Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,803,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So, its the bald chic night at camp Xtina! So much for any hair product placement. Points to the Voice.

Meanwhile over at camp Shelton, bald ain't in and neither is the McCreery stand in. Another point goes to the Voice.

Question, for Cee-lo, wtf were you thinking when you chose "Addicted to Love"?!?!?

Catto's in-it-to-win it goes to Vicci Martinez.
That's what I think too. IMO, she's the only one who's got it all.

I'm starting to wonder about Blake and Xenia though. I hope his interest in her is purely paternal. She has an interesting voice, but she looks completely terrified all the time. It's hard to see her standing up to Beverly or Frenchie.

When that cowboy first said he was going to sing "Addicted to Love" I thought it would be interesting and if he'd done it sort of upbeat and campy, maybe it would have been. But he just seemed creepy to me.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:14 AM

31,384 posts, read 37,196,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm starting to wonder about Blake and Xenia though. I hope his interest in her is purely paternal.

Quote:
She has an interesting voice, but she looks completely terrified all the time.

Compared to the two who ARE terrified all the time, I think that she's a pretty ballsy performer. In the sing off, she sure didn't look terrified in the least bit, maybe you are reading something into how she felt about the song.

Quote:
It's hard to see her standing up to Beverly or Frenchie.
Maybe a stepladder might help.

Quote:
When that cowboy first said he was going to sing "Addicted to Love" I thought it would be interesting and if he'd done it sort of upbeat and campy, maybe it would have been. But he just seemed creepy to me.
When I first heard it I was fully anticipating a full on train wreck, and I wasn't in the least bit disappointed. The song is 90% attitude, and while there are some vocal possibilities, you've really got to be creative to take it to another place. Major Fail.

But, I hear you that it could have been pure country camp because based upon Shelton's Hillbilly Bone video, I am absolutely certain that it could have pulled it off with ease especially by a country artist like Blake.

YouTube - ‪Blake Shelton - Hillbilly Bone [feat. Trace Adkins] (Video)‬‏

This really isn't fair, but check out this version by the indomitable Diva de Tuti Diva, Tina Turner (recorded when she was...clears throat... 70!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGoiiwxTWeE

Last edited by ovcatto; 06-15-2011 at 10:25 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,817,034 times
Javier is amazing he has the better voice imo.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:12 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,305,554 times
Yeah - I think addicted to love could of been a good concept .... but guy just wasn't at all believable in working the campiness of the song

he should of been forced to watch the robert palmer video 100 times to get a feel for the attitude of the song .... florence & the machine do a pretty good cover .....

Not only did he completely whiff on the attitude, he just sounded awful .... he sounded awful in the group performance as well .... not sure if it was nerves or what, but being just a deep voiced country crooner isn't going to get you anywhere

Javier definitely can sing - but I'd like to see him do something a little different - something that could actually fill out an album - something that isn't a ballad (which he can nail)

I was surprised at the Xenia pick - but I think blake has a soft spot for her and given that he has so much personality and presence and she is fairly demure, it's an area where he can actually assist her with

The other guys seem to be what they are and I'm not sure what he could of done with them - except for trotting out the same exact thing next week .... they may of been better choices in winning, but Xenia has the potential to be a lot more interesting

Nothing unique about the other two guys - she has something though ..... I just don't think she would ever be a pop artist and probably needs more life experience, confidence, etc to tap into the type of music she would shine in .... an emotional song, sung with feeling with that voice would be amazing ....

Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

I was surprised at the Xenia pick
Jared Blake, not in the least bit surprising. A great bar singer and not much else.

As for Patrick, like a article that I posted on the AI thread about McCreery, I suspect that if you go to Nashville on any given day, you could explode a grenade in the middle of 5th St in Nashville and you couldn't miss hitting a thousand Patrick/McCreery clones.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:19 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,817,034 times
The bald wannabe rocker guy sucks it seems like he's trying too hard.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Compared to the two who ARE terrified all the time, I think that she's a pretty ballsy performer. In the sing off, she sure didn't look terrified in the least bit, maybe you are reading something into how she felt about the song.

Maybe a stepladder might help.

It just seems to me that Blake is extra emotionally invested in Xenia--when she finished her live performance he bounded out of his chair to give her a hug and no one else did that for any of their team members. And while she has an interesting voice, I think if he were picking purely on "the voice" he would have picked one of the guys. I really think that for whatever reason, he just likes her the best. *shrug* He's the coach.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
It just seems to me that Blake is extra emotionally invested in Xenia
Well hell, she's only 16 and acts like you would like to think that emerging 16 year olds would act like. Who wouldn't get all achey breaky heart about that?

Old 06-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Well hell, she's only 16 and acts like you would like to think that emerging 16 year olds would act like. Who wouldn't get all achey breaky heart about that?
LOL--I guess that's my point. She's a 16-year-old girl who looks like she has to be reminded to breathe any time the camera is pointed at her. I don't blame her for that, but it's a voice competition and her voice was pretty shaky during the battle round and the live performance. And let's not even talk about her stage presence. I'm just saying that I think that if Blake were judging solely on the contestants' voices, she would not have gotten this far.

And FWIW, little Raquel Castro is about the same age and totally rocked the place. I'm betting Disney has given her a call by now. They're about ready for some new talent anyway.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
LOL--I guess that's my point.

Quote:
I'm just saying that I think that if Blake were judging solely on the contestants' voices, she would not have gotten this far.
I don't know what Blake's thinking or strategy is but he's going home early.

Quote:
And FWIW, little Raquel Castro is about the same age and totally rocked the place. I'm betting Disney has given her a call by now. They're about ready for some new talent anyway.
I don't know about Disney... if only she had gotten to the quarter finals.

Anyway, Shut My Mouth and Slap Me Silly...

Just read Vicci Martinez's Wiki entry!

Four albums (of course putting out an album these days don't mean much considering all the mom and pop DIY record studios) but she has also "shared" the stage with some heavy hitter.

I used up all of my votes on her and Nykia, and trying to figure out which of her albums to download.

PS - She made Idol, and told them to jump in the ocean because she didn't like the contract. I'm in love! (well not really).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV