Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 11:11 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,410,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Can anyone please explain Adam ripping off his shirt to reveal a tee-shirt with "Team Xtina" on it. I just didn't get it.
In Ancient times when people couldn't mention the name Christ, they would use an X or draw a fish (with an X embedded in the connection between the body and tail of the fish) instead. The Fish being an acronym for Jesus Christ Son of God in Koine Greek -- ΙΧΘΥΣ (Ichthys) is an acronym for "Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ", (Iēsous Christos, Theou Yios, Sōtēr), which translates into English as "Jesus Christ, God's Son, Savior".

From Wikipedia "The "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ"

and

"In the 17th and 18th centuries, "Xene" and "Exene" were common spellings for the given name Christine. The American singer Christina Aguilera has sometimes gone by the name "Xtina" (the "t" should not be considered redundant; as is noted above, "Christ" was historically often shortened to "Xt", not just to X)."

Thus Xmas is short for Christmas. So XTina is short for Christina -- Get it? CHRIST Tina = XTina.

and now you know...

(sorry if that was TMI ... ;-D)

Old 05-08-2012, 11:57 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,566,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
OK - I just have to ask.
Who stole the bottom half of Christina Aguilera's outfit?
Does she know she walked out there in her undies with her singer?
Just askin'

The winner was well deserved.
Of all the contestants, it was the most consistent and powerful performance.

Spoiler
That was cool watching Jermaine sing his victory song in the arms of his wife.
LOL.......I briefly thought the same thing......in the beginning, I thought, 'well, she kinda looks decent (on top) tonight.........the hot pants were a 'surprise'.....

I'm glad they brought a lot of the others back......

Oh, no, what are we going to do on Monday and Tuesday nights now?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 AM

19,361 posts, read 16,915,378 times
Great season and a terrific show! Right up to the end, I wasn't sure if it would be Jermaine or Juliet. All four of the finalists are super singers. I wish them all the very best in their careers.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:05 AM

5,364 posts, read 8,604,764 times
They are all good, but I wanted the person who won to win! I just love that person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,363,261 times
I love most of the contestants all-around and I think many will find some escalation in their careers. Kim Yarborough, Erin, Jamar, etc.

I really loved the groupings. The Jackson 5 number was terrific, and I thought Pip sang his best.

And I don't know the song that Chris, Catrina, and . . . who was the third? . . sang but I really loved it.

Here's something really weird, though. Last night I thought to myself, "I'm surprised that no one has picked a Hall 'n' Oats song to sing" and then 'Rich Girl' began to play in my head. Tonight the duo ~ who broke up long ago ~ performs the song!

It's been a fun ride but don't know if I'll watch it next time or not.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,563,088 times
Christine looked like she was parading around with bedazzled underware.

I was happy with tonights winner.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:53 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,359,908 times
I didn't see the show but am happy to learn that this winner won Well deserved! Happy for the coach too!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:52 AM

6,903 posts, read 7,672,675 times
Yuhuhuk! I'm so disappointed in the winner. What a dime a dozen voice! It's obvious that mainly young women vote. My prediction is that the only one of the final four who will have a successful mega career is Juliet.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:35 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,366,459 times
Quote:
OK - I just have to ask.
Who stole the bottom half of Christina Aguilera's outfit?
Does she know she walked out there in her undies with her singer?
Just askin'

The winner was well deserved.
Of all the contestants, it was the most consistent and powerful performance.

Spoiler
That was cool watching Jermaine sing his victory song in the arms of his wife.
Agree on all! It was touching to see him singing as she held him.

Especially agree on Xtina's underwear...maybe she still thinks she 17 and skinny? I have a far broader beam than hers now but even if I were in showbiz I wouldn't dress like she does!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 AM

758 posts, read 1,647,835 times
Quote:
In Ancient times when people couldn't mention the name Christ, they would use an X or draw a fish (with an X embedded in the connection between the body and tail of the fish) instead. The Fish being an acronym for Jesus Christ Son of God in Koine Greek -- ΙΧΘΥΣ (Ichthys) is an acronym for "Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ", (Iēsous Christos, Theou Yios, Sōtēr), which translates into English as "Jesus Christ, God's Son, Savior".

From Wikipedia "The "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ"

and

"In the 17th and 18th centuries, "Xene" and "Exene" were common spellings for the given name Christine. The American singer Christina Aguilera has sometimes gone by the name "Xtina" (the "t" should not be considered redundant; as is noted above, "Christ" was historically often shortened to "Xt", not just to X)."

Thus Xmas is short for Christmas. So XTina is short for Christina -- Get it? CHRIST Tina = XTina.

and now you know...

(sorry if that was TMI ... ;-D)
I actually did know the reasoning behind the name. I thought it was more of a dig at "X-Tina" because she was calling out Tony/Adam/99 Problems for being degrading, but when she was "X-Tina" she was Dirrrrty and when she was "Christina" she was a bit more classy.

I was SOOO disappointed last night. The Jackson 5 song was pure gold, but everything else (including Beiber's song) was garbage! I loved the Blake/Adam bromance thing, but I didn't really need more and more and MORE focus on the coaches when it was supposed to be about the contestants.

I'm glad that Juliet didn't win after her "I don't see any of the guys as competition for me" thing on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV