Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,349,828 times

Advertisements

Wow, I'm impressed. I like the new Demeza. She's played slightly different than Anghart Rees did, but it works. And I'm impressed with the new Ross. I wonder if they will make any mention that he was in a French prison while he had 'dissapeared'.

It seems like an excellent portrait of the time and the changes. The way the Poldark family is pleased to have the Warleggens as equals, but not really, is interesting. Elisabeth is dead on. I'm very much looking forward to the rest. I think this one would make a great dvd set companion to the 77 version.

I really wish they had someone doing Alister Cooke before, explaining a few bits of background though.

And does anyone know if the mine the crawl into is the real mine they used on the origional show, complete with bugs, slime and rock falls which lent such authenticity to the actors actions as they were inside it? It does look the same.

Back then, though, we didn't know Demelza had named her dog after a Cardassian tailer/tinkor/spy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 11:31 PM

11,677 posts, read 12,818,544 times
I haven't decided if I like this new version. I wish they had just made a version of the newer books. They did, but the TV series was terrible and it was an epic fail with the critics and with the British audience. Those later novels about the next generation could have been used instead of remaking something that was already very good.

The story was changed and pretty sure that Graham would not be happy about that. They are rushing through it. In the first version, Demelza was not introduced until the second episode. She was supposed to be 13 and they left out how she had stolen food and her hair was cut off in punishment. This was in the book, too. The fiesty younger Demelza was much closer to the character in the novel, except for the red hair Verity was supposed to be in her late 20s, an old maid. The actress playing her seems too young for this part, although I do like her in the many other numerous period dramas that she has appeared in. The Poldarks and the Warleggans were not enemies at the beginning. This is true to the book and the first series. Ross was never in a French prison. Maybe you are thinking of Dr. Enys.

I don't think this Jud Paytner pulls off the character as well. So far, this drama seems to be very serious. I hope that they will include all of the humor from the books and the first series. Jud was the comic relief. They also seem to be very light on Cornish accents, so far. I can't remember if Aunt Agatha appeared in the Ross novel at the beginning. She certainly was not in the beginning episodes in the original TV version and she never lived at Trenwith. Not that it matters, but it seems the writers are pushing the pace here. I like the new Ross, Francis, his father, George Warleggan. The scenery is beautiful.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I haven't decided if I like this new version. I wish they had just made a version of the newer books. They did, but the TV series was terrible and it was an epic fail with the critics and with the British audience. Those later novels about the next generation could have been used instead of remaking something that was already very good.

The story was changed and pretty sure that Graham would not be happy about that. They are rushing through it. In the first version, Demelza was not introduced until the second episode. She was supposed to be 13 and they left out how she had stolen food and her hair was cut off in punishment. This was in the book, too. The fiesty younger Demelza was much closer to the character in the novel, except for the red hair Verity was supposed to be in her late 20s, an old maid. The actress playing her seems too young for this part, although I do like her in the many other numerous period dramas that she has appeared in. The Poldarks and the Warleggans were not enemies at the beginning. This is true to the book and the first series. Ross was never in a French prison. Maybe you are thinking of Dr. Enys.

I don't think this Jud Paytner pulls off the character as well. So far, this drama seems to be very serious. I hope that they will include all of the humor from the books and the first series. Jud was the comic relief. They also seem to be very light on Cornish accents, so far. I can't remember if Aunt Agatha appeared in the Ross novel at the beginning. She certainly was not in the beginning episodes in the original TV version and she never lived at Trenwith. Not that it matters, but it seems the writers are pushing the pace here. I like the new Ross, Francis, his father, George Warleggan. The scenery is beautiful.
I don't remember Ross or the other 'english' upper class, and merchants with money, having much of a cornish accent. It was the villagers and servants. We haven't seem many of them yet. I think Aunt Agatha was in the book, not the series. I'm guessing they are rushing the start a bit since there aren't as many episodes.

I believe in the book Ross had been shot in the ankle and a French doctor had saved his leg, and he was held by the French as a prisoner, not the Americans, but he'd been in a french run prisoner of war camp. Apparently the French didn't share names. I liked how he explained to that he was different now since he'd been 'educated'.

Verity seems younger, but as a family without money she can marry someone who wants that 'good family' tie but she won't get the estate, and even with money not much of that. So she isn't up on top of the list on the marriage connection list. I do like the way the actress carries that reality into the way she presents herself.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:12 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,377,127 times
I like this, didn't see the first version. But the woman who plays Elizabeth really doesn't fit for me. When I see Ross and she together, I don't see passion at all. She isn't what I would have picked for the character.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I like this, didn't see the first version. But the woman who plays Elizabeth really doesn't fit for me. When I see Ross and she together, I don't see passion at all. She isn't what I would have picked for the character.
She was written like that even in the books. She's a daughter from an old line of aristocry, and while they'd come down a bit in the world money wise, not in standards. She's acting like she's taught to act. And her family badly needs connections and Francis gives better ones than a rebel like Ross.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:51 PM

No, it isn't her acting I am responding to, about Elizabeth, it is her looks. I would have seen someone softer. She also seems taller than he is and her features are just off. I get the acting.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:32 PM

11,677 posts, read 12,818,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I don't remember Ross or the other 'english' upper class, and merchants with money, having much of a cornish accent. It was the villagers and servants. We haven't seem many of them yet. I think Aunt Agatha was in the book, not the series. I'm guessing they are rushing the start a bit since there aren't as many episodes.

I believe in the book Ross had been shot in the ankle and a French doctor had saved his leg, and he was held by the French as a prisoner, not the Americans, but he'd been in a french run prisoner of war camp. Apparently the French didn't share names. I liked how he explained to that he was different now since he'd been 'educated'.

Verity seems younger, but as a family without money she can marry someone who wants that 'good family' tie but she won't get the estate, and even with money not much of that. So she isn't up on top of the list on the marriage connection list. I do like the way the actress carries that reality into the way she presents herself.
Ross was educated. He wouldn't have a country accent. But Jud and Demelza did. Jud's accent was so strong that it was written into the dialog in the books.

You may be right about Ross being shot in the leg. That may have been in the books and it sounds vaguely familiar. I thought you were referring to the part when Dwight ends up in a French prison. Verity's spinsterhood was a big part of the story, as you know. I think this actress was miscast. You may be right about Aunt Agatha appearing in the beginning of the book, as well. I don't remember. I know that she was not in the early episodes of the first TV version and pretty sure that she lived/inherited her own home, not Trenwith, as that too, is a major story line. I didn't like the part with Aunt Agatha and the Tarot cards. That was certainly not in the original story and it doesn't fit her character. She was this very down-to-earth practical woman. She spoke very truthful, sometimes unladylike, comments, such as talking about Ross and his father into "whoring and drinking" and then laughing about it.

The producers are going to try to entice the fans of Downton Abbey into liking this drama and I hope they don't make it as soapy as Downton. Poldark may have been a family saga, but it was not a soap opera. This too, touched about class conflict, but also the political climate of the times, especially as they neared the French Revolution. I had read several interviews with Winston Graham and he was so upset when the first television version deviated from the book, he almost pulled the plug on the second series. I don't think he would be happy with this version as it deviated considerably from his story. The books are even funnier than the first television series and I hope they include the humor in this version. BTW, Alistair Cooke hated the first Poldark series. However, it keeps coming into the top ten of all time Masterpiece Theater programs.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:07 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,586,609 times
I bought the original series from Amazon recently and watched the first half so I am comparing it to this series with a fresh eye. So far I like the first one better and yes they are hurrying it, maybe to get Demalza into the story quickly.

I didn't like this one with Ross not talking to Elizabeth until she married, in the first one he pleaded with her not to go through with it but she did, and she said Ross was too wild for her anyway. It explains that part better and the first Elizabeth was played more straight laced like she would be more mild mannered than to be Ross's wife. This one makes Ross seem more mean about his cousin, etc. In the first when Francis fell into the water Ross pulled him out and said he was sorry, he forgot he couldn't swim, in this one he said he thought about letting him drown-----not nice.

Yes, Ross did limp when he first came back from his leg injury but he said it would get better with time, so he was in prison with a leg injury. Demelza seems milder in this version as well, she was more of a wild child in the first and living like an animal to survive.

Jed was a hoot in the first. He was so funny at times but I had a hard time knowing what he said with his thick accent. This Jed doesn't have that accent so I can understand him.

I see they repeated it 4 hours later and the Masterpiece web site says you can also watch it on there, probably after it is shown on TV, like the next day or so.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I bought the original series from Amazon recently and watched the first half so I am comparing it to this series with a fresh eye. So far I like the first one better and yes they are hurrying it, maybe to get Demalza into the story quickly.

I didn't like this one with Ross not talking to Elizabeth until she married, in the first one he pleaded with her not to go through with it but she did, and she said Ross was too wild for her anyway. It explains that part better and the first Elizabeth was played more straight laced like she would be more mild mannered than to be Ross's wife. This one makes Ross seem more mean about his cousin, etc. In the first when Francis fell into the water Ross pulled him out and said he was sorry, he forgot he couldn't swim, in this one he said he thought about letting him drown-----not nice.

Yes, Ross did limp when he first came back from his leg injury but he said it would get better with time, so he was in prison with a leg injury. Demelza seems milder in this version as well, she was more of a wild child in the first and living like an animal to survive.

Jed was a hoot in the first. He was so funny at times but I had a hard time knowing what he said with his thick accent. This Jed doesn't have that accent so I can understand him.

I see they repeated it 4 hours later and the Masterpiece web site says you can also watch it on there, probably after it is shown on TV, like the next day or so.
I'm not sure how many episodes there are but less than the first series, I think. They likely collapsed the first two into one to save time.

Apparently in the origional, Jud and some others had a posted translation added to the scenes in the BBC showings. Their normal policy is to keep regional accents and subtitle them. I think maybe they don't want to do that this time around. On Doc Martin, they use a carefully modified local accent since even today the locals from a long time can sound incomprehensible. On one of the add in bits with that show, one of the actors who's local did some of the dialog in pure Cornish. Good thing they modify it... I like Prudy. She's okay but so far Jud seems a little too civilized.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:37 AM

Looking forward to seeing next installment tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV