Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:22 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,123 times

Advertisements

I have loved this show and look forward to the next series which I believe is currently under production.

I tried watching the original on Netflix but it was dreadful. The acting was so wooden and the women looked very 1970's. Really disappointed. Aiden Turner is a FAR better Ross Poldark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 09:31 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
I have really enjoyed it too. Looking forward to it coming back!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
[/b]

The series is poorly written. By leaving out these elements, it simplifies the complexities of the relationships between the characters and the class conflicts. I don't like how they eliminated the humor that was in the books and the first series. I don't like the portrayal of Elizabeth and Demelza who have been vastly changed. I don't like how they have minimized the complex dark character of Dr. Enys and Judd, both relegated to very small parts so far. They also simplified the Karen character and the actress looks too 21st centruy. Beautiful cinematography, not just the scenery, but the lighting and the artistic editing. Good score and Poldark's character has for the most part, followed the essence of the character in the books. Also, in this Reader's Digest version, they cut out so much interesting information about mining and how business was conducted back then. The book, of course could afford to be more detailed, but the first series, being longer, reflected the business side of 18th century mining better than this version. I miss the humor from Judd and Prudie and Sir Hugh's lust for Demelza. They didn't even show Sir Hugh's step ma with her famous line "In my day, when you were ruined, you stayed ruined. Meh. Lousy dialog writing and seems like a bad soapy Jane Austen than a Winston Graham.
I prefer the first one for the most part. It was longer and had more character development. Some characters are not there but for a few scenes so how can you know what they are doing? I wish they had taken more time with it but like I said, they have other shows now so they hurried through this one.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:43 PM

‘Poldark’ Season Finale Recap: Everything Is The Worst For Ross & Demelza! | Decider | Where To Stream Movies & Shows on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant, HBO Go

Here is a finale recap, it's kind of silly but oh well.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:02 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I'm trying to remember if the origional series didn't leave Ross in such a precarious moment. Time for some MAJOR spin doctors...

I don't think most of us would like to live back then when 'ruin' meant, well, deep dark choices. Debtor's prison which you might someday get out of, otherwise be on display as a bad example, with your family. Or the Poorhouse which was essencially slavery. I think many today would be in deep deep darkness.

Losing their daughter made me cry even though I knew. Last month I lost three pets to a sudden something on a sunday morning, no vets open anywhere, so I could feel that sense of being helpless.

I have the dvd's from the first series, and while its much more in depth, there is a lot of very british face to face scenes. They could do with more in this, but it tells the story well just the same. Best thing is read the books. They are like a time machine to early 19th century Corwall with all the rich details a book can give.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:53 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
I am going to look for the books in Kindle format when I leave here. I love the show so I might as well read while awaiting the next season.

Back.... OK confused. There seems to be six books that make up the whole series, correct? Few are offered in Kindle format unfortunately.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I am going to look for the books in Kindle format when I leave here. I love the show so I might as well read while awaiting the next season.

Back.... OK confused. There seems to be six books that make up the whole series, correct? Few are offered in Kindle format unfortunately.
Go to http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/ and you can buy the books and dvds on there.

http://www.shoppbs.org/family/index....origkw=poldark

I bought the old series on Amazon. I think you can still watch the last installment online until, I think it is Sunday. Just a short time. Of course, those who can tape off their TVs have the whole series taped.

There are 7 books, at least that is what I found at a garage sale a few years ago. I bought them all since that is all they had. That may be the whole series but I don't know.

Last edited by janelle144; 08-05-2015 at 01:54 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post

According to the list in the one I can find, published years ago, there are six. They are Ross Poldark, Demelza, Jeremy Poldark, Warleggen, The Black Moon, The Four Swans. There might be more but this was published when the origional series was showing.

Demelza begins with the birth of her daughter, so the new first series extends past the first book.

The books follow the lives of Demelza and Ross and the rest of the family, and the lives of their children.

The really wonderful thing with them is they are filled with small images of life in that time. They make this much fuller picture of the time, the good and the bad and all the things which are changing, than any tv series can. I think reading the books and then watching the show again you see it different since the small reminders bring back the images in the books and make it a fuller place.

I suspect there might be another book, but it may have been written later.

Even if you can't find them on kindle, read them. The great thing about the story is its about the sea changed that gave birth to the modern world.

I'm going to replace the one I found since its in rather delicate condition and keep it as a second copy.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:41 PM

Did some looking on Amazon. There are twelve books.

1. Ross Poldark
2. Demelza
3. Jeremy Poldark
4. Warleggen
5. The Black Moon
6. The Four Swans
7. The Angry Tide
8. The Stranger from the Sea
9. The Millers Dance
10. The Loving Cup
11. The Twisted Sword
12. Bella Poldark

All of them are listed as available on kindle.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 AM

I have the first 7 books. Didn't know about the others. I guess it's about the children so it goes to the next generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV