pretty much see eye to eye about every character on the show.

You left out Carson, though. I don't know what you think of him, but I haven't liked the man since the beginning. He feels so superior to the rest of the staff. Yeah, he's the butler, but he's still just a servant. Finally, he gets himself a good wife and immediately starts treating her like $hit. I am not hoping things work out well for him.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:28 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,284,535 times
Regarding the tour, I think it was done to show how utterly for granted the Grantham take their lives. They cannot fathom why anyone would be interested in their house - to them it's just a house.

Cora has NO excuse, she's American born. She should be curious about the history, at least.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:32 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,355,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

You left out Carson, though. I don't know what you think of him, but I haven't liked the man since the beginning. He feels so superior to the rest of the staff. Yeah, he's the butler, but he's still just a servant. Finally, he gets himself a good wife and immediately starts treating her like $hit. I am not hoping things work out well for him.

No, Carson was last on my list!! I had to include that dope.

Originally Posted by brava4

Mr. Carson needs a cast iron skillet across the back of the head

Old 02-08-2016, 12:36 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,338,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I disagree completely. Thomas probably was aware of people finding him distasteful as soon as he realized he was a homosexual.
Remarkably enough the only person that might be guilty of that is Carson, no one else cares. What has made Thomas so despicable to me and pretty much everyone else on and off screen is his constant plots to undermine anyone in ear shot.

Lord Grantham succinctly pointed out Thomas's failings after trying to undercut the former maid when he told Thomas to take a cue from how Carson has developed loyalty within the staff, when Thomas thought all that was necessary was having a seat at the head of the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV