Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 12:06 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Thanks, I'm okay with it now. Some viewers have different ideas about the focus of the show, I can understand that. I'm always more interested in the characters, their backstories, why they do what they do, and the show sure gives us some fascinating characters to think about. Who the killer is has never been my main focus, but I can understand why that's not the case for everyone. Yes, I do believe things don't always come across well in writing.

The characters seem very realistic to me, although these people are in very extreme circumstances. A lot of people are messed up, serious money struggles usually makes things much worse. Callie's mom definitely comes from real life, I actually do believe she cares, she's just such a mess herself. She doesn't know how to deal with life, she can barely take care of herself, and likely was not taught life skills, so being a proper mother is very difficult for her, Callie becoming a teen would only exacerbate all her issues.

Do people say they are dumb at solving crimes? That seems ridiculous, solving murders is not easy.
Detshen

I enjoy delving too, understanding all of the why's. Don't know if this is allowed but they dig in a little deeper on TWOP. Haven't been there lately but for Homeland last season, they had conversation on most characters. You can have full discussion on everything about each character and try to figure out each.
Some people were angry last season because the crime wasn't solved but I loved the ending of Season 1. There were a lot of red herrings so maybe people decided Linden and Holder were dumb but I saw it as what a case would be like for a real life detective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Detshen

I enjoy delving too, understanding all of the why's. Don't know if this is allowed but they dig in a little deeper on TWOP. Haven't been there lately but for Homeland last season, they had conversation on most characters. You can have full discussion on everything about each character and try to figure out each.
Some people were angry last season because the crime wasn't solved but I loved the ending of Season 1. There were a lot of red herrings so maybe people decided Linden and Holder were dumb but I saw it as what a case would be like for a real life detective.
Cool, thanks.

Ah yes, the backlash! I was bummed that they didn't renew it until Netflix became involved. I wasn't upset that they didn't reveal the killer, but I was upset that they had previously stated in interviews that it was going to be completed in one season, and then at the begininning of season 2 they said Rosie's case would finish after a few episodes and a new case would start. I don't think they meant it to be a lie, I believe they meant well and just felt they could do more with the characters, and were probably very caught up with them, and the actors who play them, but season 2 went a bit off track for me at times, things like Rosie's mom leaving and getting swindled. I don't think they would dare not complete this case this season. The creators would need bulletproof vests, lol.

I guess people are to used to "superhero" cops who solve a case in an hour, but that is not reality, it often takes years.

I wish Homeland season 2 would come to Amazon, I've been waiting, and waiting.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:59 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I hope we learn Bullet's backstory. It seems like they are making it clear that she didn't grow up like Callie and some of the other poor kids, she's had stability and education while growing up, but for some reason she had to, or chose to be on the streets.

We had a lot of street kids in my beach neighborhood in Socal, they would come through from Portland or Seattle, I used to talk to them, some were sweet, some were little ****s. There are some who have no other choice (those are the ones I ache for, the ones I knew growing up in Detroit) some just got caught up in drugs, couldn't stand their parents rules, or were looking for an adventure. I don't know who Bullet is, something is up with her, I hope we learn her backstory.
I hope so too. Didn't she mention recently that she had money because her Dad sent her some? I hope we get to find out what's up there.

At one point in my life I was one of those kids that ran away for pretty stupid reasons, and spent some time (briefly) living on my own, couch surfing, occasionally crashing on a bus bench. I look back on it now and it's embarrassing, really, when so many others out there have such tragic reasons for being on their own at that age!

This season feels different to me and I am liking it more than the first two for some reason. I think the whole Larsen's story, while realistic and believable in the aftermath of that kind of tragedy, was just a bit TOO much to stomach, so sad and hopeless for most of those 2 seasons.

Quote:
I guess people are to used to "superhero" cops who solve a case in an hour, but that is not reality, it often takes years.
True for me! I started watching this after finishing up the most recent season of Law & Order SVU where everything is solved in one hour, two at most, so it was a tough transition but now I am loving this show.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:39 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I hope so too. Didn't she mention recently that she had money because her Dad sent her some? I hope we get to find out what's up there.

At one point in my life I was one of those kids that ran away for pretty stupid reasons, and spent some time (briefly) living on my own, couch surfing, occasionally crashing on a bus bench. I look back on it now and it's embarrassing, really, when so many others out there have such tragic reasons for being on their own at that age!

This season feels different to me and I am liking it more than the first two for some reason. I think the whole Larsen's story, while realistic and believable in the aftermath of that kind of tragedy, was just a bit TOO much to stomach, so sad and hopeless for most of those 2 seasons.

True for me! I started watching this after finishing up the most recent season of Law & Order SVU where everything is solved in one hour, two at most, so it was a tough transition but now I am loving this show.
I missed that about her dad sending her money, that's very interesting, so she's still in touch with her parents, or dad at least. I'm fascinated by her, I don't know what her story is, I'm forcing myself to not make assumptions until we learn more.

Being young is hard, things can feel sooo intense, at the time I'm sure it didn't feel stupid, and felt like something you needed to do, it was probably terrifying for your family though. It's best not to judge the youth (even ourselves) through our adult eyes. I think once we have grown through it, and become wiser we can't ever really go back to those feelings and know what it was really like. When I was a teen, I did some crazy, and in retrospect, scary things I'm embarrassed about, that's often just part of being young.

I like this season a lot more too, I felt for the Larson's horrible loss, but we didn't really get to know Rosie. I know it was supposed to be about how the police see a victim, but the police are always looking at pictures and videos, and constantly talking about the victim, we mostly just saw the pain in her family, while she remained a mystery. With Callie, and the other kids I'm very invested in what happens with them.

Last edited by detshen; 06-29-2013 at 10:00 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 02:10 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,704 times
Tension is building...pretty sure it's not pastor Rick, to early in the season.
I might go with Linden's old partner, maybe he was having an affair with the little boy's mother.
Any theories?

Old 07-02-2013, 03:20 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,757,464 times
My favorite quote last week...."hey vintage playa, got any smokes?" Lol, that was funny.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:30 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,336 times
Did anyone pick up the subtext? When Linden was arguing with her boss in his office, it seemed there was a moment where he was bringing up some old issues. It almost sounded like Linden had been pregnant with his baby and had an abortion (or miscarriage). The dialogue was very subtle and I might be totally misreading it. Anyone?

Old 07-02-2013, 03:46 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,769 times
Quote:
I might go with Linden's old partner, maybe he was having an affair with the little boy's mother.
Any theories?
I have a feeling we will be seeing more of Seward's father, but the season is only halfway through so it's hard to know who is just a red herring at this point.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM

400 posts, read 749,961 times
Quote:
Any theories?
The last show sure ended making it look that way. But it was too obvious so he's not the killer but hiding something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
My favorite quote last week...."hey vintage playa, got any smokes?" Lol, that was funny.
That was a smile tossed in among the dreariness of cold and dampness and killing of kids. I like to see Holder angling down the street with or without smokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Did anyone pick up the subtext? When Linden was arguing with her boss in his office, it seemed there was a moment where he was bringing up some old issues. It almost sounded like Linden had been pregnant with his baby and had an abortion (or miscarriage). The dialogue was very subtle and I might be totally misreading it. Anyone?
What I picked up was how very very close to him she was and looking at his mouth!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times
I thought they were going to kiss.

Irresistable passion and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV