Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:53 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,983,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I found an interview with the cast on you tube which was very interesting. The best story told was about the episode when the ship is driven into the beach with the storm, and the locals relieve it of anything they can haul out.

Apparently it was written much differently, but they hired locals for the part. In addition to many stories of longer ago, ships still end up beached, and there is a method when it happens. Everyone beach and helps rescue anyone alive, and usually strip the ship. So they have everything in place to start shooting and give them the go and the hired cast starts off doing what they'd do.... Aware that it isn't going to stop them, they shoot it in true shipwreak style.
Robin Ellis blogged about the filming of this scene in the first "Poldark" - the local extras hired were from two rival villages, unbeknownst to the casting director, and the fistfights which broke out, intended to be over the washed-ashore cargo, were the real thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Robin Ellis blogged about the filming of this scene in the first "Poldark" - the local extras hired were from two rival villages, unbeknownst to the casting director, and the fistfights which broke out, intended to be over the washed-ashore cargo, were the real thing!
Given the impact on his Poldark's life, they couldn't have had a happier accident. The whole scene, with the chaos and fights and storm, really came off as authentic and out of control.

This small ship got stuck on the breakwater out in California in San Pedro, where my grandmother lived a block or so away, and despite the ship being posted as dangerous, and a barrier put up, and you got arrested if you got caught, by the time they could retrieve it there wasn't much left. People will be people.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:22 AM

11,678 posts, read 12,825,095 times
Quote:
I found an interview with the cast on you tube which was very interesting. The best story told was about the episode when the ship is driven into the beach with the storm, and the locals relieve it of anything they can haul out.

Apparently it was written much differently, but they hired locals for the part. In addition to many stories of longer ago, ships still end up beached, and there is a method when it happens. Everyone rushes to the beach and helps rescue anyone alive, and usually strip the ship. So they have everything in place to start shooting and give them the go and the hired cast starts off doing what they'd do.... Aware that it isn't going to stop them, they shoot it in true shipwreak style.
That was one of my favorite episodes and when Judd called out "Pickings for all" getting Ross in a lot of trouble later.

I sometimss use that phrase when I'm serving a favorite food or everyone is grabbing at a box of cookies.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:07 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,821,568 times
More on the man who would be """'Poldaaaark'"""...

Poldark producer say they didn't audition Adrian Turner shirtless | Daily Mail Online

...including an interview and a somewhat view of the salt water bath.

Last edited by metroxian; 04-21-2015 at 09:31 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 12:42 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,592,438 times
Quote:
Amazon is running a special this week, the complete origional series for 35 dollars and IN US format. I've wanted another copy for some time, but its been so expensive. I look forward to its arrival and the marathon.
Thank you for posting this, I bought them as well.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:33 PM

My discs arrived yesterday. I recorded a bunch of tv and was going to watch it but decided to watch the first episode..... alas I got some catching up to do. Watched the first five :-)

I'm sure the new one will be good. The picture will be widescreen. Music will be better. But they did such a beautiful job of telling the story, and I felt myself transported back to 18th century Cornwall, and I hope the new one does as good a job.

I'd love to see the later books dramatized which were left out. Morwenna and her sad story I remember very well, but I don't remember if it was from it playing in my head as I read the book or if it was in the show.

Watching them crawl through the mine made me feel all ewwyey after finding out it was indeed an old abandoned mine full of water and stink and who knows what else, and they chose to use it for its authenticity. Now THATS dedication.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
My discs arrived yesterday. I recorded a bunch of tv and was going to watch it but decided to watch the first episode..... alas I got some catching up to do. Watched the first five :-)

I'm sure the new one will be good. The picture will be widescreen. Music will be better. But they did such a beautiful job of telling the story, and I felt myself transported back to 18th century Cornwall, and I hope the new one does as good a job.

I'd love to see the later books dramatized which were left out. Morwenna and her sad story I remember very well, but I don't remember if it was from it playing in my head as I read the book or if it was in the show.

Watching them crawl through the mine made me feel all ewwyey after finding out it was indeed an old abandoned mine full of water and stink and who knows what else, and they chose to use it for its authenticity. Now THATS dedication.
They did some dramatization of the later books and it was awful. They were discontinued and I think the very last Graham book was written after that series aired in the UK.

I wonder if the discs are the edited version that was available during the mid-2000s or they restored all of the cut out material.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
They did some dramatization of the later books and it was awful. They were discontinued and I think the very last Graham book was written after that series aired in the UK.

I wonder if the discs are the edited version that was available during the mid-2000s or they restored all of the cut out material.
It says as seen on Masterpiece theater. One reviewer says its incomplete. What I saw of the beginning looked right though. Honestly after reading the books and playing them back in my head, I can't remember if they were all on tv or not.

Are you refering to the parts after Francis died and she married Warleggen or later? The later books were about his sons and their children.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:50 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,720,665 times
Watched the new version of Poldark last night. My sister has a crush on Ross already.

There's news of some new series, 'The Enfield Haunting' with Timothy Spall, 'Foyle's War' season 8 & 'The Last Kingdom' which is based on the Bernard Cornwells "The Saxon Stories" looking good for this year.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
It says as seen on Masterpiece theater. One reviewer says its incomplete. What I saw of the beginning looked right though. Honestly after reading the books and playing them back in my head, I can't remember if they were all on tv or not.

Are you refering to the parts after Francis died and she married Warleggen or later? The later books were about his sons and their children.
I had all of the episodes taped directly from the TV. Sometime later, I bought them on VHS. They removed the opening credits from each episode and there were scenes cut from some of the episodes, definitely. When they created the DVD version, are they like the VHS tapes where the credits for each episode removed? If so, I'll bet they did not restore the removed scenes. Years ago, someone uploaded Poldark on Youtube from their DVD set and the scenes that were missing on the VHS version were still missing. Not every episode, but some key scenes like a particularly tender moment that I remember between Ross and Demelza and another interesting scene with Ross and Elizabeth. They didn't affect the plot, but they were well-acted wonderful scenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV