Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 07:30 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,119,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
LML, I'll watch just about any of these shows LOL - my sister used to be the same as you but now she also watches AGT.

LL, yes, I enjoyed the antics - especially between those two. They're also my favorite mentors - I think they do the best, most thoughtful, job with their charges.

Some comments on last night's show...

I thought the opening with the judges singing Start Me Up was sucky.

Terry - the Scotsman who sang Teenage Wasteland - I knew he'd choose Blake and his son was like a mini-me version of his dad!

De'borah (sp?) - Blake tickled me when he turned his chair around and didn't hold back his "whoa" reaction LOL. I liked her but am not expecting her to last til the final.

Gracia - the country yodeler - she was the stand-out of the night, IMO. She looked and sounded great and had fantastic energy and stage presence.

Devyn - sang Christina's song Ain't No Other Man - gotta give her props and she already looks like a little starlet.

Bryan - from Bronx, NY - he's in my top three from last night - his dad was so huggable when he broke down after Bryan said his dad inspired him

Daniel - kid who returned - I wasn't as blown away by him as they were

Trevin - soft spoken bear from Queens - he was the other stand-out of the night, IMO, and rounds out my top three
I agree with your assessments. Gracia, Bryan, and Tevin are the ones I'd pick too.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,732,142 times
I watched and enjoyed it, but I wish they would give the drama/sob stories a break. It's so annoying. It cracked me up that all they could come up with for Devyn was that she was shy until the 8th grade. Oh the tragedy!!!!! She's drop-dead gorgeous and can sing and there's nothing wrong with that. Why does everyone have to overcome adversity? Also, I wish the coaches would stop gushing to everyone that they've all got "it." In other words, more singing and less yapping!

I didn't hear Trevin, but agree that Gracia and Bryan were standouts.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:09 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,609,011 times
I like Bryan best then Trevin. I love country music and I love "Cowboy's Sweetheart." But I didn't like Gracia's rendition of it. I don't think she's the best country singer they've ever had on "The Voice."

I love watching Adam and Blake jab at each other.

FYI, NBC is rebroadcasting last night's and tonight's episodes on Saturday night in case you miss/missed anything.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,509,133 times
I missed the first 10 minutes or so because I forgot it was on. This is the only reality show I like anymore, and I think it's because of the judge's personalities - especially Blake. I love that they are also competing, not just the contestants. BTW, I thought the #vestcard was a legitimate ploy even tho it didn't work. lol

Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,556,223 times
I love this show. They need to cut out all the backstory stuff, but thankfully there is an invention called a DVR for that. I like that the judges get to pick and then the contestant also gets to pick (assuming more than one judge picks them). So far, I am really liking the choices they have- there are some excellent voices in this bunch. That is what I listen for- I want to hear a voice that just blows me away. I also am enjoying all the good humor between the judges.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,607,292 times
Just like with Idol, I think I'm one of the few who actually enjoys the selection process before the real competition begins - including seeing the personal stories.

Last night wasn't as good as the first - no real stand outs, IMO. Some of the banter was fun, though. Blake was cracking me up but I think the funniest bit was listening to Adam do his generic southern accent.

I remember being an adult when Xtina was coming up so it was depressing to hear Adriana say she was 9 when she bought her first album and it was one of Xtinas. My first album purchase was by Ringo Starr!

Aquile and Julio probably were my favorites from last night. McKenzie was ok but mostly I kept thinking he looked like a mix of De'borah from night one and David Byrne from Talking Heads!

Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,709,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Just like with Idol, I think I'm one of the few who actually enjoys the selection process before the real competition begins - including seeing the personal stories.

Last night wasn't as good as the first - no real stand outs, IMO. Some of the banter was fun, though. Blake was cracking me up but I think the funniest bit was listening to Adam do his generic southern accent.

I remember being an adult when Xtina was coming up so it was depressing to hear Adriana say she was 9 when she bought her first album and it was one of Xtinas. My first album purchase was by Ringo Starr!

Aquile and Julio probably were my favorites from last night. McKenzie was ok but mostly I kept thinking he looked like a mix of De'borah from night one and David Byrne from Talking Heads!

Gotta agree with you about last night's talent..no real stand out for me either. I hope tonight's talent will be better.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:08 PM

758 posts, read 1,641,967 times
I love the show, but I'm beginning to hate the sob stories.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:26 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,509,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I love the show, but I'm beginning to hate the sob stories.
I don't mind hearing a little about their lives, but I hate that every single one of them seems to have had a really rough life. I start wondering if alot of the stories aren't made up, or at least exaggerated. I'd love to have one come on and say they love their supportive parents who are both still alive, and they have always been healthy and popular and they had the happiest childhood anyone could ever hope for.

I'd be happier if they cut the time spent on life stories in half and use the rest of the time for judge bantering.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:43 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,245,661 times
Love the talent!! Like the judges. What I get annoyed at is the sexist stuff that comes out of the judges mouths..I know they are probably going for the cheap laugh, but it is too predictable..and gets a little old. I wonder how this creeps these people out sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV