Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:22 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,036 posts, read 6,582,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Did some looking on Amazon. There are twelve books.

1. Ross Poldark
2. Demelza
3. Jeremy Poldark
4. Warleggen
5. The Black Moon
6. The Four Swans
7. The Angry Tide
8. The Stranger from the Sea
9. The Millers Dance
10. The Loving Cup
11. The Twisted Sword
12. Bella Poldark

All of them are listed as available on kindle.
OK, thanks. I will look (check) again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 08:11 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,378,962 times
There are actuallly whole books about individuals?

Old 08-06-2015, 06:18 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
OK, thanks. I will look (check) again.
I got the full list on amazon by using the author's name and then the format. Glad to help. I tried to read some of the paperback from the 70's but its handle carefully. I'd like the full set.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:11 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,592,438 times
Default Poldark (2015 ) vs. Orignal 1975 series | TV review (Part One)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBofl3S4kLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGV4jlIIEWQ

I pretty much agree with her. I like the first version better as well.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:59 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,535,068 times
^ I guess I dislike the original for the same reasons that the youtube reviewer liked it. Stagy, stuffy, campy, over the top amateur acting and poor production values. It's hilariously bad at times.

Given the 40 years and difference in budget it's probably unfair to compare the two.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:58 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,627,273 times
I loved the original series, poor production values (which I generally didn't notice) and all. The only storyline flaws were the change from the book in that Demelza (on the TV show) was pregnant when she married Ross (with a big drama about that, and the implication that it was the reason he married her, rather than his being a man of honor who felt he had betrayed both of them by sleeping with a servant girl under his protection and wanted to make it right - the difference being that there was no time constraint such as an expanding pregnant belly to push Ross into marrying Demelza in the book and in the current series); and the last two minutes of the entire series (they should not have let George have the last words in the series, that's not how it happened in the book either).

I thought the best arc in the original series was the Drake/Morwenna/Whitworth story (later books); which was at times sweet and charming and at other times utterly horrifying; the actress who played Morwenna was terrific in the role.

And I loved Angharad Rees as Demelza.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:29 AM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
^ I guess I dislike the original for the same reasons that the youtube reviewer liked it. Stagy, stuffy, campy, over the top amateur acting and poor production values. It's hilariously bad at times.

Given the 40 years and difference in budget it's probably unfair to compare the two.
I think that's very true. Thing is, back when the first version was done, that was the default sytle of British drama, at least the ones which made it across the pond. Upstairs Downstairs was remaid with a story which took place after the Bellamy's left it emptied. It was good, but had a very different energy. There was a reserved distance in the way the characters were played in the origional. It seemed missing in the remake. Back when Poldark was made, they didn't do color and that has a huge effect. And most of the series then were a lot of sitting down in highly decorated rooms talking. The Forsyth Saga then was even more carefully 'proper' since part of the theme was class and propriety. The new one retains that, but its much watered down in much of it.

I like both productions of Poldark. Robin Ellis and the actors who played his cousin and wife were spot on. I think the actor who playes Warleggen in the new one is better. He comes across more as someone always raised to act as if he belonged in the class his family has made it to where there was more 'corseness' in the origional. This is mirrored in the books. I like Aiden Turner's version of Ross.

The difference really is in the style of the production. The remake is made as tv shows are today. They don't dwell on multiple little details, but the flow of the story. The origional had more talking and less flow. There were many scenes with Ross and his solicitor talking about the copper company, for instance. It just is presented as a fact in the new one. People would have questioned the style of the new one then, just as now they seem to dislike the seventies version for being so seventies.

What also makes a difference is if you've read the books. Some novels say Joe walked into a dark room and sat on a chair. You get to fill in the colors and what the chair looks like. The Poldark novels are a feast of details. All the little spaces are filled in with the small things, how the chair looked but how it moved and how firm the seat and the tiny little flowers on the covering. Winston Graham painted pictures with his words in so much detail you could see it. And they don't rush along at a fast pace. They leisurly tell the story, with more told in scenes rather than references. And they create this image of the place too, the wind and the sea and the culture amid a seachange.

It's hard to tell if the series, either of them, do that well or bad since the books have already done it for me. But I can plug in the rich detail of the book and fill in what might be missing.

I'd say I like both, as different aspects of the same story.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 PM

11,678 posts, read 12,825,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I loved the original series, poor production values (which I generally didn't notice) and all. The only storyline flaws were the change from the book in that Demelza (on the TV show) was pregnant when she married Ross (with a big drama about that, and the implication that it was the reason he married her, rather than his being a man of honor who felt he had betrayed both of them by sleeping with a servant girl under his protection and wanted to make it right - the difference being that there was no time constraint such as an expanding pregnant belly to push Ross into marrying Demelza in the book and in the current series); and the last two minutes of the entire series (they should not have let George have the last words in the series, that's not how it happened in the book either).

I thought the best arc in the original series was the Drake/Morwenna/Whitworth story (later books); which was at times sweet and charming and at other times utterly horrifying; the actress who played Morwenna was terrific in the role.

And I loved Angharad Rees as Demelza.
I agree with you. Even my kids who watched the original series and were born way after it was made, loved it and thought the production was beautiful. The older British period series are more theatrical, more reminiscent of live theater. Robin Ellis and most of the actors from Poldark series 1 are from the theater and performed in the very esteemed British Shakespeare companies. The acting style was subtle. They didn't have to hit you over the head with it to make a point and I presume that younger viewers who are used to movies consider that wooden. I consider it polished and it is much more difficult to convey your message with reserve. I wish today's actors were more like them, including the actors in the recent Poldark series.

However, IMO, the books blow away both series.

I read the original series of books many years ago, then re-read about 20 years ago. I read the new ones, about the next generation-the children of Ross and Demelza after Julia, Valentine, and Geoffrey Charles, as they were published 20-15 years or so ago. They were enjoyable, but not at the level as the original books. Ross and Demelza, and George are in them, but have a somewhat smaller role in the storytelling. As I mentioned in other posts, they made a TV movie/series about the newer books with different actors, but it was so bad that they didn't continue the series. You can find it online.

One of Angharad's real-life sons when he was a little boy played her son in the series. I don't think it was the one who died, but not sure. Stefan Gates went on to become a famous chef and TV chef star. Sad that many of the actors from the first series have now passed.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:06 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,592,438 times
I thought the series was going to continue in a month, this Sept. but I see they are making us wait a year before it continues again. I gave my sister the first series so she won't need to wait. It was bad to have it end with Ross going to jail. My sister said, "They are going to make us wait for next year to find out what happened!!!"

That is good marketing though since many will buy the first series to find out what happened.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:19 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,378,962 times
I have lost track of the reason George and his Uncle hate Ross so much. Is it hate for the Poldark's in general or just Ross? Can anyone refresh my memory? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV